Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro to Denon AV, latency?

Just hooked up an iPad Pro 2 to a Denon AV controller using high quality cables. Stereo plugs into Denon, back to single stereo line, extended into the headphone socket of the iPad.

As this is a direct wired connection, I'd hoped that there would be no latency. But most music apps tried have a second or more before reacting. Also, some apps are invoking surround sound while others use the intended front stereo speakers.

Has anyone done this kind of thing and had more success? Or is latency, even when wired, something that can't be defeated?

Comments

• What apps? Why not using a usb audio interface? What latency settings?

• edited June 2017

@Dubbylabby said:
    What apps? Why not using a usb audio interface? What latency settings?

I've tried it with Auria Pro, Groovebox, Blocs Wave, Launchpad and AniMoog.

As for interface, I didn't think it would matter, being a direct connection. I mean, there is no problem listening through any headphones.

I do have a lightning to USB cable. The Denon has a USB port on the front panel, but this says it is for memory sticks. Besides which, I think the cable is for input not output. :'(

Latency settings. Not sure where I would set these? I can't see any such setting in the DeRemote app I use to control the Denon from the iPad.

• edited June 2017

Perhaps I'd have more success connecting via this gizmo? The Lightning Digital AV adaptor.

https://apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter?fnode=91

Hmmm, the reviews say it's rubbish anyway.

• edited June 2017

Hi @Zen210507!

Not sure about the internal interface less laggy than external interface with cck but Blocswave usually works without hussle so few suggestions.

• Use a proper audio cable to the phone connector. iOS devices has a special behaviour to allow headset mic on/off. Check this, we were discussing about plugging piezo mics into phones and it arised the issue I try to point you.
      https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/16361/using-impaktor-with-a-drum-pad-and-other-neat-percussions-setups/p1

• In addition to that try soft reset (push power button until "swipe to off" appears, then releasing pressing it, push "home" button until home skips the "swipe to off" screen.

• Restarting your devices could be useful too.

About latency Audiobus let's you choose the latency with it. I understand you don't need Audiobus but could be helpful to check if something is wrong with your device or it requires a hard reset.

Could you link info about the denon av controller, please?

Probably I miss something but try and give us more feedback, mate :wink:

• Okay, thanks for that. Will give it a go. I use AudioBus, so will fiddle with that, too.

The manual for the Denon is here -

https://manualslib.com/products/Denon-Avr-X3000-3037413.html

• Also reading again your first post I have doubt about monitoring and feeback...
    What are you trying to accomplish? Do you are aware that input throught phones is mono signal, right?

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Also reading again your first post I have doubt about monitoring and feeback...
    What are you trying to accomplish? Do you are aware that input throught phones is mono signal, right?

Errr, the signal out is from a the 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, into stereo input on the Denon.

What I'm trying to accomplish, is to play music apps out through the headphone socket into the Denon. This works, and in stereo. The only problem is something causing latency.

• edited June 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@Dubbylabby said:
    Also reading again your first post I have doubt about monitoring and feeback...

Errr, the signal out is from a the 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, into stereo input on the Denon.

What I'm trying to accomplish, is to play music apps out through the headphone socket into the Denon. This works, and in stereo. The only problem is something causing latency.

It's what I understood first but trying to see the problem (since what you want should work without issues) made me read twice and get more confused, sorry :bawling:
    Just trying to state we were talking about the same. I will describe the audio in the oppossite way... stereo jack plug into iDevice, cable from there into line rca input at denon and so... Anyways, the impaktor topic talks about dplug system (irig design) where iDevice require a set of resistance to the 4 rings jack connector to work properly. Not sure if stereo jack brings these problems you have or it's due system (that's why I advice for soft reset or power off/on the device)

• a plain stereo plug works fine to get stereo line(ish) out from the ipad. be sure the input you are using on the denon is set to stereo line mode.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    a plain stereo plug works fine to get stereo line(ish) out from the ipad. be sure the input you are using on the denon is set to stereo line mode.

>

Okay, will give this a try later today. Thanks Dubbylabby and WellingtonCres for your input.

BTW, a couple of developers also agree that what I am trying to do should work a latency so low as to be virtually unnoticeable. So the problem is likely something simple overlooked.

• Do you have any DSP enabled on the Denon or is it in Bypass mode (if it has one)?

• @gusgranite said:
    Do you have any DSP enabled on the Denon or is it in Bypass mode (if it has one)?

>

Nope. No DSP.

Will fiddle about and hope to find some small change that needs to be made.

• There are probably a couple of reasons why an AV amp will introduce latency, but a whole second? Sounds strange... You mentioned DSP is off, does your Denon have a "direct" or "pure" or even "game" mode? This should disable any kind of AV processing on that channel, giving you lowest latency. Also, is there any multi-room or wireless speaker stuff going on? That could throw in a delay while the amp digitises the sound for remote play. What happens when you play music using the Apple Music app, does pressing pause/play get delayed as well?

• edited June 2017

@Durwin99 said:
    ..., does your Denon have a "direct" or "pure" or even "game" mode? This should disable any kind of AV processing on that channel, giving you lowest latency.

>

Strangely, doing what I was last night, the system is working better. If I made a change I don't know what it was. Anyway, the result is beautiful sound with no noticeable latency from either a player or a music app.

The one thing I have yet to conquer is that everything is using the rear speakers! It should be an easy matter to switch this, but so far attempts are automatically reversed by DeRemote App. It would seem to be some kind of lock. I've e-mailed the developer to ask what I'm doing wrong, as it isn't immediately apparent.

Yes, the Denon has Pure Mode, Direct, Game, etc. But selecting anything other than what it's set for just reverses itself, and for the second it's changed, I hear nothing different. In standard use, if I selected a different mode, I know for sure that there are vast differences.