Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Madrid Bass Models & Other Korg Gadget Miscellany

EDM, hip-hop, trap, dubstep, etc. are so well represented in MIDI instruments & production environments on iOS but "real" or "acoustic" traditional instruments can be harder to come by, often needing a dedicated app to get the best sounds available. Korg Gadget's Madrid & Gladstone are great examples of traditional drum & bass sounds. Since getting Gadget a few days ago I've been quite impressed with the quality of the Samples, etc.

My question concerns Madrid and the bass Models it emulates. As shown in the Madrid patch list, the standard Fender basses are accounted for, J for Jazz Bass and P for Precision Bass, easily recognized by their classic tone. I presume the R Bass is a Rickenbacker, the S Bass an Ernie Ball/Music Man Stingray and the H would be a Hofner 500/1, although the tone of it isn't really that warm, wooly Hofner tone to my ears. I am drawing a blank on the C Bass, don't think it's a Charvel tone since they were so Fendery anyway.

Any one else have any input? What bass models were Korg trying to ape with the Madrid line up?

Last thing: Since updating to 10.2 I've noticed a bit of the battery life hit that has been reported, going from an easy 10 hours use to about 9. I've noticed when using Gadget the battery gets eaten a lot faster. Just yesterday evening I had my Air 2 at 100% and I spent about 5 straight hours playing around in Gadget and afterwards the battery was at 30%. Anyone else notice Gadget sapping their battery faster than other apps? I just got Gadget so is this something that has been known for awhile? I did some searches on the battery life & bass models in Madrid but no dice.

Appreciate any input....be cool.

Comments

• Concerning battery usage: yes, I'm experiencing the same with both my iPad and iPhone. CPU gets very hot when playing on a gadget (less so in the scenes screen).
    Not new to the 3.0 update, same with the previous version.
    When playing Module, iM1 or iWavestation standalone apps this doesn't happen.

• Did you have to post this.........My mind is now consumed with identifying a Bass that starts with a C.

:D

• edited March 2017

I seem to remember Madrid having a legato mode, but I can't find it now. Maybe it's because I've been watching those Trilian videos. Am I missing something? Does it exist?

• @HandOfEmpty said:
    I seem to remember Madrid having a legato mode, but I can't find it now. Maybe it's because I've been watching those Trilian videos. Am I missing something? Does it exist?

Switch it from poly to mono using the scale button

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Did you have to post this.........My mind is now consumed with identifying a Bass that starts with a C.

I had a look on guitarguitar and pmt-online, neither had any basses beginning with C. Could it just mean crap bass? I don't have Madrid so I don't know what it sounds like.

• edited March 2017

The C Bass also has a WAH Slap option

Could it be one of these ?

A Warwick Corvette - If it is it may spark interest from @MonzoPro as Hansford Rowe from Gong used to play one

• @db909 said:

@HandOfEmpty said:

Switch it from poly to mono using the scale button

Thank you :)

• I love Gadget miscellany.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Did you have to post this.........My mind is now consumed with identifying a Bass that starts with a C.

Why the f### do you think I wrote that novella when "What bass starts with C?!" woulda sufficed, lol. It has been driving me nuts since I saw it brother.

I thought maybe it was shorthand for a player's particular tone but nah, it is in line with the J-Bass, P-Bass abbreviations.

A lot of pedal amp sims & iOS apps (I know Yonac does) give the amp head & cab that a tone is influenced by. Like @Jocphone I couldn't find anything re: Gadget online either, so who knows.

It could very well be a Warwick model @AndyPlankton In the grand scheme of things I know it doesn't matter, I was just curious. Like @Matt_Fletcher_2000 I do love my miscellany & minutiae.

• @JRSIV said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Why the f### do you think I wrote that novella when "What bass starts with C?!" woulda sufficed, lol. It has been driving me nuts since I saw it brother.

I thought maybe it was shorthand for a player's particular tone but nah, it is in line with the J-Bass, P-Bass abbreviations.

A lot of pedal amp sims & iOS apps (I know Yonac does) give the amp head & cab that a tone is influenced by. Like @Jocphone I couldn't find anything re: Gadget online either, so who knows.

It could very well be a Warwick model @AndyPlankton In the grand scheme of things I know it doesn't matter, I was just curious. Like @Matt_Fletcher_2000 I do love my miscellany & minutiae.

I am pretty convinced it is the Corvette, the C - Wah slap sounds just like the one in that vid.
    I hope your mind is at rest now, like mine is :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JRSIV said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I am pretty convinced it is the Corvette, the C - Wah slap sounds just like the one in that vid.

As someone who is obviously in to bass could you provide a mini review of Madrid? Hovering over the buy button, not convinced yet..

• @AndyPlankton said:

Thanks @AndyPlankton , whether the Madrid basses alter egos are identified or not, putzing around the last few days with Madrid has made me appreciate the tones it's capable of. Even if that H-bass isn't quite a match for a bona fide Hofner, using the valve amp & some careful EQ yielded an excellent dubby thud bass tone. Really happy with that Gadget IAP.

• @Jocphone said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JRSIV said:

@AndyPlankton said:

As someone who is obviously in to bass could you provide a mini review of Madrid? Hovering over the buy button, not convinced yet..

