Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad screen sizes

I was wondering the difference in size between the 9.7", the new 10.5" and the large 12.9" iPad Pro's so I made this mockup based on the reported screen-resolutions:

The big 12.9" still provides A LOT more screen space, but the 10.5 is a nice boost if you prefer the smaller form factor like me.

Comments

• Since I like to travel around with iPad the 10.5 works out better. 12.9 would work better as a fixture in studio

• @realdavidai said:
    Since I like to travel around with iPad the 10.5 works out better. 12.9 would work better as a fixture in studio

My thoughts exactly :smile:

I like the portability of my iPad Air 2, so it's nice to be able to get more screenspace without sacrificing that.

• I wonder how many apps will actually use the extra screen space of 10.5
    I would assume each app needs to be optimized for the new screen? That would mean most apps will look the same on a 10.5 at least until they are updated.

• Aparently they eat into the bezel and keep the sizes super super close, which I guess makes sense why they phased out the 9.7

From some site...

10.5 is 250.6 x 174.1mm
    9.7 is 240 x 169.5mm

The iPad Pro 10.5 is slimmer at 6.1mm compared to 7.5mm though.

• edited June 2017

@nick said:
    I wonder how many apps will actually use the extra screen space of 10.5
    I would assume each app needs to be optimized for the new screen? That would mean most apps will look the same on a 10.5 at least until they are updated.

As you say, most apps will look exactly the same, only slightly larger. You can get a preview of how apps will look on the 10.5 screen by moving your iPad about an inch closer to your face. ;)

• Good info thanks!

I was hoping the 10.5 would squeeze in the amount of pixels from 12.9. Same screen real estate in a smaller space. oh well. The small increase is great, especially with all the other improvements.

• @Beathoven said:

@nick said:

As you say, most apps will look exactly the same, only slightly larger. You can get a preview of how apps will look on the 10.5 screen by moving your iPad about an inch closer to your face. ;)

That's fine for me. I wouldn't mine a slight increase in the size of touch instruments and MIDI keyboard in GB. they were pretty close to ideal in 9.7, 10.5 should complete the deal

• @Beathoven said:

@nick said:

Do you know this from some source or are you just speculating like I am? Cause I'm doubting the 10.5 would display apps larger to fill the screen.
    If you look at iPhone apps on an iPad, they are not screen filling but 2x the size of the iPhone app. To display something twice the size is an easy calculation whereas 20% larger requires interpolation calculations to look good. This would be quite processor intensive just for the upscaling.
    So I think it would be more likely that unoptimized are shown exactly the same size as normal iPad with a black border around them.

but of course this is all just speculation

• @nick said:

@Beathoven said:

@nick said:

Do you know this from some source or are you just speculating like I am? Cause I'm doubting the 10.5 would display apps larger to fill the screen.
    If you look at iPhone apps on an iPad, they are not screen filling but 2x the size of the iPhone app. To display something twice the size is an easy calculation whereas 20% larger requires interpolation calculations to look good. This would be quite processor intensive just for the upscaling.
    So I think it would be more likely that unoptimized are shown exactly the same size as normal iPad with a black border around them.

But, this is exactly what the current 12.9 does. Unless an app, such as Animoog, has been updated to specifically take advantage of the larger screen, it will just fill the screen with a larger version of what you see on the 9.7 iPad. iPhone apps don't fill the screen when run on an iPad because the aspect ratio is different.

• @Beathoven said:

@nick said:

@Beathoven said:

@nick said:

But, this is exactly what the current 12.9 does. Unless an app, such as Animoog, has been updated to specifically take advantage of the larger screen, it will just fill the screen with a larger version of what you see on the 9.7 iPad. iPhone apps don't fill the screen when run on an iPad because the aspect ratio is different.

mh, but the 12.9 Pro, isn't that exactly 2x the resolution of the 9.7 ? So it is easy to upscale.

• @nick said:

@Beathoven said:

@nick said:

@Beathoven said:

@nick said:

mh, but the 12.9 Pro, isn't that exactly 2x the resolution of the 9.7 ? So it is easy to upscale.

This is why Apple have kept the aspect ratios of the iPad Mini through 9.7, 10.5 and up to 12.9 the same. An app will look exactly the same on an iPad Mini as it does on a 9.7 or 12.9 or 10.5 inch screen. The only issue I found when using my 12.9 iPad Pro (which I've since got rid of for mobility reasons) is that some apps will appear slightly out of focus and need to be optimised not to appear so.

• Would be great if Apple let me use different scales (like i can do on macOS) to make everything smaller or bigger without having to zoom.
    It´s a long long way to the post PC.....just saying.....but still hover my finger to order an iPad Pro for testing.
    I just don´t know if i will like it at all yet.

• edited June 2017

@nick said:

Nope, 12.9 is 2,732 x 2048. 9.7 is 2048 x 1536. It is a 1/3 increase scale up. Or 1.33333x

I think Apple just has some magic programming going on for scaling and rendering. For example: when I use picture in picture, I can scale up/down and drag the video around the screen and the playback stays buttery smooth. It's uncanny. (I'm on 2015 iPP 12.9)

I imagine app scale-up is really not a big resource issue for the new devices.

Either way, the apps that are truly optimized for 12.9 look awesome. Auria is my favorite. Mmmmm. ProQ2 spectrum viewing is beautiful.

• ah, interesting. So maybe they do plan to scale things up by 20% then. make it a bit larger and a bit blurry.
    I'd like to see what both iPP do to display non-optimized apps before I buy one. but I doubt they'll let you see that in the Apple stores ...

• edited June 2017

@nick said:
    ah, interesting. So maybe they do plan to scale things up by 20% then. make it a bit larger and a bit blurry.
    I'd like to see what both iPP do to display non-optimized apps before I buy one. but I doubt they'll let you see that in the Apple stores ...

Maybe? Why would Apple go to the trouble of maintaining the aspect ratio only to have an ugly black border around the app?

In the Apple Store I'm sure you'll be able to see apps in operation on the 10.5 iPad, just as you can on all the other iPads on display. At the very least you'll be able to see screenshots of the all the apps on the App Store.

• well in the app store here the big Pro seems to only have Pro optimized apps on it, but maybe it will be different for the 10.5