Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Model 15 Dedicated Controller

Im in love with Model 15, its probably the best sounding software synth i've ever tried.
Today an idea crossed my mind: How could would it be to have a dedicated midi controller for it, like a miniature desktop version of the real Model 15, with patch cables and all. Kinda similar to the one Korg made for the MS-20 software (MS-20C).

How feasible would it be? I know model 15 has midi CC for every knob and switch, but is there any way to patch cables through midi messages?

It could be an amazing DIY project.

Comments

• rough estimation: 80 pots, 20 switches, 100 plugs, $500 in parts
    big soldering job
    1 microcontroller if Moog provided a software layer and someone to program the thing
    frontplate drilling and screening, wooden sides... ;)

• There's someone posted on the forum who was making one if you try a forum search via google....

• ..and there is no support for patch cables like it is done for iMS20
    at least for now

• edited July 2017

He made one for animoog and ms-20

You could probably ask this guy to make you one:

http://www.synth-project.de/controller_overview.html

• Moog sub phatty works great. Not enough knobs to fully map but enough for the usual suspects

• edited July 2017

Myself & Tom Simmert are creating custom controllers for the M15 app. It relies on using a Doepfer usb64 controller which , as the name suggests, allows up to 53 pots to be connected.
    I've got all this in a box ready to start when Quantum launches.....

As @Goozoon said: there is no support for patch cables like it is done for iMS20

but I'm going to print and build a panel that looks like the real model 15 (+ the apps extra section for the delay etc) - intend to build a Q960 sequencer or two afterwards also....

here is an example of my print (reduced and blurred of course - I have a high res one).

• @midiSequencer That doepfer thing sounds about as simple is a custom midi controller could possibly get, just plug the pots in to the header and you're done. Good find!

• Sounds awesome, tony.

I never snooped out how it works but I'm assuming the ms20 controller does something like convert each jack connection to a MIDI CC with a particular value (or NRPN, etc) and when it gets two of those in a row, it virtually connects the two jacks. Flipped for disconnecting. I wonder if the software respects 'bad' connections on the controller? I can't recall. Obviously with hardware you can plug anything into anything but the app itself doesn't support this, instead dimming out anything that wouldn't work.

I imagine Model 15 could fashion/support something along the same lines but re-creating all those jacks with a custom physical jack panel (that could convert insertions to MIDI) would be awfully expensive.

• @RustiK said:
    W

H

Y

hahahahahaha

• @syrupcore said:
    I never snooped out how it works but I'm assuming the ms20 controller does something like convert each jack connection to a MIDI CC with a particular value (or NRPN, etc) and when it gets two of those in a row, it virtually connects the two jacks. Flipped for disconnecting. I wonder if the software respects 'bad' connections on the controller? I can't recall. Obviously with hardware you can plug anything into anything but the app itself doesn't support this, instead dimming out anything that wouldn't work.

I have the MS-20ic and just checked the patch cables. They use MSB/LSB messages and coarse data entry in a combination that I can't quite figure out just by looking at it. But basically, the MSB is one end of the cable, the LSB is the other end and then the Data Entry might be the actual connection (not sure).

The u-He soft synth Bazille is patchable through MIDI controls in a very simple way. Basically each input port is a MIDI CC and values 1-75 (or whatever) are the possible output connections. Bazille won't let you do input-input or output-output anyways so it's a really great system to patch. I made a Lemur template (sorry it's a little buggy) if anyone wants to check it out: https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/661/

• @RustiK said:
    W

H

Y

because most ppl can't afford a real Moog Model 15 so a pretend one (albeit with control to the M15 app) is the next best thing!

• @midiSequencer said:

@RustiK said:
    W

H

Y

because most ppl can't afford a real Moog Model 15 so a pretend one (albeit with control to the M15 app) is the next best thing!

Come to think of it, I would actually prefer to have a controller+app (particularly if patching could be supported). It sounds so good, I could give a shit if it "matches the real thing" or not. Plus, presets, MIDI, tuning stability, no repairs, etc.

Maybe Moog will pull a Korg on us one day. Doubt it'll be anywhere close to 200 bucks though!

• @syrupcore said:

@midiSequencer said:

@RustiK said:
    W

H

Y

Come to think of it, I would actually prefer to have a controller+app (particularly if patching could be supported). It sounds so good, I could give a shit if it "matches the real thing" or not. Plus, presets, MIDI, tuning stability, no repairs, etc.

Maybe Moog will pull a Korg on us one day. Doubt it'll be anywhere close to 200 bucks though!

not sure its a direction they would go. Korg seem to be more experimental at the moment....