Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthetic drums: Ruismaker vs Elastic Drums

which one do you prefer soundwise?

Comments

• I like em both.

• Seekbeats sounds the best to me, and is the best for fine tuning, but I must confess I still find myself using the other two more.

• Love Ruismaker FM version

• Yep, both. It's the unofficial auto response on the forum when asked this or that?

• It's close but Ruismaker wins for me because of AUV3.

• I like all of the brambos apps,
    but the answer is Elastic Drums

• Winner: ELASTIC DRUMS (but you quickly get lost in all it can do) ;)

Really the winner is exactly SeekBeats, but Ruismaker aint bad though, not at all bad.

Easier to get a groove out of Elastic Drums. Easier to tweek SeekBeats. And by easier its only a matter of a few degrees.

Ruismaker has plenty of "whump" but no built in sequencer so you have to point something else at it.

• Elastic Drums has a ton of effects to go with their synth engines, effects you can automate, so I'd say Elastic Drums for sound.

• edited April 2017

Depends how you want to use them. ED is great, but my biggest issue with it is that I can't point a MIDI sequencer at it to play the drums (unless someone's worked out the secret). You can trigger parts, or sequences, but not the individual sounds as you can with Ruismaker. Could be that ED drums don't occupy a position on the keyboard, and are channels instead. Maybe.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Depends how you want to use them. ED is great, but my biggest issue with it is that I can't point a MIDI sequencer at it to play the drums (unless someone's worked out the secret). You can trigger parts, or sequences, but not the individual sounds as you can with Ruismaker. Could be that ED drums don't occupy a position on the keyboard, and are channels instead. Maybe.

good point! thanks for helping me decide.

• Don't if I should mention this but DM2 is pretty nice too.

• @MonzoPro said:

Individual sounds can be sequenced by Midi learning the trig pads on the jam screen

• edited April 2017

@gsm909 said:

@MonzoPro said:

Individual sounds can be sequenced by Midi learning the trig pads on the jam screen

Can they be sequenced by say, Modstep or another MIDI sequencer app? I thought I'd tried everything - went through a load of suggestions on here before but none worked, don't remember this one so will give it a go.

• I'm just waiting for ED to shrink down their interface so it can it can be used as AU (similar to BeatHawk approach). From what I understand this is in their roadmap

• @MonzoPro said:

@gsm909 said:

@MonzoPro said:

Can they be sequenced by say, Modstep or another MIDI sequencer app? I thought I'd tried everything - went through a load of suggestions on here before but none worked, don't remember this one so will give it a go.

Yep, it's finicky but I found the six notes that correspond to the six tracks using my MIDI keyboard. I believe it starts at C0 (maybe C1?).

• @Jocphone said:
    Don't if I should mention this but DM2 is pretty nice too.

Yah in terms of just synthetic drum sound sources I do find myself going to DM2 more these days.

As far as apps go, Elastic Drums wins for me because of the sampler but that is not exactly 'synthetic drums'.

I like Seekbeats too, the randomizer is great, but I can't seem to get as much range of sound as with DM2.

The only reason I do not use Ruismaker much is that parameter adjustment seems set for the step and does not free float, if that makes sence. I like when I twiddle knobs that the sound mutates, in realtime and not just triggers on the next step. A 'free float' setting would be great.

• @AudioGus said:

@Jocphone said:
    Don't if I should mention this but DM2 is pretty nice too.

Yah in terms of just synthetic drum sound sources I do find myself going to DM2 more these days.

As far as apps go, Elastic Drums wins for me because of the sampler but that is not exactly 'synthetic drums'.

I like Seekbeats too, the randomizer is great, but I can't seem to get as much range of sound as with DM2.

The only reason I do not use Ruismaker much is that parameter adjustment seems set for the step and does not free float, if that makes sence. I like when I twiddle knobs that the sound mutates, in realtime and not just triggers on the next step. A 'free float' setting would be great.

+1 for DM2

• I'd add SeekBeats to the list/arsenal as well.

• @realdavidai said:
    I'm just waiting for ED to shrink down their interface so it can it can be used as AU (similar to BeatHawk approach). From what I understand this is in their roadmap

AU drum apps would be great, as I find the FX path ways to be so limiting in most drum apps

• Get both

• wimwim
    edited April 2017

I gotta mention MoDrum. I don't know why, but that little app seems to get me to that middle ground between electronic and acoustic sounds quicker than anything when I'm looking for that kind of thing.

That said, RuisMaker is my go-to for purely electronic drum sounds for me. Elastic is great as a thing in itself, with it's FX, automation, and sequencer. But I'm not as good at coaxing the sounds I'm looking for from it as with RuisMaker.

SeekBeats is terrific too.

Get them all eventually!