Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2 NEW APPS a year ago you didn't have?

What 2 apps are you now using regularly or all the time that last year weren't even out?

What 2 apps are you STILL using that you were using last year?

For me, new apps would have to be ReSlice, Looperverse, and Thor. (caveat: THOR finally fixed MIDI this year so finally a mainstay of workflow). ReSlice to me is the best app in years. I do entire songs with it only.

2(+1) apps I am still using Animoog(surprise surprise), Genome, and iMPC pro.

Comments

• Another vote for Reslice. It's the perfect mix of simplicity and power under the hood. I use it daily. I also really dig KRFT; it inspires me to play and compose at the same time. I'll also throw in a plug for troublemaker!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Another vote for Reslice. It's the perfect mix of simplicity and power under the hood. I use it daily. I also really dig KRFT; it inspires me to play and compose at the same time. I'll also throw in a plug for troublemaker!

ReSlice has made Gadget not really relevant for me these days.

I guess I really only used it for AbuDhabi.

Egoist and Reslice together is Glitchin' Bad Azz

• New apps out this year now regulars for me ? None.....as yet......Bought but not yet used Looperverse (planning on a session with this, a guitar and circuit tonight...hope to get some things down before the effects of the Friday beer kick in :)) Future Drummer looks interesting too, still not sure if the £20 is worth it for the ability to MIDI out the Jamming from it, the appoholic says YES....the considered do I really need it says 'Only if it means I wont need any of the other drum apps (DPP, Funk Drummer, Patterning) I have as I will need the space to install FD'

Older apps that I use all the time ? blocs wave, gadget if I'm only allowed 2. (Others would be AUM, AS, Launchpad, Cubasis)

• edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AUM (still less than a year old? I think so)
    Ruismaker (again I think? Hard to keep track..)

• KRFT
    AB3

2 apps i continue to are Cubasis which is probably my most used and Nave. There are lots more but you said only 2

• Afro Latin Drum Machine by Luis Martinez and Blocs Wave. Haven't done anything remotely meaningful with Blocs Wave. :neutral:

• This year: GeoShred and Troublemaker
    That I'll never let go of: Xynthesizr and Thumbjam.

I get plenty of stuff done with soft drummer and Poison-202 though

• All of them, just started ;) if i had to choose a few itd be Fieldscaper, Reslice, Quantiloop, GTL, Turnado and Crystalline

• I'm not sure what it means but most of what I use I've had for many years. Rotor is one exception to that. Not that I don't buy apps all the time

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    All of them, just started ;) if i had to choose a few itd be Fieldscaper, Reslice, Quantiloop, GTL, Turnado and Crystalline

Same boat. The first thing I bought was Moebius Lab and now I have most of the Amazing Noises apps along with Fugue Machine, Reslice, Thor, Mitosynth and many others.

I really need to stop - running out of room on my ipad.

• Model 15 for me, but it was out last year, but not for me, as I had an iPad 2 and I wouldn't have been able to load it onto that, so the availability is fairly recent for me.

• I've come to know and love the new Auxy though it was not really my thing in the beginning

• @RustiK said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Another vote for Reslice. It's the perfect mix of simplicity and power under the hood. I use it daily. I also really dig KRFT; it inspires me to play and compose at the same time. I'll also throw in a plug for troublemaker!

ReSlice has made Gadget not really relevant for me these days.

I guess I really only used it for AbuDhabi.

Egoist and Reslice together is Glitchin' Bad Azz

KRFT midi to Egoist was a spiritual experience last night.

• edited April 2017

If we're talking just 2017, Mood. I've been using the beta daily since release. Safe to say it'll stick to my home screen.

Nothing else from this year gets used consistently enough, but I do like Troublemaker and Self-a-Fuzz. The latter really surprised me.

Still truckin' with Animoog and Patterning. Also on the home screen with a select couple of others.

• Geoshred. I've been practicing it like an instrument.
    With a layer of MPE'd Animoog, it's like nothing else.
    Also KRFT, can't wait for MIDI out on that one. So much fun.

• How about apps that you bought over a year ago, tried for a few minutes, and have been meaning to get back to, buuuut....?

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    How about apps that you bought over a year ago, tried for a few minutes, and have been meaning to get back to, buuuut....?

Very recognizable, lol.
    Yesterday, after 2 years, drove deeper into MitoSynth and realized that I should have done this much earlier.

