Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatwave - abandoned?

I bought Beatwave a while ago, which I found was a good app to write songs on my way to work, but have found when recording the output at the end, there are some glitches in the final recording, as you can hear in this song (link to Dwarf Morpheus on YouTube) at around the 2.42 to 2.52 mark - I contacted the developers at Collect3, but got no response, and found there was little information about the app anywhere on the net, apart from this forum. Is it abandoned?

I'm pretty new to this 'writing music on my phone' thing, so I was curious if anyone else was experiencing these glitches, or if it's something I'm doing??

Lastly, I guess, if it is abandoned, and it's going to keep producing glitches, are there any comparable apps, or what do (have) people moved to in the app space??

Thanks

RIchard

Comments

• If you like Beatwave, I would recommend Auxy. It's free to try after all (you only pay for additional sounds) and you can use up to 16 instruments in a track as opposed to Beatwaves four. Very user friendly.

• Medly is another similar to BW and Auxy...it's free with IAPs.
    Medly - Music Maker by Medly Labs Inc.
    https://appsto.re/us/CP1c4.i

• The problem with those other Apps comparing to beatwave is, they don't have the "morphing"-feature of Beatwave. No idea if it's abandoned, though, and I never was able to find any information on it. IMO Beatwave is unreached up to now, sadly so...

• Thanks for the feedback - I've downloaded both Auxy and Medley and will have a look into them. I really enjoy Beatwave (as a relative newbie to the 'making music on iPhone' scene), but am a bit disappointed with the glitches (which seem to occur randomly, as far as I can tell - at first I thought it was overall volume, but some occur in 'fade out' sections of my songs, and it doesn't seem to be an overuse of notes, either).

There was also another app mentioned on here called "BeatHawk", so may try that one as well ...

Cheers

Richard

• For anyone interested I found the Beatwave press kit on Dropbox ...

• edited June 2017

I like the synth sounds in Auxy and being able to see the other parts simultaneously in Medly. I've never really been excited by medleys sounds.

Beatwave kind of straddles the two soundwise, but it's morpher and drum beat maker really set it apart. I even purchased a few sound packs.

Just using the sounds as they are gives good sound files in AB3 or AUM , since you can mute each part. Running some of the results through MIDImorphosis for some sound swapping and editing is fun too.

Medly has the advantage of midi export straight from the app.

• I like BW as well, but am missing a MIDI option :-(((((

• @animal said:
    The problem with those other Apps comparing to beatwave is, they don't have the "morphing"-feature of Beatwave. No idea if it's abandoned, though, and I never was able to find any information on it. IMO Beatwave is unreached up to now, sadly so...

what is the morphing feature? Sounds interesting!

• @Alex fox said:

@animal said:
    The problem with those other Apps comparing to beatwave is, they don't have the "morphing"-feature of Beatwave. No idea if it's abandoned, though, and I never was able to find any information on it. IMO Beatwave is unreached up to now, sadly so...

what is the morphing feature? Sounds interesting!

It can randomize the patterns

• Yeah, but it's not just randomizing. You can define the amount and the strength of the "movements" pretty nicely. A feature only topped by Noatikl and Wotja, ideal for my project of "instant song creation". Hopefully there will be a future for Beatwave-.

• You could also chop up longer notes into shorter ones by holding and swiping. So you could have a sustained block chord, hold your finger down and swipe all over to chop it up into bits and pieces for random patterns. Haven't seen other piano rolls that do that. But it needs more tracks if it is to compete. Everything else about it is pretty great

• There is a lot to like about Beatwave - it's so simple (and enjoyable/fun) that my 7yo son can make music with it, yet so complex that you can write decent tunes on it ...

@db909 said:
    But it needs more tracks if it is to compete.

I beg to differ; the limitations make me think about how to best use the sounds I have - when faced with infinite possibilities, I struggle to focus on making a decision, and wander off into trying to get the "perfect" sound, then try and update the other sounds to match, then get stuck in an endless loop of deciding what sounds "best", when, really, the sounds are great to start with ...

@animal said:
    ideal for my project of "instant song creation"

Yes, and the program is great for my "writing music on a train, on the way to work" scenario - I can write a decent song in about 2 hours, roughly over 3 days ....

@tja said:
    I like BW as well, but am missing a MIDI option :-(((((

I'd also like to see this, but moreso would like to see exporting as stem files - that would be a great export feature so I can 'tweak' on the Mac in Logic ...

@audiblevideo said:
    Just using the sounds as they are gives good sound files in AB3 or AUM , since you can mute each part. Running some of the results through MIDImorphosis for some sound swapping and editing is fun too.

Excuse my ignorance - what are AB3 and AUM??

