Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KRFT 1.3 update

I started a new thread because the previous is getting sooooo long.

It took me a long few days to see the utility of KRFT at first. Seemed a bit toy like and fairly limited in application. How wrong I was. This is one of those apps where the limitations become strengths. With some very simple controls you can create your own custom groove box, the fact that it sounds great as well really makes this a great exploration tool.

The latest update 1.3 shows how a talented developer, in tune with their customers, can enhance what is a fantastic UI without ruining the essence of the app. Let's face it, any developer who shows their face on this forum gets bombarded with all sorts of outlandish requests, make it more fish, more fowl, etc.. and could easily fall into the trap of trying to please everyone resulting in the opposite effect usually.

Thank you @Alex fox for a great app that brings a fresh approach to iOS music and composition.

P.s. If I could make one request it would be for user selected colour schemes. These tired old eyes find dark backgrounds a bit of a strain.

Comments

• Agreed, looks like we have another five-star dev come to help us with our musical fun.

• Impossible to rate this highly enough: 5 star design, functionality, usability, fun factor, support, updates etc. Top notch.

• It somehow reminds me of HyperCard, maybe it reminds me of what I wished could do with HC all those years ago.

Now that would be a grand idea, surfaces that had cards you could switch between that held more buttons. Damn, it's too tempting to make outlandish requests :blush:

• @Jocphone said:

It took me a long few days to see the utility of KRFT at first. Seemed a bit toy like and fairly limited in application. How wrong I was. This is one of those apps where the limitations become strengths. With some very simple controls you can create your own custom groove box, the fact that it sounds great as well really makes this a great exploration tool.

The latest update 1.3 shows how a talented developer, in tune with their customers, can enhance what is a fantastic UI without ruining the essence of the app. Let's face it, any developer who shows their face on this forum gets bombarded with all sorts of outlandish requests, make it more fish, more fowl, etc.. and could easily fall into the trap of trying to please everyone resulting in the opposite effect usually.

Thank you @Alex fox for a great app that brings a fresh approach to iOS music and composition.

P.s. If I could make one request it would be for user selected colour schemes. These tired old eyes find dark backgrounds a bit of a strain.

Thank you for all the support! Me and my bro (@w3epy) have been working on this idea for a long time and it's fantastic to see people getting it - really makes all the hard work worth it.

As with all updates the reviews get pushed off the listings first page so please can you "re-review" KRFT on the App Store, it makes all the difference!

• @Jocphone said:
    It somehow reminds me of HyperCard, maybe it reminds me of what I wished could do with HC all those years ago.

Now that would be a grand idea, surfaces that had cards you could switch between that held more buttons. Damn, it's too tempting to make outlandish requests :blush:

Do you mean like a "multi-touch" button that would transfer your touch to many buttons or am I mis-understanding?

• @Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:
    It somehow reminds me of HyperCard, maybe it reminds me of what I wished could do with HC all those years ago.

Do you mean like a "multi-touch" button that would transfer your touch to many buttons or am I mis-understanding?

HyperCard was a very simple application where you made your own apps, in much the same way that each surface in KRFT could be seen as a simple app. I guess PowerPoint or Keynote are similar. In HyperCard you could place buttons that enabled a range of actions some of which were 'go to the next card', 'go to the first card', 'go to the card named x' but it was mostly very visual and simple to use like KRFT. It was also massively popular because it meant that anyone could cobble together an app (they were stacks) without realising that's what they were doing.

So my thought was, each KFRT surface has views that can swap in and out, so you could have intro card, verse card, chorus card etc.. and you provide a button type that deals with switching between them. Does that make any sense at all?

• similar but I think HyperCard appeared much simpler to use and understand.

• edited March 2017

I bought the app yesterday and I'm loving it so far. How about follow-actions, as per Ableton but with a KRFT flavour? For example, you could have a type of cell where you set a series of target loops to cycle between, and either have that done in a specific order or randomly, depending on how you configure the follow-actions cell in the edit screen. You could also choose whether to loop these actions a specific number of times before the cell deactivates, or indefinitely until you turn the cell off.

If you had multiple instances of this type of cell, you could either choose to blend them or get one to deactivate when you activate another. I think that with this idea you'd get some of the advantages of a timeline or arrangement, but have it completely user-configurable, tweakable live, and maintaining the KRFT ethos.

• Silly question
    How do i delete surfaces.....
    I am sure i must of missed something

• @Alex fox said:

@Jocphone said:

Thank you for all the support! Me and my bro (@w3epy) have been working on this idea for a long time and it's fantastic to see people getting it - really makes all the hard work worth it.

As with all updates the reviews get pushed off the listings first page so please can you "re-review" KRFT on the App Store, it makes all the difference!

Done, interestingly the auto-complete on search still shows the old "modular music making" tag line and clicking on this results in an empty search. I guess this will fix itself over time or is this something you need to trigger?

• @Nicebutfun said:
    Silly question
    How do i delete surfaces.....
    I am sure i must of missed something

Click on the three vertical dots.

