Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Video] Actually making good music with apps

Comments

• edited April 2017

So basically, he made a track with his desktop computer. Not sure what happened in the latter half of the video, skipped through it at an excessively accelerated pace. Not a big fan of this particular brand of 'ecool', which seems to be permeating every aspect of YouTube at the minute.

Back to Auria..

[This came out more negative sounding than I intended. Never mind!]

• "ecool" you know it's spot on when I've never heard it before but know immediately what you're talking about. Not a fan either. But that guy is talented for sure

• Talented guy, not my brand of music but he's got it down!

• Andrew's stuff is always inspiring. He just loves to create music and bypass creative blocks. His process is eye opening when you see the body of his work. Thanks for posting link! I loved his Beathawk review. "E-Cool" and all :D <3

• Are the eyebrows "ecool" too?

• I don't really understand what eCool means. But I thought that video was pretty well produced and quite a good intro for people who might not know or have thought about music making apps.

• Cool video! Kinda in line with how I use my iPad; as a sound source, or means of quick inspiration, with the laptop handling the actual arranging and editing. I'd love to be able to do it all on iPad but it just doesn't feel quite there for me yet.

• Not my kind of pony, but slick all the same.

• I'm sorry, I try to be positive or just not say anything like the old adage but Huang's stuff makes a James Cameron movie look underproduced.

I'll give it to him, the work ethic to shoot & edit a video like that is huge but sometimes things can get too slick where it just comes off disengenuous.

YouTube has produced a legion of "content creators" that do this same thing from everything from cooking, makeup artistry, video games, etc.

I do appreciate the attention shown to the iOS music production community...I hope those newly interested realize you can also make other types of music than just soda commercial EDM.

• @echoopera said:
    Andrew's stuff is always inspiring. He just loves to create music and bypass creative blocks. His process is eye opening when you see the body of his work. Thanks for posting link! I loved his Beathawk review. "E-Cool" and all :D <3

I agree

ecool or not, he is talented and it's always inspiring to see how talented people work

• edited April 2017

While the craftsmanship of the video (if generic) was really good, I found the track boring. Landfill EDM w/ arbitrary beatboxing for extra ecool, which he replaced with samples later anyway.

Anyway, I'm being overly critical of a well made video for primarily humourous reasons, but honestly I'd rather watch a live stream in real time of one of you guys carefully routing MIDI and tweaking parameters in real time for 4 hours, finally creating 25 seconds (or 3 hours worth, none of which is captured) of truely unique art.

• I do like the video and can appreciate the editing and time that went into this and most all of his videos. Its not easy and very time consuming. He brings some humor to it, which I like.

I can see how overly produced videos can start to seem disingenuous though. Maybe we need to put it in perspective though. Before, to get a really produced video, it took a lot of money and a lot of expensive equipment. But now with an iPhone, you can record and edit extremely great looking and sounding videos. I guess the trick is figuring out how to keep a well produced video genuine in nature.

On another note, from someone who never actually makes any tracks(Me), he is actually completing projects. That is something that I want to actually do. I love the new shiny apps smell but I need to figure out how to get disciplined with my time and make some stuff. Although with my new camera, I will be able to more easily record some DabbleLabs.

• Thankss to this video I bought Bebot. It'd be sweet if it had midi in and link but it's cool.

• Distracting /annoying presentation and he appeared to show (apart from his Auxy thing at the end) that he uses Live (on the Desktop) to bring it all together.

• @raindro said:
    Thankss to this video I bought Bebot. It'd be sweet if it had midi in and link but it's cool.

Finally! Welcome to the inner sanctum....

• So much hating in this thread. I've seen a few of Andrew's videos, and it is what it is: a vlog-style youtube channel mostly targeted for a certain type of (probably younger) person. Judging by the 750k subscribers, it seems like he is reaching the audience all right. I don't think the point of this video was for some deep artistic expression, or being an iOS purist, or whatever else you wanted it to be about... ;)

• edited April 2017

@nw1 said:
    So much hating in this thread.

What is this new fangled 'hating' terminology ? Aren't we allowed to dislike something these days, or be underwhelmed by something without being described as a 'hater' ? I don't know who this feller is, I certainly don't hate him for his style of presentation, it's just not my thing. The word hate is being inappropriately used.

• edited April 2017

Seriously, who cares what a bunch of aging ex-punk rockers have to say? (That said, Fuck this guy and his soulless silver-shod Design Within Reach Lifestyle™! I mean: Funkbox? Please.)
    And I mean that in the most sincere, sour-grapes, aging ex-punk rocker way. :)

• edited April 2017

Aren't all music videos disingenuous, even if they present themselves as genuine? As creators we yearn for people to hear/see us. Also, can't a seemingly disingenuous video actually be genuine? Stylistically, he seems unapologetically poppy and trendy, with both the music and video, and he obviously has a fan base. Seems he's being pretty genuine to me in that regard.

Let's celebrate repectfully disagreeing and disrespectfully agreeing with each other on this forum all the same.

• @Igneous1 said:

What is this new fangled 'hating' terminology ? Aren't we allowed to dislike something these days, or be underwhelmed by something without being described as a 'hater' ? I don't know who this feller is, I certainly don't hate him for his style of presentation, it's just not my thing. The word hate is being inappropriately used.

Eh, yes you can of course state your opinion. The "so much hating" was not directed to you alone, but the collective of negative comments in this thread (most of which seemed to be missing the point of this production, and criticizing the style rather than substance). The general tone kind of came across as "whiny" if you don't like the term "hater-ish."

