Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Different Drummer price drop

On sale now for $29.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/different-drummer/id525272276?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

For all those who felt this was over priced, this might be the time to take another look at the app. I really enjoy this app, and using it as a midi creation tool is one of my favorite aspects of it. Yes, it definitely is capable of some exotic, strange syncopated rhythms, but with some time, it can also generate some more traditional sounds.

Comments

• I will echo everything @funjunkie27 just said!

• At least the price is KINDA realistic at that level...

• It might not be for everyone, but I don't have any buyer's remorse at the $50 price.

• And a nice update just received. Adds folders and a few other things, but for me, the best is in-app preset sharing. I just uploaded quite a few. I'd be Interested to see others follow suit, as well as any thoughts on what I shared. Kudos to the dev on continually improving this app!!

• The dev is responsive to every request and continually updates with requested features and etc

• It's the hangover. Give it till midday.

• Thks for the insight @Flo26.

• I just purchased diff.dr. and I have the same issues as flo26.I cannot use DD in Audiobus,
    all I get is a totally distorted sound.Hope this will be fixed soon...

• Same distorted sound here. I'm quite confident that it will be corrected shortly.

@funjunkie27, man did you ever put up some presets. Thank you for sharing these. There are several nuggets I found enjoyable.

And thanks to Peter (and team?) for the update. Several nice features included with this update.

• Tried deleting and reinstalling a couple of times.No change .Also 521 frames did not help.
    Even reinstalled Audiobus several times.Still distorted sound!Without Audiobus Diff.Dr.
    makes no sense for me!!!

• I just found that when I use DAW it gets bitcrushed but not with Garageband...experiments underway...I'll try to solve it (from my end at least). Programming in an "app ecosphere" can be a pain ;-) Shimanski...you can perhaps use the Audio Copy and paste from DD recording for now. That should be fine. Thanks!

• Also...if you use DD to drive another MIDI device that works in AB, hopefully that will record well too.

• I'm patient!Don't worry.Just hoping you can fix it.Thanks for your efforts!

• Took my chances tonight and got DD. Apart from Audiobus bug and other minor issues (such as DD crash on settings/audio reset) my first evening with DD has been both interesting and fun. This is what came out of it:
    All DD except bass, short DM1 intermezzo in the middle and -ahum- my vocal contribution ;-)

• Like that...so off,it's on.

• First one I've heard where it sounded like it was arranged by the composer, rather than DD.

• Thanks @Keebo. Glad you found some you liked.

• Nice piece @Marinus. Glad to hear you're enjoying DD.

• Thanks @commonstookie, @PaulB, @funjunkie27! Still struggling a bit: I want to stay "close to the grid", but at the same time I like subtle disturbances in the perfect rhythm. I'm spending time now learning how to design especially the rest-waves to achieve this, which feels a bit like "reverse engineering" the grid... But I just shared my first waveset, which could almost have been made with DM1 ;-)

• Nice....I'll check it out when I get off work. Thanks for sharing @Marinus....and looking for wavesets from the rest of you!

• I don't have DD, so that's going to be tricky...

• I kept on practicing in the past days, in order to create more standard rhythms with DD with just a subtle bit of the typical DD "artefacts". With grid-mode enabled on most channels and with multiple channels per instrument it is quite easy to come up with rhythms like this:
    (Please don't mind the odd harmonics and the crackling flute)

• Well done. I've never thought about purchasing DD until hearing that. Still just thinking though. I've surpassed my budget already. Lol

• Not a bad rhythmic starting point, but it still needs more variation within the piece. Where are the fills? The rhythmic punctuation? The harmonic and melodic parts are the best thing about this track, the drums need more work to be interesting.

• @mgmg4871, @PaulB: thanks for your comments!
    @PaulB: I see your point. I hope to find some time the coming week to explore if DD can stimulate and facilitate creativity in this.

• Not really your fault. It's been a weakness in DD from the start. It's improving, with grid mode and the section arranger, but the user still has to wrestle with the app to make it happen. I'm just hyper critical of it because it's DD's most glaring shortcoming.

• Here's a tune I composed using DD and Cubasis (lead part only.)

• Here's a sampling of a variety of presets I created in DD...

• Nice compendium of presets funjunkie! That's a lot of work, man. I plan on enhancing the "variation engine" in the future which will include more fills, remixes and accents and make it easier to string presets together into compositions that can be shared. The main thing DD offers users is an almost infinite search space for rhythmic concepts that they would never find with standard methods. It's a relatively new paradigm and needs more research and development to harness the potential. Cheers!

• Thanks @technemedia. Yes, DDs strength has always seemed to be the rhythmic possibilities, but each of you latest updates bring it closer to a full composition tool. Having the rhythm engine married to a full composition engine will make it extremely powerful!