• Here's the change log for 1.3 if anyone is interested:

• Added 16th triplet & 8th triplet grids in to the matrix
    • See note info when changing velocity, length, pitch in matrix
    • Now add Labels to your cells to help you remember what they are!
    • Added a preset picker list
    • Redesigned the Surface Edit/Add Cell menu
    • Now you can change the channel a cell points towards
    • Also you can turn a Loop or a Fill on/off in edit mode
    • Added a simple keyboard/drum preview keyboard to the sound tweaks page to help with tweaking!
    • Added Cue Time and Mode to Group settings
    • Reworked the keyboard toolbar and added velocity controls
    • Now set cue & sync on timelines to 0 for instant fun
    • Added a long hold in edit mode to go straight into cel edit
    • Note preview toggle
    • Metronome toggle
    • Now enter custom value of horizontal sliders by tapping on the value
    • Fixed gate issue on drums
    • Fixed an issue with Ableton Link & swing
    • Fixed importing .wav files
  • @Michael_R_Grant said:
    I bought the app yesterday and I'm loving it so far. How about follow-actions, as per Ableton but with a KRFT flavour? For example, you could have a type of cell where you set a series of target loops to cycle between, and either have that done in a specific order or randomly, depending on how you configure the follow-actions cell in the edit screen. You could also choose whether to loop these actions a specific number of times before the cell deactivates, or indefinitely until you turn the cell off.

If you had multiple instances of this type of cell, you could either choose to blend them or get one to deactivate when you activate another. I think that with this idea you'd get some of the advantages of a timeline or arrangement, but have it completely user-configurable, tweakable live, and maintaining the KRFT ethos.

Love the idea of follow actions, although I could be persuaded that a variation function (with tweakable settings) could be even easier. Going to leave a fresh review.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Love the idea of follow actions, although I could be persuaded that a variation function (with tweakable settings) could be even easier. Going to leave a fresh review.

this sounds like the type of thing that in essence can already be done, just have to get experimental with layouts and how you play them. There are copious possibilities. All the parameters are there I think.

• Review updated.

• @db909 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

this sounds like the type of thing that in essence can already be done, just have to get experimental with layouts and how you play them. There are copious possibilities. All the parameters are there I think.

Manual variation is a joy with this app. I meant auto generated variation.

• @Jocphone
    Nice 1
    I knew it would be simple , many thanks
    Back to making new surfaces
    1 last time.....Awsome app.
    Keep up the good work.
    Peace and love

• edited March 2017

Thank you for the awesome update!!!! Please more than anything please work on Midi Out IAP this will out KRFT over the top. I dream of sending midi notes to Gadget and other apps!!

I'll save some cash on my iTunes for KFRT midi out IAP :)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thank you for the awesome update!!!! Please more than anything please work on Midi Out IAP this will out KRFT over the top. I dream of sending midi notes to Gadget and other apps!!

We're planning midi out now. Coming in version 1.5/1.6 depending on how quick the development is!

• @Alex fox said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

We're planning midi out now. Coming in version 1.5/1.6 depending on how quick the development is!

Awesome! Any plans for Audiobus? I am just recording KRFT from one iPad into Blocs Wave on another iPad. It is a fantastic combination. Would love to be able to do this all on one iPad.

• @AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Awesome! Any plans for Audiobus? I am just recording KRFT from one iPad into Blocs Wave on another iPad. It is a fantastic combination. Would love to be able to do this all on one iPad.

It doesn't have IAA?

• @Alex fox said:

@AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

It doesn't have IAA?

It's built around IAA but has a few differences, but no you can't load an IAA app into audiobus unless it's audiobus compatible.

• @Alex fox said:

@AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

It doesn't have IAA?

Blocs? No sir.

• @Carnbot said:

@Alex fox said:

@AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

It doesn't have IAA?

It's built around IAA but has a few differences, but no you can't load an IAA app into audiobus unless it's audiobus compatible.

I see. It's not on our roadmap atm but it depends how difficult it would be to implement.

• edited March 2017

@Alex fox said:

@Carnbot said:

@Alex fox said:

@AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

It doesn't have IAA?

I see. It's not on our roadmap atm but it depends how difficult it would be to implement.

One thing I noticed is that KRFT shows up in AUM as an IAA Instrument... I am not sure why this is. If it were an IAA Generator than I think AUM may be able to pipe it to AB which could then pipe it to Blocs without the IAA Instrument components 'plugging it up' (if that makes sense).

Typicaly IAA Instruments are used for transport control and syncing etc but since KRFT has Link it seems like it could just be an IAA Generator.

• @AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@Carnbot said:

@Alex fox said:

@AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

It doesn't have IAA?

One thing I noticed is that KRFT shows up in AUM as an IAA Instrument... I am not sure why this is. If it were an IAA Generator than I think AUM may be able to pipe it to AB which could then pipe it to Blocs without the IAA Instrument components 'plugging it up' (if that makes sense).

Typicaly IAA Instruments are used for transport control and syncing etc but since KRFT has Link it seems like it could just be an IAA Generator.

I was pretty sure we made KRFT an IAA generator not a host as there's no way to record in to KRFT at the moment.

• edited March 2017

@Alex fox said:

@AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@Carnbot said:

@Alex fox said:

@AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

It doesn't have IAA?

I was pretty sure we made KRFT an IAA generator not a host as there's no way to record in to KRFT at the moment.

I believe there are...

1. IAA Generators (simply make sound)
    2. IAA Instruments (make sound and send/recieve sync information)
    3. IAA Hosts (can host IAA generators and Instruments within them)

At the moment it looks like KRFT is #2 when it probably should be #1

• @AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@Carnbot said:

@Alex fox said:

@AudioGus said:

@Alex fox said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

It doesn't have IAA?

I believe there are...

1. IAA Generators (simply make sound)
    2. IAA Instruments (make sound and send/recieve sync information)
    3. IAA Hosts (can host IAA generators and Instruments within them)

At the moment it looks like KRFT is #2 when it probably should be #1

Hm ok I'll look into it!