My usual 'flavour' of music is dub and reggae....so bass is an important part of that, I am also trying to achieve a 'band' sound as opposed to electronic...
    I am still struggling to consistently get the bass sound I am after, I have some learning to do on bass processing....I can't seem to get the lows but keep the clarity :| I'm sure this is me and not the software as i have the same problem when recording real bass guitar.
    I think perhaps @Oscarsouth could provide more insight and a better review if he has Gadget and Madrid.
    As requested in another thread this is based on me listening on both cheap Sennheiser earbuds and cheap Sennheiser HD201's

There are so many things that can affect the sound with a guitar (regular as well as bass), playing style, pick or fingering technique...pickup selection...tone settings, amp settings...if you are looking to emulate all of these things then Madrid is not the thing to do it...the guitar models are fixed with no options for any guitar control, but you do have control over which guitar model, the amp and FX and strangely to me the envelope (why model something and then give envelope controls when there is no envelope control in the real thing)

That being said, Madrid is very quick and easy to get a realistic sounding bass guitar...and better than any other option available in gadget..the sounds are very convincing even if you don't have the full control that some may want. Gladstone and Madrid are the first Gadgets I load when starting a new track.

Before Madrid I used to put iM1 through Tonestack, but Madrid means I do not need to do that anymore.

Check Jakob Haq's review here

One 'hidden' feature of madrid is that they keys can be made taller, giving better velocity control....you can record a phrase using Madrid, and then swap gadgets to something else..meaning you can record other gadgets with better velocity. Many have asked for this style of keyboard to be added to the other Gadgets.

If you want a realistic bass guitar sound then i would wholly recommend it.

• edited March 2017

Hey @AndyPlankton , afraid I don't have any of the Gadget stuff. I do see amp envelope controls on the Thumbnail of Jacob's video though and I'd say to pay close attention to those. Subtle adjustment to the 'shape' of the sound will have much bigger ramifications to the feel of the groove and how the bass sits in the mix than equally subtle adjustments to tone.

Tone is of course important, but in general as long as you avoid including too many unwanted frequencies, you can't go wrong in a mix. Look at some of the junk equipment that gets taken out with rock groups.. and still manages to sound ok inside the scope of the band's sound!

• Thanks for the thoughts @AndyPlankton
    Do you feel that Madrid has enough worth? Is there much variety in the basses?

Also, wondering if freezing a Madrid track then taking it into the new Rosario gadget would yield anything exciting?

• @Jocphone said:
    Thanks for the thoughts @AndyPlankton

Also, wondering if freezing a Madrid track then taking it into the new Rosario gadget would yield anything exciting?

I have bought all my Gadget IAPs during the sales, so for me I have had plenty of worth out of it, I can't even remember the price LOL.

I only really use the P Finger presets, as this was what the bass player in my old band used and i am really only making 1 genre of music (unless I'm just fiddling or making an accompanyment for my latest blocs wave concoction....I mean careful artistic melding of styles)......and yes I too have been wondering about how Rosario will cope with bass...I'm hoping to play my real bass into it...As for importing Madrid....it would be better if Madrid allowed you to bypass the built in Amp sim then this would probably work really nicely, I guess if you keep the gain down and go for a clean amp the results should be pretty good.

I will use Madrid when composing and putting stuff together when I don't have guitars to hand or simply cannot be arsed plugging them in, and then recording real bass (hopefully) and guitar by using Rosario once I have an arrangement in place. This way I wont have to keep re-recording bass and guitar parts while building the track but can record them afterwards.

If I could ask for a new gadget it would be the Madrid equivalent for regular electric guitar, I guess there are far more combinations to consider for this and thats why they haven't done it yet. But with their toneworks knowledge and capabilities I'm sure they could if they wanted to.

• just the standup bass sounds alone make it worth it for me.

• The "c" bass sounds a lot like a chapman stick to me. Of coarse having a more keys to play with would work better if that is what it is

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Jocphone said:

I have bought all my Gadget IAPs during the sales, so for me I have had plenty of worth out of it, I can't even remember the price LOL.

I only really use the P Finger presets, as this was what the bass player in my old band used and i am really only making 1 genre of music (unless I'm just fiddling or making an accompanyment for my latest blocs wave concoction....I mean careful artistic melding of styles)......and yes I too have been wondering about how Rosario will cope with bass...I'm hoping to play my real bass into it...As for importing Madrid....it would be better if Madrid allowed you to bypass the built in Amp sim then this would probably work really nicely, I guess if you keep the gain down and go for a clean amp the results should be pretty good.

I will use Madrid when composing and putting stuff together when I don't have guitars to hand or simply cannot be arsed plugging them in, and then recording real bass (hopefully) and guitar by using Rosario once I have an arrangement in place. This way I wont have to keep re-recording bass and guitar parts while building the track but can record them afterwards.

If I could ask for a new gadget it would be the Madrid equivalent for regular electric guitar, I guess there are far more combinations to consider for this and thats why they haven't done it yet. But with their toneworks knowledge and capabilities I'm sure they could if they wanted to.

Thanks Andy, think I was hoping for something a little more flexible than a few bass samples. That buy button is staying unclicked for now. Like you, the lure of real instruments is firing me up lately.

• @Jocphone said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Jocphone said:

Thanks Andy, think I was hoping for something a little more flexible than a few bass samples. That buy button is staying unclicked for now. Like you, the lure of real instruments is firing me up lately.

yw....It does sound better than a plain sample, so i think there is at least multi sampling and/or some very good processing on velocity as it does sound pretty dynamic.