Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS ambient toolbox suggestions please

Ok

I think I'm just gonna focus on ambient stuff

My idea is to use AUM and record into GarageBand because of built in alchemy

I think it's a done deal that layr is the best synth for soundscapes but I need suggestions for others too and reverbs

I have AUFX space and the virsyn reverb, but many new ones have come out..which is the best and why?

Also any other apps that you feel are suited to ambient, please suggest away

Comments

• Here's what I have and love:

imaginando DRC
    Moog Model 15
    apesoft Mood
    Rippplemaker
    iDensity
    AudioDamage EOS2
    RP-1
    RF-1
    SugarBytes WOW
    Crystalline
    Xynthesizr
    AudioDamage DubStation
    Amazing Noises Reverb
    Modstep for sequencing
    Yonac ToneStack

There are a few more, but that's a healthy list :)

• edited July 2017

Ok

I think it's a done deal that layr is the best synth for soundscapes but I need suggestions for others too and reverbs

I have AUFX space and the virsyn reverb, but many new ones have come out..which is the best and why?

the recently released Synthscaper looks like it's built for ambient!

• Check out the new Audio Damage Eos2 reverb for severe lushness!

Amazing Noises DubFilter and GliderVerb are excellent and free.

• As a note, you can create unusual ambient soundscapes by extremely speeding up or slowing down audio sources.

Take a ready made song and slow it down (AudioStretch)

Take any Synth and pump up the clock rate to 300+ for the sequence. If you use Xynthesizr you can get evolving pads using the randomize button. It works best with only one to 3 steps.

• @audiblevideo said:
    If you use Xynthesizr you can get evolving pads using the randomize button. It works best with only one to 3 steps.

Nice tip! I've occasionally tried something like that, using the random arpeggiator, but triggering soft pad sounds with slow attack and release, so it comes out as a continually evolving chord sound

For 'scaping I reach for
    Soundscaper for background sounds,
    Borderlands for drones,
    Dr Om for more drones,
    Sqrt for rustling noises,
    GrainProc for weird granular delays,
    iDensity for scary background noise,
    Samplr for the bow tool,
    Choose your synth,
    a looper to build up a bed of sound from using the other apps.

Here's a cool video from Jakob, about making evolving pads in borderland:

https://youtu.be/fi6WUiwQCbc

• @Halftone said:

Ok

the recently released Synthscaper looks like it's built for ambient!

Synthscaper is definitely built for ambient - it's almost its entire reason for being. You can create drones just by accident. Enable the arps, hit hold, press key. Done.

• Droneo. Run it through some effects and get beautiful evolving drones.

AUM, set up some complex routings with feedback between channels, play with filtering, reverb, delays.

I think I want Synthscaper(?, I do like Fieldscaper and Soundscaper), but I have mostly heard sameish stringy sounds from it, which is the part of ambient I´m not too fond of (unless in small doses). Hoping for some more varied example videos from that app.

• Loopy. Not only for building up scapes but it will do the crazy time stretched ambient thing if you start with a high tempo and then slow the captured recordings way way down.

• LayR
    Sliver(automation makes it top notch)
    Droneo
    SynthScraper
    iDensity (ApeSoft)
    Mobius (AMazing Noises)
    SamplR (No LINK is a good thing for ambient you can play games BPM for amazing pass thrus)

Tried to keep it current.

• A combination of Moebius, Droneo, AudioStretch, and AUFX:Dub would take you very farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• @bleep said:
    Droneo. Run it through some effects and get beautiful evolving drones.

AUM, set up some complex routings with feedback between channels, play with filtering, reverb, delays.

I think I want Synthscaper(?, I do like Fieldscaper and Soundscaper), but I have mostly heard sameish stringy sounds from it, which is the part of ambient I´m not too fond of (unless in small doses). Hoping for some more varied example videos from that app.

If you put different kinds of samples in (drums, chimes, whatever), you can make all kinds of things in Synthscaper. I don't find that it's limited to string sounds.

• Mitosynth blender mode is also great for creating ambient sound(scapes). When you use a max of 32 samples you can press and hold a chord/note and it will slowly evolve the sound for minutes before you start to hear the same sound again (assign a very slow lfo to the blender). You can use the build in synth, imported samples or both. It has a small learning curve but once you get the hang you will be addicted for a long time especially when sampling all your fav synth presets and blend them inside mitosynth.

• Shoom? Anyone? Shoom?

• +1 Mitosynth

• @oddSTAR said:
    Shoom? Anyone? Shoom?

All Shoom

• EOS2 is at the top of the iOS reverb chain in my opinion. Very natural decay and it's modulation characteristics add a LOT of dimension. And it can get huge (or infinite!) if that is what you're after. The other two are Amazing Noise Reverb....which actually is amazing. And FabFilter Pro-R, which is unfortunately locked away in Auria, but worth the cost of entry if you're looking for best of the best standalone reverbs on iOS.

