Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 launches Monday, April 3rd!

Comments

• @syrupcore said:
    Not a marketer but there's probably an argument for releasing on the same day if possible. Don't think existing customers would be any more or less excited about either as they both are solidly in the 'genuinely big deal' category. Both on the same day could work do increase the perceived bigdealedness. And while AB might be the biggest of deals in our little community, there's a wider music tech loving community for whom KORG anything is a giant deal. Releasing AB3 on the same day (and getting media coverage on the same day) could serve as a way to introduce a lot of non-iOS music tech lovers to the music/tech possibilities afforded by iOS and AB3.

I agree with this approach, but probably easier not to...

• edited March 2017

@Sebastian said:
    We're going to support Bluetooth MIDI in version 3.1 I think.

Yes, please do! And midiflow already does...

• @Munibeast said:

@Sebastian said:
    We're going to support Bluetooth MIDI in version 3.1 I think.

Yes, please do! And midiflow already does...

Seconded!

• Sounds like the scene has been set for some cool Midi transformer type apps, or Midi effects, in the filter slot. I'd love to see something like the MIDI effects in Midisequencer, like midi echo, midi gate (only higher velocity notes get through), harmonizer, quantizer, etc.

Seems like audiobus 3 midi is set up to make things easy, like layers, and splits. Very cool.

• @Processaurus said:
    I'd love to see something like the MIDI effects in Midisequencer, like midi echo, midi gate (only higher velocity notes get through), harmonizer, quantizer, etc.

Haven’t tried Midisequencer but a flexible harmonizer would be really, really neat.
    Sounds like the filters Johannes Dörr will release might cover some of the ground.

• @Processaurus said:
    Sounds like the scene has been set for some cool Midi transformer type apps, or Midi effects, in the filter slot. I'd love to see something like the MIDI effects in Midisequencer, like midi echo, midi gate (only higher velocity notes get through), harmonizer, quantizer, etc.

Seems like audiobus 3 midi is set up to make things easy, like layers, and splits. Very cool.

Would it be too much to dream of something like the Players in Reason 9:
    https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/instruments/player-devices
    Very, very cool indeed,

• If MobMuPlat would be turned into an AUv3 one could make all sorts of MIDI FX with that on more than one track at a time. Reason 9's Players look very nice, though. I hadn't heard of them. And I'm very curious what surprises @JohannesD will bring to the table.

• Sorry if this is a stupid question - but will I be able to route audio from different inputs of my multi-channel USB interface into different apps using Audiobus3? (and then send the outputs back to separate outputs)

• @ricksteruk said:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question - but will I be able to route audio from different inputs of my multi-channel USB interface into different apps using Audiobus3?

Yes.

(and then send the outputs back to separate outputs)

Not in version 3.0 but this is high up on the feature list for the 3.1 update.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@syrupcore said:
    Not a marketer but there's probably an argument for releasing on the same day if possible. Don't think existing customers would be any more or less excited about either as they both are solidly in the 'genuinely big deal' category. Both on the same day could work do increase the perceived bigdealedness. And while AB might be the biggest of deals in our little community, there's a wider music tech loving community for whom KORG anything is a giant deal. Releasing AB3 on the same day (and getting media coverage on the same day) could serve as a way to introduce a lot of non-iOS music tech lovers to the music/tech possibilities afforded by iOS and AB3.

I agree with this approach, but probably easier not to...

There's the danger that the media wouldn't appreciate the specialness of the two big deals for iOS users, and the PR clout that Korg carry swamps the AB news.

I think they're doing the right thing, waiting a few days after, and there's the bonus of a bit of an extra interest in iOS news courtesy of the Korg update.

• edited March 2017

I really hope this release of AB adds some input/output routing like AUM so i dont have to reroute things from aum thru ab and back thru aum again

• @Sebastian said:

@ricksteruk said:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question - but will I be able to route audio from different inputs of my multi-channel USB interface into different apps using Audiobus3?

Yes.

(and then send the outputs back to separate outputs)

Not in version 3.0 but this is high up on the feature list for the 3.1 update.

Great, my question kinda answered. Im hoping for an all in one solution to routing my voice through a looper app, through fx, and also routing my external hardware looper thru fx, all from specific channels on my interface. Sounds like ab3 is gonna be the homie

• @Sebastian said:
    Volume/Mute/solo/pan: yes

Will they be MIDI Controllable?