Cheers

Richard

• @neophytte Audiobus3 (shorthand for the forum and app you are on) and AUM (AUdio Mixer - a cohabitant of the same relative space for connecting iOS apps together)

AUM - Audio Mixer by Kymatica (Jonatan Liljedahl)
    https://appsto.re/us/4T76-.i

• @audiblevideo said:
    @neophytte Audiobus3 (shorthand for the forum and app you are on) and AUM (AUdio Mixer - a cohabitant of the same relative space for connecting iOS apps together)

Wow ... now I feel like I've been Rumpelstiltskin recording on a dusty cassette player ...

• edited June 2017

@neophytte said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @neophytte Audiobus3 (shorthand for the forum and app you are on) and AUM (AUdio Mixer - a cohabitant of the same relative space for connecting iOS apps together)

Wow ... now I feel like I've been Rumpelstiltskin recording on a dusty cassette player ...

You're in for some fun...

By the way, as abandoned as Beatwave might be, it is quite a treat (your post got me to reinstall it). The end of updates, for something that's working, is moot in a sense: if it ain't broke why update it...And it's still viable, it is 64bit and won't be nullified by the next iOS iteration.

• @Littlewoodg said:

It would seem so - the only issue is my time management (for what little time I have to explore these things!!)

@Littlewoodg said:
    for something that's working, is moot in a sense: if it ain't broke why update it...

My copy is making 'glitches' in my output (please see the original post, and example) - do you know of any way to fix this??

For the record, it's also happening on my son's recordings (done on my wife's iPad), so two different devices ...

Cheers

Richard

• @neophytte said:

@Littlewoodg said:

It would seem so - the only issue is my time management (for what little time I have to explore these things!!)

@Littlewoodg said:
    for something that's working, is moot in a sense: if it ain't broke why update it...

My copy is making 'glitches' in my output (please see the original post, and example) - do you know of any way to fix this??

For the record, it's also happening on my son's recordings (done on my wife's iPad), so two different devices ...

Cheers

Richard

What devices?

• @Littlewoodg said:
    What devices?

Mine is an iPhone 5s and the iPad is a 2015 full size model (sorry, don't know the identifier off the top of my head)

Cheers

Richard

• edited June 2017

@neophytte said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    What devices?

Mine is an iPhone 5s and the iPad is a 2015 full size model (sorry, don't know the identifier off the top of my head)

Cheers

Richard

You may have more luck with newer devices, I'm not getting the crackles on Air 2, or iPhone 6. To help with the processing, make sure everything is off in the background, internet, other apps etc...

Sorry I missed the full content of your original post (the crackles can be maddening). It's usually an overtaxed processor (tracks with fx especially reverb, greedy synths etc as you probably know) and another recourse can be airplane mode.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    make sure everything is off in the background, internet, other apps etc...

Cheers, I'll try that!!

Sorry I missed the full content of your original post (the crackles can be maddening). It's usually an overtaxed processor (tracks with fx especially reverb, greedy synths etc as you probably know) and another recourse can be airplane mode.

That's no drama - thanks so much for the tip!! I'll give it a try ....

Ironically, one of the tunes I recorded last night (which had a heap of reverb on it) had no crackles ... weird!!

I made a SoundCloud account and put it here ....

Cheers

Richard

• For anyone following, the "airplane mode" seems to have fixed it; I'll experiment more when kids are in bed ...

Cheers

Richard

• has anyone heard from or talked to the developer?

• @kobamoto said:
    has anyone heard from or talked to the developer?

I just emailed them, and I'll post here if I get a reply. The support website gives me the dreaded 404 message.

• @kobamoto said:
    has anyone heard from or talked to the developer?

I sent them a couple of emails and heard nothing back, which was what lead me to this forum (as it seemed to have a couple of references to Beatwave being discussed).

As mentioned, the website gives a 404, and the parent site (Collect3) points you back at that same site.

I did notice there is also a phone number supplied in the Press kit, and a non-support email, but I haven't tried those yet.

@TozBourne said:
    I just emailed them, and I'll post here if I get a reply. The support website gives me the dreaded 404 message.

Looking forward to see if a reply is received ...

Cheers

Richard

• Hooked Beatwave up to SoundCloud, and another suggestion for fixes would be to reference the app correctly - at the moment it appears as 'beatwavetest', which might be better expressed as "Beatwave iOS App", or something ... if you get in touch with him.

Cheers

Richard

• leave no app behind

• @kobamoto said:
    leave no app behind

• edited June 2017

Another useful feature would be the ability to 'preview' a sound when you're making a new drum (or synth) kit. At the moment I select from a list of a couple of hundred with similar names, and it's painful importing, reviewing, then (potentially) deleting and re-importing [rinse and repeat] until I get the right sound I'm after.

If the developer responds ...

Cheers

Richard

• edited June 2017

Pretty sure this app is dead. As far as I know the dev has moved on to other ventures. I pinged him last year with requests but he didn't seem to want to engage on any updates since he was focused on other apps and businesses.

His new product is ZOVA:
    https://blog.framer.com/beyond-the-apple-design-awards-how-zova-is-using-framer-to-go-2-0-76936e6e7143

• that's too bad