Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad to Mac MIDI connection over USB? [SOLVED]

edited July 2017 in General App Discussion

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the iPad would soon be able to connect MIDI to Mac over a simple plug and play USB connection, sort of like how you can now send audio from iPad to Mac by plug and play (well maybe not instant plug and play, but no interface needed, just enable iPad audio input within the Mac Audio MIDI system app).

Is this true? If so, is it coming in an update anytime soon?

Comments

• I heard about it too and was in an impresiion that it has been already implemented a quite while back. I have been using bluetooth midi between my ipad and macbook. No need for usb, as the latency is pretty much non existent.

• yeah in the betas there is inter device midi over usb and it works very well. one port with 16 channels. also one stereo audio channel ios to mac.

• I've used MidiMux, which is free, successfully with PC. Sez it works with Mac too.

• Yes, you can do it already. I tried it the other day and had Xynthesizr sending MIDI while synced with Link to Ableton Live on the Mac. Had to fiddle about with that Audio MIDI utility on the Mac for a bit

• @Jocphone said:
    Yes, you can do it already. I tried it the other day and had Xynthesizr sending MIDI while synced with Link to Ableton Live on the Mac. Had to fiddle about with that Audio MIDI utility on the Mac for a bit

Yeh, as everyone knows, PCs are a lot easier to use. B)

• @wim said:

@Jocphone said:
    Yes, you can do it already. I tried it the other day and had Xynthesizr sending MIDI while synced with Link to Ableton Live on the Mac. Had to fiddle about with that Audio MIDI utility on the Mac for a bit

Yeh, as everyone knows, PCs are a lot easier to use. B)

• @Jocphone said:

Really? B) How do you set it up using the Audio MIDI app for Mac?

• Studiomux - that's what I use.

• @1P18 said:

@Jocphone said:

Really? B) How do you set it up using the Audio MIDI app for Mac?

Yes, really.

Don't remember exactly where I read it but the steps went something like: (with iPad plugged into Mac using Lightning -> USB cable)

1. On iOS set Xynthesizr running add "Network Session" (whatever it's called) as MIDI output. Enable Link if required.
    2. On Mac have Ableton open and ensure that "Monitor" for a channel is on. Probably easiest to use "All Inputs" and "All Channels" at first. Enable Link if required.
    3. Open Audio MIDI setup, open the MIDI window, double click "Network"
    4. Eventually your iOS device will appear under "Directory" click on "Connect"
    5. I think I also set both "Live Routings" drop downs to "Network Session 1"

Thats as much as I remember. A bit of tryings then it just worked and I was able record MIDI directly from Xynthesizr.

Oh and turn off MIDI out in Ableton channels because that caused weird transposing back in Xynthesizr, a feedback loop I guess.

Also MIDI setup crashed most times I closed the MIDI window but the setting continued working even when opening repeatedly.

HTH

• @Jocphone Network! All along I thought the Network selection was for WiFi only. I doubt I ever would have figured that out on my own. Thanks.

• @1P18 said:
    @Jocphone Network! All along I thought the Network selection was for WiFi only. I doubt I ever would have figured that out on my own. Thanks.

Me neither, think I found a blog post on ableton.com

• network is wifi

• If you're on a mac midimittr works flawlessly for midi and audio over lightning cable: midimittr by Matthias Frick
    https://appsto.re/gb/n_Ek3.i
    You have to download the mac app too, which is also free :)

• Is there a way to send audio out of my MacBook to and iPad via usb? I used to do it with my iconnectmidi2+ but it is currently awaiting update on firmware.