Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

We need a simple multi instance seq for AB3

Thought one of the fine developers would have created one already. Polyrhythms would be a great addition with note length.

Then add midi learn to all the midi flow devices and then we're talking.

Comments

• Modstep beta is not working for me. Anyone have it working with AB3

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We'll have to wait for Apple to add Midi Out to the AU standard. Normal apps can't do multi-instance and AUs can't do Midi Out... so... B)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    @bambros
    Hm, I don't think AUs do that on the mac, or do they now?
    If no, we can forget it.

There is an obscure AU variant in the documentation with the identifier 'AUMI'. On MacOS it's barely supported and in iOS it's nonexistent. That would be our hope, but of course it'll take years before all hosts start adopting it, should Apple enable it officially.

• @brambos said:
    We'll have to wait for Apple to add Midi Out to the AU standard. Normal apps can't do multi-instance and AUs can't do Midi Out... so... B)

So how do the midi flow apps work? Is it a bespoke audiobus format.

• @Dchild said:

@brambos said:
    We'll have to wait for Apple to add Midi Out to the AU standard. Normal apps can't do multi-instance and AUs can't do Midi Out... so... B)

So how do the midi flow apps work? Is it a bespoke audiobus format.

Good question. There is nothing about multi-instancing in the AB3 docs, so it's either a customized undocumented Audiobus extension to the AU standard or creative use of AB3 MIDI channels to make it feel like multiple instances.

Perhaps @Sebastian knows?

• @Dchild said:
    Thought one of the fine developers would have created one already. Polyrhythms would be a great addition with note length.

What kind of sequencer are you thinking about? How would it be different from existing sequencer apps that had 1) multiple tracks or sequences and 2) presented each of those as a discreet AB3 MIDI channel (like, say, Fugue Machine does per playhead).

• @5pinlink said:
    So AU is not like VST then, you cant add your own extensions ?

I'm sure that technically you can find ways to do that. And Apple can break them whenever they feel like it ;)

• edited June 2017

VST2 has midi out while macOS AU's don't.
    But Apple could make midi FX AU's possible (like in Logic Pro). Great is that you even can use midi FX to modulate every automation parameter now via a simple learn. Would i love that for iOS? Yes!
    Otherwise i would prefer if each iOS DAW has it's own sequencer/arp per track. At best several midi FX per track.

• @syrupcore said:

@Dchild said:

What kind of sequencer are you thinking about? How would it be different from existing sequencer apps that had 1) multiple tracks or sequences and 2) presented each of those as a discreet AB3 MIDI channel (like, say, Fugue Machine does per playhead).

Bare bones, just a one line no thrills sequencer. Each step can be controlled with midi on / off.

• This is one type of app that I think will need to be IAA and have multiple play-roll tracks and midi outs (ie Xewton's Music Studio). I don't think STEP has multiple tracks, so I think Music Studio is currently the only one that actually does this yet. Until AU gains Midi Out ability, I think this is the only way to get this done.