Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KASPAR: First Impressions?

I really, really love this app already.

Why?

Besides the sound quality and overall performance of the app?

The similar concept of multi timbres on a geoplane similar to Animoog. Being that Animoog is my favorite of all time, this now moves right up there.

AND ITS FUN!

Not tedious "programming" like some other synths at times.

And if anything, in the beginning things are frustrating, but not here.

They also blend their rich history of effects and lay it out in an amazingly simple yet high functionality.

I LOVE IT.

What say you?

Comments

• @RustiK said:

Why?

The similar concept of multi timbres on a geoplane similar to Animoog. Being that Animoog is my favorite of all time, this now moves right up there.

AND ITS FUN!

They also blend their rich history of effects and lay it out in an amazingly simple yet high functionality.

I LOVE IT.

What say you?

I agree and I look forward to hearing one of your preset banks for it too, I'll bet your already working on one right?

• @RustiK said:

Why?

AND ITS FUN!

I LOVE IT.

What say you?

Can I has preset bank please ? :P

• Thank God I ignored the army of users complaining of poor presets and questionable sound quality. I'm having a ball with this synth and have created some great sounding patches. Workflow is great as you can copy layers withing a patch or paste in from other presets and there is so much power to explore. Having said that I stripped it right back to the init patch and created some great sounding stuff with just one oscillator. It is awesome piped into BM3. Top stuff :)

• same here. lots of fun to be had, with well designed workflows. I like it a lot so far. auv3 is brilliant too.

• @Trueyorky said:
    Thank God I ignored the army of users complaining of poor presets and questionable sound quality. I'm having a ball with this synth and have created some great sounding patches. Workflow is great as you can copy layers withing a patch or paste in from other presets and there is so much power to explore. Having said that I stripped it right back to the init patch and created some great sounding stuff with just one oscillator. It is awesome piped into BM3. Top stuff :)

I would add to my comment regarding presets - they are no worse or no better than any other synth I've got. Presets by their very nature are going to be a mixed bag on most synths for most people. Presets would never put me off buying a synth.

I can't see how people would think the actual sound quality is bad. This is undoubtedly a great synth and I see me using it a fair bit. My only problem is my aging iPad Air 2. This synth really pushes the older iPads.

• Kaspar loaded into BM3 as AU, i can´t seem to record parameter changes. Recording iSEM changes work perfectly just not Kaspars parameters.
    Then i assigned the Kaspars parameters to external midi and it reacts but midi cc´s don´t seem recordable by BM3 ? At least not yet ?

• I like it!

If I could wish for a few additional features they would be 'cross modulation' and a step-modulator/sequencer as an additional modulation source.

Sure it's quite a CPU hog but I'll manage with my Air 2 for quite some time to come...

• edited July 2017

@dreamrobe said:
    Kaspar loaded into BM3 as AU, i can´t seem to record parameter changes. Recording iSEM changes work perfectly just not Kaspars parameters.
    Then i assigned the Kaspars parameters to external midi and it reacts but midi cc´s don´t seem recordable by BM3 ? At least not yet

Kaspar's parameters don't seem to be accessible from BM3s 'Show AU knobs' page either. I assume this is the same reason, they don't record.

I haven't checked if they're accessible in AUM. Will do when I get in.

Maybe someone who knows about AU implementation can chime in, but I assume it's up to the individual developer to make them available for host apps to access?

Maybe this isn't possible due to Kaspar's extensive built in midi learn stuff...

• @Samu said:
    Sure it's quite a CPU hog but I'll manage with my Air 2 for quite some time to come...

Indeed... an Air 2 should not be considered an old device. It's still a really potent piece of computing hardware.

• @Trueyorky said:
    Thank God I ignored the army of users complaining of poor presets and questionable sound quality. I'm having a ball with this synth and have created some great sounding patches. Workflow is great as you can copy layers withing a patch or paste in from other presets and there is so much power to explore. Having said that I stripped it right back to the init patch and created some great sounding stuff with just one oscillator. It is awesome piped into BM3. Top stuff :)

Hey mate. How did you copy and paste a layer? I'm sure I've missed something, but I haven't been able to find the way. Would've made creating my first supersaw patch a breeze. :) Thanks.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Trueyorky said:

Hey mate. How did you copy and paste a layer? I'm sure I've missed something, but I haven't been able to find the way. Would've made creating my first supersaw patch a breeze. :) Thanks.

@jwmmakerofmusic edit then press and hold synth 1 or 2 etc., on the left hand side for all types of goodness. Import layers from other patches and copy paste in the current patch. Oh yes this would have made supersaw a breeze :)

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

Indeed... an Air 2 should not be considered an old device. It's still a really potent piece of computing hardware.

Yet it struggles with Kasper added to my setup. I can run my usual setup of a high loaded Gadget / AB / AUM / BeatHawk and loads of your own Phasemaker before getting any problems, yet take Kasper on medium quality setting with nothing else in AUM and my Air2 develops smokers cough!

• I'm absolutely loving this synth. and im not sure what people mean by it being a cpu hog.
    had 3 instances running in AUM along with Funk Drummer. and my cpu was below 60% in AUM with a buffer of 256.
    pretty sure i could run 5-6 instances at 512 comfortably.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'm absolutely loving this synth. and im not sure what people mean by it being a cpu hog.
    had 3 instances running in AUM along with Funk Drummer. and my cpu was below 60% in AUM with a buffer of 256.

What device?

