Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MainStage with Logic Remote

Out of today’s updates, MainStage 3.3 is probably the most useful for me. Simple reason: Logic Remote required it but it wasn’t out, yet. As soon as my iPhone finishes the iOS 10.3 update (with its filesystem upgrade), will give Logic Remote a try.

Have y’all been using such a setup, driving MainStage or Logic Pro X through iOS devices? Might be getting my hopes up for nothing but since my only macOS device right now is a Mac mini, been thinking about using it headless in something of a performance context using Logic Remote.

Call me naïve. (Name’s Alex, though.)

Comments

• I'm still trying to wrap my head around iOS and LPX multitimbral. Close, but not quite there. I've had a good deal of fun with iOS and Mainstage though. I haven't done much with Logic Remote though.

• @funjunkie27 said:
    I've had a good deal of fun with iOS and Mainstage though.

As in driving MainStage with an iOS controller? What do you use?

Tried Logic Remote from my iPad 3 and it works as expected. A bit slow to change patches, but that shouldn’t be a problem. Reassures me about using this Mac mini headless during performance.

Somewhat surprisingly, Logic Remote includes interfaces to play the patches from the iOS device but the latency makes those unusable. Maybe it’s an issue with my setup.

And, for some reason, my iPhone doesn’t find MainStage. In fact, it mentions Logic Pro X and Garage Band but not MainStage. Just assumed it’d work with MainStage but maybe it’s somehow restricted? If so, that’s kind of weird but Apple is known to do weird stuff, these days.

• Haven't got Mainstage, but I use Remote on my Air 2 to mix Logic tracks on my 2012 MacBook Pro. Haven't done this for a while but not aware of much latency, though it does lose connection occasionally.

• I was using Different Drummer to drive it. I was running Mainstage on a Mac Mini as well. I think I was using a Lightning cable to connect it, and I had to use the Audio/Midi utility to set it up. I also had to create multiple keyboards in Mainstage to use as multitimbral.

• I've been using Midi Designer as midi controller on IOS to drive mainstage for a few years now - wired via the free app musicIO. Been rock solid. Also played around with the app Duet, as it's effectively a second screen, but for some reason it cannot cope with smart control knobs/sliders in mainstage, which is a shame, developers promised this for about 6 months now - so given up with Duet. definitely give Midi Designer a go.

• Updated both mainstage and logic remote. It seems to work flawlessly. No noticeable latency. Pulled up some au instrument I had in mainstage, and using some of the smart instrument control from logic was great fun.