Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Woah! Is that in reference to 808/909 interfacing? If so, how is that different than the dozens of other apps that similarly ape Roland products and sounds?

Never really been a fan of ReBirth on iPad. Ugly, awkward, and dated interface that is just poor to use compared to modern iOS groovebox apps. But I never used it during the heyday of acid music and its popularity on PC, so I don't have the nostalgia for it like many do.

• After 22 years it has earned a peaceful retirement I guess. Although I still fire it up every now and then just for a fun jam. It was one of the first (if not the first) self-contained acid/techno studio applications.

• To be honest I've never got on with the iOS version, much prefer using apps by devs such as Brambos to get this type of sound.

• Wasn't there also an iphone version of rebirth?

• @mannix said:
    Wasn't there also an iphone version of rebirth?

there was initially, amazing considering the one-page GUI

• I really do hope Roland 'compensates' and brings us something.
    The Boutiques are already becoming rare the 'plug-outs' are already available as AUv3/VSTs.

The DSP coding is already done (The Boutiques use standard ARM CPUs) so there's absolutely nothing stopping them from bringing us iOS AUv3's even if it's like $49.99 per 'app'...

• I will miss Rebirth. I've had it around in one form or another since v1.0 was released for PC

• Wonder if will be available for re-download hereafter?

• @DeVlaeminck said:
    Wonder if will be available for re-download hereafter?

It looks like they're encouraging people to buy it before it's gone, so it should remain in your Downloads list. Keyword being "should".

• The Boutiques are using special Roland DSP, same as in System-1. Sorry. Still they may have native versions ready. But they will be very CPU hungry. It's sophisticated circuit modelling, not standard virtual analog.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@mannix said:
    Wasn't there also an iphone version of rebirth?

there was initially, amazing considering the one-page GUI

Well remembered.
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/05/22/propellerhead-retiring-rebirth-for-iphone/

• All @brambos, has to make(a kind request, Hint, Hint)...... Ahem!........... Is to emulate the TR 808 & TR909. That way, with TroubleMaker, we would a "Rebirth" replacement of sorts. I'm still loving up TroubleMaker even now. ;)

• @Max_Free said:
    The Boutiques are using special Roland DSP, same as in System-1. Sorry. Still they may have native versions ready. But they will be very CPU hungry. It's sophisticated circuit modelling, not standard virtual analog.

Indeed, I recall they're using a custom FPGA in the Boutiques, and also in the Aira series. The same one that's also powering the Boss effect modelling products IIRC.

• I love the opposing split screen mode. Nothing like waiting for a train with a friend and collaboratively jamming. Ableton link I guess can do something similar but that arcade style is something fun and special.

• Fascinating! Yet another chapter in the hardware/software story. Maybe Roland will eventually release an app version which satisfies the needs covered by ReBirth. Doesn’t have to be a full emulation of the hardware, right? If @brambos can make a product which brings the TR-x0x glory to iOS while also making cool bass sounds, Roland can probably do something.

• It took Roland 22 years to decide/determine that Rebirth infringed on their intellectual property rights? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBirth_RB-338

• @Dham said:
    It took Roland 22 years to decide/determine that Rebirth infringed on their intellectual property rights? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBirth_RB-338

I have not been following this but maybe they had a licensing agreement for software of some sort that just did not extend to mobile or some such thing.

• edited June 2017

@AudioGus said:

@Dham said:
    It took Roland 22 years to decide/determine that Rebirth infringed on their intellectual property rights? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBirth_RB-338

I have not been following this but maybe they had a licensing agreement for software of some sort that just did not extend to mobile or some such thing.

from wiki link
    "As of September 2005, support for ReBirth was been discontinued by Propellerhead software, and the software became available online[13] as a free download[14] until 2016,[15] however, Propellerhead's torrent continues to be working."

Note that ReBirth_RB-338 doesn't work under windows 10, and in 2005 Apple shifted to Intel based processors

• Absolutely love ReBirth for iOS and always have.

Deceptively capable and one of the few apps where making something less than satisfying is actually difficult.

• Oh what a shame, great app..and in remembrance here is my EPIC Guide to Rebirth from back in Dec 2014..everything you need to know about Rebirth

• edited June 2017

I wrote both companies stern-but-civil PMs on Facebook. To Propellerhead, I basically told them to honour their customers first, not some "long-standing relationship" with another company. To Roland, I asked them why it took them over 20 years to file a claim, and I suggested they work out a deal that benefits both companies instead of having their lawyers drum up some arbitrary letter/email and screwing us customers over in the end.

I mean this is utter nonsense! We paid good money for ReBirth iOS. I used to use it for 303 sounds before Troublemaker. Even still, I used it for 808 and 909 sounds and nostalgia reasons when I felt like producing simple Acid on a slow day. It was just updated four months ago. There is no reason these two companies can't work out a deal that benefits both of them and benefits us as well.

@thesoundtestroom Well, if Roland and Propellerhead can't figure out some sort of mutually beneficial deal, at least we'll have your video for nostalgic purposes. It's still a good one mate. Hope you're doing well. :smile:

• edited June 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I wrote both companies stern-but-civil PMs on Facebook. To Propellerhead, I basically told them to honour their customers first, not some "long-standing relationship" with another company. To Roland, I asked them why it took them over 20 years to file a claim, and I suggested they work out a deal that benefits both companies instead of having their lawyers drum up some arbitrary letter/email and screwing us customers over in the end.

I mean this is utter nonsense! We paid good money for ReBirth iOS. I used to use it for 303 sounds before Troublemaker. Even still, I used it for 808 and 909 sounds and nostalgia reasons when I felt like producing simple Acid on a slow day. It was just updated four months ago. There is no reason these two companies can't work out a deal that benefits both of them and benefits us as well.
    :

There's no indication that Re-Birth will be removed from your download list, only removed from sale. April 2017 will likely be the last update, but they're not really doing anyone wrong -- this is a well-known risk of buying DRM-protected software.

• Simple..install it on an older device and keep it on there...forever ..without updating iOS

• @Love3quency said:
    Simple..install it on an older device and keep it on there...forever ..without updating iOS

Or. you know. you can download it on your laptop/desktop and backup the ".ipa". Since its already 64bit you can install it as many times as you want till Apple abandons 64bit. I've reinstalled so many "deleted" apps this way. Like Diode. such an amazing drum machine that's 64 bit that is sadly gone for most people. I've made enough backups to not lose it though :D

• @Love3quency said:
    Simple..install it on an older device and keep it on there...forever ..without updating iOS

Jajaja. And this wasn't apple fault for a change!

Also might be easier to keep the .ipa file.

• @gonekrazy3000 , I've never backed up apps before, but I think this would be a good one to start with. Can you explain the procedure ? If the app is backed up, then I should be able to install on any device associated with my Apple account, in the future?

• Keeping the .ipa file sounds like the best plan then. Thanks for this workaround. :)

• edited June 2017

@gsm909 said:
    @gonekrazy3000 , I've never backed up apps before, but I think this would be a good one to start with. Can you explain the procedure ? If the app is backed up, then I should be able to install on any device associated with my Apple account, in the future?

When you download the app on the pc/mac iTunes it actually makes a full backup for the app. You can right click on the app and click "show in explorer" (on windows. Mac should have a similar option). It should take you to the actual .ipa file. Back this up wherever. I keep local and Dropbox copies of these. To install the app again long after it's gone from the App Store is as simple as double clicking it so it gets added to the local iTunes library. You can then make itunes install it to the iOS device. Keep in mind the IPA is forever linked to the iTunes account associated with it so you can't share it with others. But yes, you can install it to newer iOS devices as well.