Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• I demand Ableton Max Lite :D

• It makes sense...

• Interesting. Had Pluggo back in the day, but never sprung for Max. Maybe they'll give us Standard users a taste now.

• This is intriguing news.

• edited June 2017

Ableton had a hole in their coders when the Bitwig people left them... the main point of the discussion seemed maxforlive so it makes close the full circle in my eyes.

• Good news, I love Max for Live devices. Can only mean better things ahead for it.

• Haven't messed with Max but I really like PureData. I think they are similar (although PD is more limited) but great for 'code designing'

• The discussion around life-after-laptops is definitely encouraging to hear. Also the mention of embedded computing is, er, music to my ears. Think the MPC Live's is a part of a trend we're going to see a lot more of.

• aghhh please have max for live be free for all

• edited June 2017

@syrupcore said:
    The discussion around life-after-laptops is definitely encouraging to hear. Also the mention of embedded computing is, er, music to my ears. Think the MPC Live's is a part of a trend we're going to see a lot more of.

https://clave45.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/i-want-to-believe-ufo-x-files-poster-daily-quotes-sayings-pictures-810x10891.jpg

• Now they need to acquire Applied Acoustic Systems.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Was reading the interview and, reading between the lines, the connections with this forum’s core interests started to emerge.

@syrupcore said:
    The discussion around life-after-laptops is definitely encouraging to hear. Also the mention of embedded computing is, er, music to my ears. Think the MPC Live's is a part of a trend we're going to see a lot more of.

Which is the part making this thread potentially less OT. May be reading too much into this but there’s an insistence, in the interview, on the limitations of laptop-based music. There must be something about standalone devices in there (yes, à la MPC Live.) Part of it is about embedded systems. Some of it has to do with “any device with a browser”. But one could easily think of products built by the new expanded Ableton team which would target iOS devices.
    After all, Max and Korg Gadget are both built in JUCE, at this point.

@Max23 said:
    Im Not excited.
    Come back if ableton does something for iPad. :p

It could happen. Ok, not an iPad version of Ableton Live Suite. But some kind of iOS product to complement their lineup.
    One neat aspect of this could be to have first-party support for iOS-based “virtual control surfaces”. But it could also work in reverse, with some kind of integration with iOS apps as plugins, à la Studiomux. At the very least, they can release something like Logic Remote or Pro Tools | Control. They won’t cannibalize their Ableton Live Suite sales, but they could make Ableton Live’s entrenched position easier to protect by building out the ecosystem through iOS devices.

Who knows, they might even start designing self-sufficient iOS apps and create significant change in terms of mobile musicking. Not holding my breath on this, but stranger things have happened.

• edited June 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Out of all the DAWs out there, I found Ableton to my main goer(then FL Studio) I have used all others. It's quick & simple to get your ideas. I suppose it's all down to the each & everyone personal way, etc. Also, maybe I didn't give enough time to really study other properly, as I' ve always used Loop based music, right from the Amiga days in the 90's, & the Rolland MC 505/Yamaha RS7000, etc.

• edited June 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2017

At this point I don't see the need for Ableton on iPad, sorry. An embedded max device with some of their best libraries such Vizzie/V-Module, Beap... could be interesting but if not, raspberry pies support libpd/pd in their own. I supose they were talking about THAT fact since they are experts in borrow ideas from others and claim as them (lol).
    About remote control there is MIRA which is an overpriced gimmick in comparision or Touchable (et Al.) which are third party since Ableton was too busy to improve their GUI for touch enabled surfaces... (like Traktor my bad)

I see the actual iOS apps as small featured Abletons which focus applications instead all the whole monster that Ableton has become (GRL, BlocsWave, Launchpad, Modstep, ReSlice, AUM...) so instead to need all at the same time I prefer to use just what I need at each moment and avoid the rest since I'm not going to warp in live situation or do a patch realtime. It's cool to have the choices but Live grow in the paradigm of being stable and v8 was a breakpoint due maxforlive implementation (making part of the crew burn out and create Bitwig from the ashes of themselves) which need a "freeze development moment version" to catch the bugs (and recover stability).