• Recently released apps I started using regularly: Sensual Sax, FuxEQ, Troublemaker, Reslice (although not as often), Jussi, Ruismaker, RuismakerFM, Phasemaker, Haaze stereo tool, AUM (technically released in February 2016, I first purchased it in October), Blamsoft and DDMF products. (Technically, I've used DDMF's products for years on my PC, so his AUv3s were a no-brainer.) Seriously, I couldn't pick just two. ;) Oh wait, did I mention Poison 202 yet? I also use Amazing Noises limiter, and even though that's been around for a while, it was recently updated to AUv3, so I guess I'll cheat a little and include it on this particular list.

Apps I STILL use which I purchased years ago: Audiobus 2 (I'll get 3 eventually), Gadget, Xewton Music Studio (I recently resurrected my usage of it since I found out how many great functions it has!), and once it stops crashing more often than a test dummy, I'll resurrect FL Studio Mobile, Audioshare, MTS Music Studio (if for nothing else, the autotuning functions are worth the high price alone lol). I'm thinking about going back to Beatmaker 2 for a spell and getting the full version of Hokusai (which has noise print based noise reduction!). Figure is the quickest way to get down an idea (which is followed by my most used app Beathawk).

@Lady_App_titude Oooo, now that's a real memory challenge indeed. Well, Nanostudio for starters. I like Nanostudio and love Eden synth, but the functioning of the app kinda kills creativity. Poison 202 has basically replaced Eden. I AM looking forward to Nanostudio 3.

My biggest waste of money was Tabletop. I was attracted to the modular aspect of it, bought the IAPs, but I could never really get anything decent nor exciting going with it. I've got nothing against it, and it suits others just fine. I just can't fit it into my workflow nor force my workflow to fit it, lol.

Rebirth was discontinued on the iPhone, and so I don't use that anymore. Thank you @brambos for Troublemaker! There's my 303-styled replica synth.

When it comes to any apps I despise, I can't stand Audiocopy. I may be in a small percentile here, but I hate the way it strictly requires the audio format to "16 bit wave". What if I can't be bothered to convert my wave files (i.e. my drum samples), some of which are 24-bit and 32-bit? It also has one of the least intuitive sorting systems imaginable with the inability to reorder files by "most recent".

Now, what I mentioned in of itself is no reason to hate Audiocopy but rather to simply ignore it. However, the hatred comes in where every single bloody app I have prefers to use that (or even mandates it)! I'm not sure when "open in" was introduced to iOS, but at least there's that option. :)

So, how about you @Lady_App_titude ? :) Got any favourites of recent times, favourites you've used for years, etc?

• edited April 2017

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

So, how about you @Lady_App_titude ? :) Got any favourites of recent times, favourites you've used for years, etc?

Even though it's one if the best apps, I have yet to truly dig into Animoog. Part of it may be the fairly modest selection of presets that comes with it. I have never bought any of the IAP preset expansions for it. I did download a shit ton of freebie presets for it but then zoned out when it came to the details of how to get them loaded into it. So it seems to have ended up forever on the back burner, however undeservedly. One of those "been meaning to get around to" apps.

On the other hand, for whatever reason, Beathawk seems to be the most instant gratification for me, so that's one the gets used in almost every project.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Even though it's one if the best apps, I have yet to truly dig into Animoog. Part of it may be the fairly modest selection of presets that comes with it. I have never bought any of the IAP preset expansions for it. I did download a shit ton of freebie presets for it but then zoned out when it came to the details of how to get them loaded into it. So it seems to have ended up forever on the back burner, however undeservedly. One of those "been meaning to get around to" apps.

On the other hand, for whatever reason, Beathawk seems to be the most instant gratification for me, so that's one the gets used in almost every project.

Ah, good old Animoog. I've kinda been meaning to get back to that, because it's pretty great for pad sounds and such, but even though I don't mind IAPs when they make sense, the whole buying timbres via IAPs just wasn't that appealing to me, and so I moved onto other synths. I still love the synth though.

Matter of fact, fun fact for you, I actually purchased Animoog for $2.99 when it was first released in 2012. Yeah, you read that correctly. It was a ridiculously cheap price, and I still have the receipt in my inbox to prove it, lol. Know what? I'm going to redownload Animoog tonight, because now nostalgia is calling to me, lol.

One synth I could never understand was CrystalXT. I love using it on the PC, and I thought purchasing it on the iPad would be a good thing. The only reliable thing about it is how reliably it crashes just when you're about to put the finishing touches on an evolving pad, lol.

• This year: LumaFusion and Model 15
    Since ever: Auria and iPolysix