Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DrumPerfect Pro now updated with midi out... how to start using it

DrumPerfect Pro v.2.12 submitted for review.

3 main new features:

• Audiobus 3 support including midi-out on channel 10.
  • Support for 64-samples audio buffer length. ( ultra low latency )
  • Export/Import of user drum kits via "longpress" Save/Load in Kit view. ( Sharing user kits now possible )
  • Midi notes list for Left hand and Right hand has been extended.

To illustrate the AB3 midi out feature, I made a short track and plan to show ( soon ) with screenshots how it was made inside Audiobus 3, with ChordPolyPad ( that had just been updated for AB3 ) and a EPiano soundfont in bs-16.
The drums are played by DPP, exported as an audio loop ( to itself ) which plays using only 1 instrument, while the other 15 are controlling ChordPolyPad chords via midi.
A bit unusual kind of setting, as typically midi out would be thought to trigger some other drum module sounds.

Here it is:

Comments

• BOOM. Can't wait :)

• edited June 2017

Hi,
    DPP now updated.

So let's have a look at what midi out ( on channel 10 ) offers.

Below are two detailed examples:

• one, where DPP controls ChordPolyPad ( CPP ) to play chords in a groovy way ( meaning using all DPP's "human feel" features like Humanizer, stroke Time shift, velocity Randomizer, Probability, etc...).
    • two, where DPP, in a more classic setting, controls Beat Hawk drum kit.

Let's start.

Example 1

Here we have AB3 midi view with our 4 actors: DPP sending midi out, CPP converting it to chords and single bass notes, MF randomizer to give a more realistic touch to the piano chords, and bs-16 to play midi through a EPiano soundfont.

Looking at detailed views now.

Audiobus 3

DPP

• Pattern and Grid views of the EPiano chords/bass groove. Notice that in this kit we mapped to CPP, 7 instruments to chords, 8 instruments to bass notes and 1 instrument playing in DPP an audio loop of the drum part ( in this case just one pattern chosen from the Brazilian Rhythms IAP pack, rendered at 100bpm and exported to DPP itself. )

• To avoid this channel midi note to trigger something else in CPP, we mapped it to the highest " A5 " ( it could be the lowest A0 as well ).

• The red choke notes placed after the green strokes at different distances control the duration of the EPiano notes ( staccato-legato )

• Some green strokes use probability to avoid a too repetitive pattern.

The drum loop is triggered with only one stroke at the beginning of the pattern.

Pads view shows how chords, single bass notes and drum loop are mapped in the kit.
    In this example only the 16 left hand instruments were used. We could extend to 32, by using the right hand instruments too.

CPP
    1st row: chords
    2nd row: bass notes

CPP settings configuration

MF Randomizer settings

bs-16

midi notes list

Recording the audio out in Audioshare. ( FX could be inserted as well ).

Example 2

DPP playing midi a simple Rock pattern from the Rock Drums 1, IAP pack.
    This time the audio come from Beat Hawk drum kit.

Loading BH drum kit

Loading DPP Rock pattern ( It could have been a full song... )

DPP Garage kit was used because it has its instruments already mapped to GMidi, hence convenient to immediately play BH. ( Other kits might need remapping for some instruments ).

A cool feature is to have both DPP drum kit AND Beat Hawk drum kit play together!
    For this you simply need to adjust the kit volume in DPP Kit view.

Vol=0: only BH kit. Vol= any other value: mix of the two kits

Listening to BH kit:

Hope you enjoy these new features.

• Nice overview. I need to save my pennies for this app.

• wimwim
    edited June 2017

Ahh. I didn't even think of using it for other than drums. Nice!

Good hint on the garage kit for GM out. That's where I was having trouble with my first efforts last night driving BeatHawk drums.

If not planning to use both the internal and external drum sounds, it makes sense to make a kit with the right mappings, but no samples. Thus no need to mute things and no added overhead of samples. I'm hoping that will work ... off to try.

Edit: yeh, that was easy. I loaded the Garage kit, then pressed clear and saved it as GM Empty. It saves about 100mb ram. Not much CPU difference.

• @Gilbert
    You can share this Kit mapped? It would work with Navichord?

• +10, cuz import/export/sharing of user kits :+1:

• edited June 2017

@Santosgera said:
    @Gilbert
    You can share this Kit mapped? It would work with Navichord?

I don't use Navichord, so I can't tell. The lite version I downloaded doesn't have midi, so it doesn't appear in AB3. But if the midi version appears in AB3 midi receiver slot, it should work. if not, you could use Midiflow adapter to connect Navichord, I guess.
    Will share midi out mapped kits in DrumPerfect website, soon.

• Yes!
    Navichord is AB3 compatible, but I could not map.
    Thanks!