Also from the grid vs turntable POV Traktor have done their homework better (the Bridge and Ms. Pinky vs Remix Decks and Stems) catching the true future of djing even before the djs themselves (pointing to the live producing purpossed by Ableton and giving them vinyl control in the right way) for cheaper budget and then the lines have blurred...

Push vs Maschine, ToRaiz vs Maschine/Remix Decks, Launchpad pro vs Push, Komplete Keyboards (and suite) vs Ableton suite, Serato Flip vs Remix decks, Serato Dj808 vs T secuencers everywhere and BOUM!

Meanwhile in iOS we have lots of these goodies for a fraction on desktop with embed technology more portable, cheaper and usually fast upgrade than desktop (Apple and its love to iPhone over anything else, you know...) and two days ago iOS 11 as iOS for iPad finally...

Yes they should talk about future since the days of laptop djing as the right (and only possible) tool have gone and they aren't going to back with or without Ms Surface paradigm. The future for Live music is ARM and IoT and iOS 11 is the first step of iOSX, finally (the obssession to left 32 bits is one of the clues for these future merging IMHO)

High Sierra and x86 platform will be alive of course but the "truck" is for carry big data meanwhile small devices carry people to the places for enjoy life (music, take videos and pics, etc...) that's the true Post-pc era: Do the same things I needed a pc 20 years ago just sitting in the WC like forum posting :grimace:
    I do it back in the day with my first white macbook too but it usually fried my knees :sweat_smile:

• Revisiting myself... iOS11 was the wrecking ball for me. Apple deception at its finest...

More than ever I believe embed is the future. The point made by @Enkerli about Juce (and now Soul) and the chat the other day at CDM makes me see this possibility, even, it's too late for my old soul... :lol:

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    More than ever I believe embed is the future.

Hear, hear!

It might take a while. But, as you say, SOUL should be part of that equation. As @analog_matt knows, the ways AudioKit can help on the iOS side really intrigues me. With AUv3 and MPE support, there can be a very solid codebase for iOS softsynths. From there, we could get an interesting integration with embedded devices, including DIY ones. Haven’t played that much with my Axoloti Core or my Bela boards. Did use my Raspberry Pi boards with Blokas Pisound HATs on quite a few occasions, including for demos in museums. My dream is to have the same code run on all sorts of platforms. Puredata can help a lot (especially with libPd on iOS).

It’s also interesting that inMusic Brands has been releasing Linux-based devices with its Akai Pro brand. The MPC Live and now the Akai Force run softsynths from their AIR Music Tech brand (which used to be plugins for Pro Tools). It’s unlikely that we’ll get these Linux plugins outside of those hardware devices, but it’s interesting to think that AIR developers have been porting some of their code to Linux.

From the desktop Linux side, it’s also interesting to think about the a couple of commercial DAWs which could leverage their code to embedded devices. In this case, Tracktion (where JUCE started) has an advantage over Bitwig since their Waveform DAW does run on Raspberry Pi and they’ve already made a reference hardware device. Still, with the BWS3 announcement focused on a Native Modular System (for softsynths and FX), Bitwig got me to dream about a way to build Linux-based devices, including on Single-Board Computers and other smaller devices. Maybe Bitwig Studio will never run on a Raspberry Pi. But maybe we could build BWS devices which could run on Raspberry Pi. In my mind, it’s almost like software encapsulation brought to hardware. In software, nested devices are often described as “black boxes”. You build a patcher in Pure Data, Reaktor, or Max, and you stop worrying about what’s inside, you just know what you can get in and out of that box. Same thing can apply to a hardware device and, in fact, you could easily have code do exactly the same thing. This is where the SOUL announcement makes the most sense, to me. You prototype in Puredata, VCV’s Rack, Max, Reaktor, and maybe even BWS3, and you can have the code run natively on a Raspberry Pi, Bela, Axoloti, Arduino, Akai…

• Yes, we need something like that ASAP. These will need to improve a lot until substitute commercial versions (from stability point I imagine) but I can see a future were projects like Otem Rellik are more common.