• @Trueyorky said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Trueyorky said:

@jwmmakerofmusic edit then press and hold synth 1 or 2 etc., on the left hand side for all types of goodness. Import layers from other patches and copy paste in the current patch. Oh yes this would have made supersaw a breeze :)

:confounded: I am such a cotton-headed ninnymuggins. Lol, the solution was so simple. Thank you so much for helping me clear that mess up. :)

• Anyhoo, my first impressions are....while most of the presets range from "meh" to "sucks", this is my new bread-and-butter "desert island" synth. Sorry Poison, but unless you can create all the parts in a simple track in multiple patches like this....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngxxtoi5bfema6p/cheesy trance.m4a?dl=0

...you'll take second seat, thank you.

(No, seriously, here's the bank of multiple patches. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcsxrtdlct3dlit/Cheesy Trance Sounds.gbk?dl=0 Including the supersaw patch I told you about @Trueyorky . Hint - the Supersaw is divided into two keyboard zones. ;) You're welcome.)

This was just the simplistic stuff. Today, I'm heading into the vector synthesis territory with the custom morphing paths function and complex deep routing per synth layer. Step aside iWavestation, a better, deeper, more user-friendly player is in town.

• Think of a mixture between Supernova2 and Wavestation.

• This one is THE Synth where opinions differ widely ;-)

• @5pinlink said:
    So this synth is great for every type of sound ?
    Nobody is saying what type of sounds it is actually good for, so just wondering.

Well, in my opinion, it isn't going to replicate the sounds of an entire symphony orchestra (or could it?), but for a majority of electronic music genres (and by this, I don't just mean EDM!), this synth is a solid goto type of synth. So far, it seems quite adept at "supersaw" trance, at synthesized drums, at simpler basses, and at softer tones like this...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q9znzaib42w6qp/Scarborough Fair.m4a?dl=0

Those were just simplistic experiments to help me become accustomed to it. Today is "drones" day. Tomorrow should be "can it wubwub like Skrillex" day (or at least "can it PsyTrance"). Okay, and Sunday, I'll see if I can recreate the sounds of a symphony orchestra, or at least attempt to do something "Blade Runnerish".

I have a feeling this synth will turn out to excel at slightly softer sounds (whereas Poison can go harsher in a musical sense), but let's see what I can or can't do.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Anyhoo, my first impressions are....while most of the presets range from "meh" to "sucks", this is my new bread-and-butter "desert island" synth. Sorry Poison, but unless you can create all the parts in a simple track in multiple patches like this....

(No, seriously, here's the bank of multiple patches. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcsxrtdlct3dlit/Cheesy Trance Sounds.gbk?dl=0 Including the supersaw patch I told you about @Trueyorky . Hint - the Supersaw is divided into two keyboard zones. ;) You're welcome.)

Well done. That Trance Lead is awesome - you nailed it

• Just wish it was universal :(

How is this on the iPad mini 4? Perhaps I could find a deal on one those...

• @srcer said:
    Just wish it was universal :(

It is one of the few things that doesn't have me squinting on mine. So is BM3. It's been a good week :)

• @Trueyorky said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Anyhoo, my first impressions are....while most of the presets range from "meh" to "sucks", this is my new bread-and-butter "desert island" synth. Sorry Poison, but unless you can create all the parts in a simple track in multiple patches like this....

Well done. That Trance Lead is awesome - you nailed it

Thanks mate. :) Cheers.

• edited July 2017

@cian said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'm absolutely loving this synth. and im not sure what people mean by it being a cpu hog.

What device?

Air2. which surprised the heck outta me. all the forum posts made it seem like i could run 1-2 instances tops.
    the first AU instance does indeed show cpu usage of around 30-40. but it seems every subsequent instance uses less and less CPU. AUx can be confusing sometimes.

• @lnikj said:

@srcer said:
    Just wish it was universal :(

It is one of the few things that doesn't have me squinting on mine. So is BM3. It's been a good week :)

And you've struck at the very reason for considering an iPad mini 4 now (as apposed to a big boy later, well, not apposed just later later), using BM3 now! ;)

• edited July 2017

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Trueyorky said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Trueyorky said:

:confounded: I am such a cotton-headed ninnymuggins. Lol, the solution was so simple. Thank you so much for helping me clear that mess up. :)

I AM NINNYMUGGINS

Hey. Just a matter of basic solidarity. And, yep, thanks Mister Yorky. Good simple tip....

• I like this too. The initial audio demos put me off but there's a lot under the hood and easy to tweak.
    It's great you can copy and paste different layers from the different patches and everything's in the AU, I've not even opened the standalone since I bought it. A randomiser would be nice.

I like the modulations feature. Yonac do seem to make a big song and dance about the "morph" idea. but is it actually morphing other than mixing between the synth groups?

• @thesoundtestroom said:

@RustiK said:

Why?

AND ITS FUN!

I LOVE IT.

What say you?

I agree and I look forward to hearing one of your preset banks for it too, I'll bet your already working on one right?

KORRECTO

I am shocked at how I made KASPAR squeal like a pig last night!

• @5pinlink said:
    Nobody is saying what type of sounds it is actually good for, so just wondering.

ALL

Any

Every

and even the good stuff.

I am amazed at the variety of sounds.

LayR and Kaspar have proverbally shut shit down in the vortex I call my creative place.

I have disconnected from the matrix and on some really cool shit.

• @RustiK said:

@5pinlink said:

ALL

Any

Every

and even the good stuff.

I am amazed at the variety of sounds.

LayR and Kaspar have proverbally shut shit down in the vortex I call my creative place.

I have disconnected from the matrix and on some really cool shit.

Yep, I am loving my Kaspar. So so good.