Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groovebox Battery Drain

Anyone else noticing that if Groovebox is left running in the background it drains the battery. Unsure if this is Groovebox specific or relates to latest IOS update? Ipad Pro running IOS 10.3.2

Comments

• I just kill all apps using the slide off trick to make sure no ghost apps remain.

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    Anyone else noticing that if Groovebox is left running in the background it drains the battery. Unsure if this is Groovebox specific or relates to latest IOS update? Ipad Pro running IOS 10.3.2

We have to keep the synth engines running if the 'background audio' option is on just in case something triggers the app to play immediately while it's not in the foreground, as this is crucial to a lot of people's workflows, and will become more important once we have things like audiobus triggers and MIDI input. If you're not going to be using the app for an extended period of time, we would recommend turning background audio off which should reduce the battery usage drastically, or just closing the app as mentioned above.

That said we're obviously still going to work on optimisation wherever we can!

• Thanks very much for the message guys. Understood

• Ive noticed a much better battery timemon the ios beta! Just so everyone knows

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I just kill all apps using the slide off trick to make sure no ghost apps remain.

Essential for not waking up to a dead ipad

• @AmpifyxNovation said:

And, you're doing it right! You wouldn't want this for a typical iOS app, but scores of my music apps behave just this way.

• Audiobus triggers and Midi Input, oh my.....looking good. :)

• I've taken to the habit now of disabling background audio for almost all my apps. Then whenever I know I'll want background audio I load into AudioBus, which handles it automatically.

Basically - no AudioBus = no background audio. Saves a lot of digging around for settings, forgetting, and drained batteries.

• wimwim
    edited June 2017

@johnfromberkeley said:

@AmpifyxNovation said:

And, you're doing it right! You wouldn't want this for a typical iOS app, but scores of my music apps behave just this way.

+1
    IMO apps should default to no background audio, though.

• Great info! Never knew of this.

@wim said:
    I've taken to the habit now of disabling background audio for almost all my apps. Then whenever I know I'll want background audio I load into AudioBus, which handles it automatically.

Basically - no AudioBus = no background audio. Saves a lot of digging around for settings, forgetting, and drained batteries.

• Yeah this caught me out as well, couldn't figure out why my new iPad Pro 10.5 seemed to be getting noticeably worse battery life than my Air2 last week. Forgot I had Groovebox running in the back ground, doh!

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I just kill all apps using the slide off trick to make sure no ghost apps remain.

Right. I forget how you do it. Splain Lucy.

• @AudioGus said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Right. I forget how you do it. Splain Lucy.

Press and hold the lock screen button till "slide to power off" comes on screen. Then release the lock button and press and hold the home button till you get thrown to the home screen. All background apps including ghost apps have been shut off.

• edited June 2017

I´ve noticed batterydrain when you have that background recording on. When the red notification-tab is lit up. Specially when you put a lot of apps in AB3 you get drained battery. Then you cant put the ipad in standby over night because then it has emptied the battery.