Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Piano poll

1235»

Comments

• @McDtracy said:

@richardyot said:
    I think the Ravenscroft has the best sound when the sustain pedal is down: much richer than any of the others. But then of course if you keep the pedal down the crackles come in....

I bought the American D last night and I quite liked it: warmer than the Ivory, and more suited to softer playing. But when the sustain pedal is down the resonance isn't as rich as the Ravenscroft.

That's an excellent observation to add to the comaprison. UVI's Ravenscroft nailed "sympathetic string vibration" compared to the others. I'd guess it requires adding a special "reverb" effect or adding extra harmonics to the mix but it does make the experience. The RC275 is @Linearlineman's favorite piano and he logged many hours of flight time on a Steinway Grand and has 5 albums of solo jazz piano music. So, for me his opinion speaks volumes on the question "Does it sound like a piano to you?" I remember when he got it and

... stayed up playing it all night.

• @McDtracy said:

@McDtracy said:

@richardyot said:
    I think the Ravenscroft has the best sound when the sustain pedal is down: much richer than any of the others. But then of course if you keep the pedal down the crackles come in....

I bought the American D last night and I quite liked it: warmer than the Ivory, and more suited to softer playing. But when the sustain pedal is down the resonance isn't as rich as the Ravenscroft.

That's an excellent observation to add to the comaprison. UVI's Ravenscroft nailed "sympathetic string vibration" compared to the others. I'd guess it requires adding a special "reverb" effect or adding extra harmonics to the mix but it does make the experience. The RC275 is @Linearlineman's favorite piano and he logged many hours of flight time on a Steinway Grand and has 5 albums of solo jazz piano music. So, for me his opinion speaks volumes on the question "Does it sound like a piano to you?" I remember when he got it and

... stayed up playing it all night.

That's Great - You had inspiration - Looks like the Ravenscroft is popular.

I also see the Salamander is came up one of the best. For those who have not played with it yet - how would you explain the character of that one compared to Ravenscroft? When would you use one over the other?

Thx

• @McDtracy said:

As with my thoughts on the BeatHawk's Acoustic Grand I want to add reverb but start with none. I have better reverbs in my tool box like "Altispace" which accurately models room characteristics using "Impulse Response" measurements that get "Convoluted" by this reverb to recreate the sound physics of various rooms, halls, etc. @VirSyn's AudioReverb is also a great reverb with great piano rooms and reverb plate simulations.

Are you dialling down the track reverb within BeatHawk? The raw samples sound dry enough to my ears. BH Acoustic Grand/AUFX:Space is my favourite piano/effect combo right now.

• @StMichaels said:
    I also see the Salamander is came up one of the best. For those who have not played with it yet - how would you explain the character of that one compared to Ravenscroft? When would you use one over the other?

Thx

The Salamander is brighter than the Ravenscroft and Module D IMO. Sits well in a mix, but not so nice to play on its own for me (might be well suited for jazz though).

• tjatja
    edited November 2018

@richardyot said:

@StMichaels said:

Thx

The Salamander is brighter than the Ravenscroft and Module D IMO. Sits well in a mix, but not so nice to play on its own for me (might be well suited for jazz though).

Now, in the Piano Poll, the Apps plays solo.
    And the Salamander did beat Ravenscroft.

So, this may be a point that the above is your personal feeling, but but necessarily a fact.

• @tja said:
    Now, in the Piano Poll, the Apps plays soll.
    And the Salamander did beat Ravenscroft.

So, this may be a point that the above is your personal feeling, but but necessarily a fact.

Absolutely, as I said not so nice to play on its own for me. Whether you like your piano bright or dark is always a subjective call IMO.

• @McDtracy said:
    Please keep sharing you experiences with these amazing IOS instruments for the piano enthusiasts on the forum.

Well, to chime in with a bit of my own experience, I have and compared Korg Module, iGrand, CMP, and Ravenscroft. (No IAPs, just stock pianos of all.) I did no sound tweaking, just stuck with the presets. I think Ravenscroft was head and shoulders above the others. As I mentioned, in the earlier post, I'm interested in people's opinions about the Beathawk IAP because I might be simultaneously running Beathawk and other apps anyway, and if their lesser Beathawk piano still has a good deal of the Ravenscroft character, I was thinking maybe I'd still find it "good enough" and be able to get by running one less app.

• p.s. - repeating my earlier request, since this poll is obsolete, could someone post which of the 8 pianos are which? Or PM me the list if you prefer? Thanks!