Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Advice on looper app setup with timestreching for DJ style transitions

Hi all,

I am currently using an ipad with Flux:FX as a multi-effect for an hardware rig. One of the basic thing I do with it is using the Stutter effect as a looper that I trigger from a midi controller so that I can make 4 bars loops to make smooth transition to other songs, doing volume crossfades between the looped part and the audio from the next song from the hardware input. On top of this, I use AUM as a mixer where I can route the different channels from my audio interface into Flux:FX so that I can loop only a specific track (ie. I can loop my drummachine while keeping the live signal from my synth so that I can transparently change the track on the drum machine).

This works fine except that Flux:FX doesn't have timestretching support, and therefore makes it impossible to do tempo changes during these transitions.

I therefore thought I could instead find a Looping app that has timestretching to handle these transitions. I've tried Loopy as it seemed to be the most popular one, with solid midi bindings, but unfortunately I can not route any specific channel to it from AUM or Audiobus, it's only supporting the global audio input.

Anyone using an app to do something similar?

My requirements:

• Midi binding to start/stop looping
  • Synced with midi clock
  • Timestreches automatically and in real time with midi clock tempo changes
  • Can receive input from a specific channel (ie. so that I can set it up as an insert or send effect in AUM)
  • Can toggle monitoring off so that the input sound stops being heard when the loop is playing
  • Ideally stable and not too cpu hungry, obviously ;)

I am currently looking into Loopverse and Blockwave but it's a bit hard to know if my setup can be attained without buying them, trying them and figuring out the issues along the way... so I thought some people may have their experience to share before I dive into any of them and find it the hard way.

Thanks in advance for any tip or other app suggestions! :blush:
JG

Comments

• Loopy should work as AB reciever like I show in this pics with GTL.

Maybe I'm missing something?

• edited August 2017

Yep this is doable with Loopy. Can you describe why you can't get multi channel into Loopy? Is it that AB is not recognizing the multiple channels of the interface? Does AUM?

• AFAIK it isn't possible multichannel output but maybe you can try multiple AB channels and check if AUM recognized each stream.
    Usually AUM/AB is used as send so multiple takes is done with switching channels into AUM bus send into AB. It require midi binding on Loopy side to record each part in the right slot and doesn't let user to multi record in the same round.
    I could be wrong since I left all this mess sometime ago and maybe someone like @RustiK could bring some light.
    Also asking directly @j_liljedahl and Michael (I don't remember the user to tag him) and see what they say.

• edited August 2017

Thank you so much @Dubbylabby, I have managed to connect it to an AB channel as on your screenshot and it's working perfectly.

I am still wrapping my head around the whole iaa/audiobus routing, sorry if that was a beginner's mistake ;)

• Don't worry mate!
    We are here to share and learn. I'm glad you finally manage a solution based on something I brang :wink:

Cheers!

• Looptunes is my favorite for many things in this general area you are speaking.

The app is cleverly done combining the best of grid pads and the DJ mindset.

• @RustiK said:
    Looptunes is my favorite for many things in this general area you are speaking.

The app is cleverly done combining the best of grid pads and the DJ mindset.

First thing I thought of. The cross fader is tops!

• But it does loop recording like live looping? I don't remember that...

• edited August 2017

BM3

• Thanks all for your advices.

I ended up keeping Flux:FX as a looper. I haven't found anything else that can do syncronized loop with wet-dry with a single midi message.

Hopefully it will be updated someday for 64-bit (seems like abandonware at the moment, it's such a shame)