(Though the term "hater" would also perhaps imply some jealousy or a need to assure everyone that this isn't as good as they might think.)

• It seemed like he put a lot of thought and work into his video. It wasn't a tutorial and seemed to present an idea for a music flow where you create sound on your iPhone with various apps and then later compose them into a song on your computer which in his case was Ableton Live. He also talked about Auxy as an app you could use to make a complete song. While the style of music or video may not appeal to you, I do think he deserves some respect for the hard work he put into making the video.

I would think this particular video would appeal to people who like this style of music and hadn't thought about how to integrate their phone and computer to create songs. Perhaps the largest proportion of people who enjoy his videos are those people who aren't musicians themselves but do appreciate him showing his process in the style that he does in the video as a more tutorial oriented version would not appeal to them.

• Sigh, A hiphop producer friend of mine just sent me a link to this video. After years and years of me ranting and raving about iOS apps he is now asking me more about them. He just needed to see something slick, clean and reassuring from a pro and not some ranting crazed eyed looney jabbering about some link to a bus and the iaa after him.

• E-cool is working. Kid has 1,700 USD per week coming his way thru Patreon. I just hope he's enjoying himself and it seems like he is. I can't argue with that.

• Can one of the 'paladins of virtue' here please give us 'humans with opinions' some guidance on when and when it is and when its not appropriate to have an opinion. It's not our fault that we enjoy to share these opinions, we weren't fortunate enough to have been born into the 'church of moral high ground', so we weren't blessed to have had our opinions surgically removed as infants.

Also, us lower forms of opinion having humans often find that our opinions are best presented with a splash of humour (unlike divine virtue, which is best served obnoxiously). Please clarify when it's appropriate or not appropriate to use humor in the critique of art.

I, personally, rather than being ashamed of my opinion, am very proud of it. I chose to take the widely unpopular and socially condemned option of nurturing and developing my opinion throughout life. I've found that the toil has rewarded me with the insight to choose for myself what I enjoy or do not enjoy, rather than having to blindly follow popular metrics such as 'how many likes an artist has on facebook', or 'how much money they're potentially making'.

This is becoming long anyway, so I'm going to cut myself off. I thought it was pretty fucking funny. That could just be my opinion though.

• I hear you @OscarSouth It seems to be part of the everyones a winner, "the Grammy goes to" Stepford Wife positivity we're all supposed to have now in the 21st Century.

I am a hardcore liberal Democrat and the über PC hogwash has not only given us a bad name, it's created a backfire like recoil response that made the climate just right for our current bizarro world "President".

I like that Andrew is passionate & loves music. But I don't like the cheesy, overproduced content he puts up. Just my view, no offense. @Blipsford_Baubie maybe disengenuous was the wrong term but I was referring to the amounts of preproduction abd editing these videos have. Of course that's the style, like I said in my first post all the big YouTubers have adopted this ultra slick style. It just not my favorite thing when watching a "tutorial" or a 4th wall talking head style vlog. You don't need 4K DSLR multi lit jump cuts when talking about music...just my take.

For those of you who loved the video, great. I respect your opinion. We who differ aren't crusty old dinosaur f#cks who hate just to hate.

To me the root of this is also the crux of the music business sucking, the loudness wars, auto tune and so many other issues that technology & the absence of humanity have brought to all forms of entertainment. Just because you can make something perfect, doesn't mean you should. End of story.

• I don't know if the above two posts were in anyway directed toward my comment on Andrew's monetary success. Anyway, I would like to clarify that I don't particularly like this style of video either, mostly for the sense of arrogance that comes across (as perceived by this individual viewer, no comment on his actual personality) in this style of video. I guess it is mostly "confident acting" for the audience and slick production techniques, but it just annoys me. ...How much time does he spend getting those eyebrows ready for YouTube??

I do have a degree of respect for anyone who can develop a following that supports them in the $1,000's of dollars every month. It may be formulaic and uninspired music, but it takes an amount of hard work and expertise that I don't have. And he's having fun, well done. (But I'm not subscribing on YouTube and won't likely watch many of his videos)

• Also, sure everyone should be respectful, even in anonymous critique of online content, but the content producer will be more successful if they are able to take it and learn from it. If a content creator takes offense at criticism and see it as "hating" then they are setting themselves up for failing.

• Agreed on all points.

• edited April 2017

Completely accurate assessment. I don't think anyone is suggesting that opinions are not allowed. It is just unfortunate that mostly I can't stand what Andrew represents, and that this talented kid becomes a symbol for a completely vapid aesthetic -- one that he is simply imitating. It's almost beside the point that his music is crushingly banal. It's just a bummer that his talent is wholly in service of creating an empty "brand." Also: those shoes.

• If he wasn't doing these sorts of things that you find generic/annoying, would he have the audience that he has? I would find it equally annoying if someone was complaining about a tutorial video (or better yet, a "cool jam") being underproduced.

Has nothing to do with virtue, everyone being a winner, etc. My opinion, is that complaining about the style of this video which is made for something like the 12-20 year-old demographic is just sort of odd. If Andrew were to read this forum... how should he consider these critiques like "oh, there's too much production, the camera is too high quality! something about his eyebrows! what does he think, that he's cool or something?"

So, yes, I was poking fun at you. Though I don't completely disagree about the bigger question of whether the world needs more and more content every day, especially of the "infotainment" variety.