Also, I find that ToneStack by Yonac is one of the most inspiring effects apps around. I think it's kind of pigeonholed as a "guitar amp sim" app, which makes sense for obvious reasons. But some of the effects in there (delays, reverbs, modulation, etc.) are simply amazing. Particularly when you start chaining them together. So if textural ambient stuff is your mission I'd say definitely check out ToneStack.

• @brice said:

Also, I find that ToneStack by Yonac is one of the most inspiring effects apps around. I think it's kind of pigeonholed as a "guitar amp sim" app, which makes sense for obvious reasons. But some of the effects in there (delays, reverbs, modulation, etc.) are simply amazing. Particularly when you start chaining them together. So if textural ambient stuff is your mission I'd say definitely check out ToneStack.

Agree with you about ToneStack.
    I actually do 80%-90% of my recordings with just ToneStack's 8track recorder. I often chain it's many wonderful effects with nary a guitar in sight.

• Mitosynth, Droneo, and Borderlands Granular will keep you busy for awhile.

• edited July 2017

@brice said:
    EOS2 is at the top of the iOS reverb chain in my opinion. Very natural decay and it's modulation characteristics add a LOT of dimension. And it can get huge (or infinite!) if that is what you're after. The other two are Amazing Noise Reverb....which actually is amazing. And FabFilter Pro-R, which is unfortunately locked away in Auria, but worth the cost of entry if you're looking for best of the best standalone reverbs on iOS.

Mmhhh, i find it not really huge nor has it that depth in sound but it´s a good reverb in general for iOS.
    Still my fav on iOS for ambient is AudioReverb from Virsyn (often combined with a second reverb).
    But i´m still surprised that i like the reverb in TF8 the most...sadly i can´t change much parameters there or use it as pure FX unit.

• Otherwise my vote goes to Mitosynth, Synthscaper, Animoog, Model 15, Borderlands, NanoStudio, some good FX like AudioReverb, Crystalline etc.
    I like to use synthesis in combination with acoustic sounds.
    Extrem time stretching is nice too.
    But of course you can use everything for ambient, soundscapes in general. I find the FX here more important as f.e. good synthesis.
    Alchemy is awesome here too but i don´t use it anymore on iOS since the good old version is doomed.
    It was indeed my main instrument in the day back i was an iOS only producer.
    The Roli Seaboard 5D (not that crab other app called noise 5D) is maybe the most interesting here but they cut that wonderful instrument from any import/export beside directly record the output physical into your DAW.

• @Cib said:

@brice said:
    EOS2 is at the top of the iOS reverb chain in my opinion. Very natural decay and it's modulation characteristics add a LOT of dimension. And it can get huge (or infinite!) if that is what you're after. The other two are Amazing Noise Reverb....which actually is amazing. And FabFilter Pro-R, which is unfortunately locked away in Auria, but worth the cost of entry if you're looking for best of the best standalone reverbs on iOS.

Mmhhh, i find it not really huge nor has it that depth in sound but it´s a good reverb in general for iOS.
    Still my fav on iOS for ambient is AudioReverb from Virsyn (often combined with a second reverb).
    But i´m still surprised that i like the reverb in TF8 the most...sadly i can´t change much parameters there or use it as pure FX unit.

I stand corrected. AudioReverb wasn't on my radar. At first I found myself wishing it had more of that depth / dimension / movement that comes from introducing modulation into the signal. So I inserted an instance of FAC Chorus before the signal going into AudioReverb ......and I think I may have just uncovered reverb nirvana on this device. You were very much correct in your statements.

And yes....I don't know what the hell is going on with that reverb in TF8 but it is incredible. Perhaps we should bombard the developer with pleas to release it as a standalone effect!

• I like Refractions, more control than Soundscaper

• @touchconspiracy2017

Your welcome,

In blender or gridcore mode (which is an advanced blender mode) you need to assign the lfo to the morph%. My fav is the sine lfo, but you can use whatever lfo you prefer and play with the min an max value and lfo speed.

• @brice said:

@Cib said:

@brice said:

I stand corrected. AudioReverb wasn't on my radar. At first I found myself wishing it had more of that depth / dimension / movement that comes from introducing modulation into the signal. So I inserted an instance of FAC Chorus before the signal going into AudioReverb ......and I think I may have just uncovered reverb nirvana on this device. You were very much correct in your statements.

And yes....I don't know what the hell is going on with that reverb in TF8 but it is incredible. Perhaps we should bombard the developer with pleas to release it as a standalone effect!

I already have done that but i think it´s not his own algorithm and just made for the synth.
    It´s still far away from my all time favorite B2 (indeed maybe my favorite tool ever) but it is the closest on iOS.
    I love really huge and lush reverb without that aliasing and metal ringing. TF8 got it right. But of course you can´t really edit it in many ways.

• There are some amazing suggestions in this thread. I'm going to have to save it so I can check out all these apps in the future.
    I'll also say that sound & field scaper are both great apps for the ambient looping workflow.