• @obiwahnkentobi said:
    @Sebastian said:
    Volume/Mute/solo/pan: yes

Will they be MIDI Controllable?

Right, very important question, that.
    And the other one: Can we launch and also properly close apps via MIDI controller in AB3, @Sebastian?

• @syrupcore said:

@Korakios said:
    Does AB3 sdk automatically make apps supporting save state feature ?

I don't think so but man oh man would I love to see this.

I very much appreciate the benefits of the "can't charge for AudioBus" rule but I would very very happily fork over IAP cash for state saving for a few apps if that incentive helped make it something doable for developers.

+1 I do wish there was some way to incentivize full adoption of all of the features Audiobus has to offer. Jumping into each app to re-load patches is a buzzkill / time waster akin to the MIDI setup dance. State saving is fantastic.

Also Audiobus Remote features; being able to control major features of an app while it's still in the background is very useful.

Speaking of, @Sebastian, is Audiobus Remote compatible with Audiobus 3? I was under the impression it would, but your response to @OscarSouth seems to imply AB Remote is tied to AB2.

And while we're at it - I'm pretty sure I read that AB3 keeps the flat list of presets. Please, please, please consider implementing a hierarchical, folder structure in an update. It is tedious and difficult to navigate when you have dozens and dozens of presets.

• @aplourde said:

@syrupcore said:

@Korakios said:

I very much appreciate the benefits of the "can't charge for AudioBus" rule but I would very very happily fork over IAP cash for state saving for a few apps if that incentive helped make it something doable for developers.

+1 I do wish there was some way to incentivize full adoption of all of the features Audiobus has to offer. Jumping into each app to re-load patches is a buzzkill / time waster akin to the MIDI setup dance. State saving is fantastic.

Also Audiobus Remote features; being able to control major features of an app while it's still in the background is very useful.

Speaking of, @Sebastian, is Audiobus Remote compatible with Audiobus 3? I was under the impression it would, but your response to @OscarSouth seems to imply AB Remote is tied to AB2.

And while we're at it - I'm pretty sure I read that AB3 keeps the flat list of presets. Please, please, please consider implementing a hierarchical, folder structure in an update. It is tedious and difficult to navigate when you have dozens and dozens of presets.

While part of me shrieks Don't distract them now!! I would really appreciate some 'filing' help as regards the last point....as our apps get more sophisticated and also interact increasingly the twin (separate) abilities of state-saving and then sensible retrieval (file structure) seem to become more and more attractive/urgent by the day....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@aplourde said:

@syrupcore said:

@Korakios said:

While part of me shrieks Don't distract them now!! I would really appreciate some 'filing' help as regards the last point....as our apps get more sophisticated and also interact increasingly the twin (separate) abilities of state-saving and then sensible retrieval (file structure) seem to become more and more attractive/urgent by the day....

All of these points are very important to us and they are either included in Audiobus 3.0 or on our list for the 3.1 update.

• @aplourde said:

Audiobus Remote currently not compatible with Audiobus 3 because we still need to do an update to so that AUX show up in there. It's a minor issue but we don't want to launch with it because it increases complexity of an already very complex product. We'll make it compatible with Audiobus 3 later, probably very soon after launch.

• I'm really looking forward to the AB Remote update. For me, having Remote functionality for AU is actually the most significant 'new feature' proposed yet (although I'm also pretty happy about apps loading in the background too!).

Not in any urgency for the update though. On AB3 launch I'm going to continue with AB2 for a while, alongside 'playing' with AB3 the overlap period before the update. Should be an interesting time!

• @Sebastian said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@aplourde said:

@syrupcore said:

@Korakios said:

All of these points are very important to us and they are either included in Audiobus 3.0 or on our list for the 3.1 update.

Brilliant!

• @Sebastian

I'm impressed at how you're handling this rollout. I can't wait for the product, but mostly because I know it's going to be rock-solid and crucial from Day One.

OK, that was my impersonation of a fanboy. Feels weird. Back to acerbic know-nothing....

• Timing the release of AudioBus 3 with iOS10.3 would be awesome :)

• Or just wait for iOS 11 :blush:

• Holding off on buying apps till AB3

• @johnn said:
    Holding off on buying apps till AB3

Ditto.

My impression is that, with new apps to take advantage of new possibilities, the update(s) will make a dent in my budget.

It’s getting a bit hard to wait, though. Just in terms of figuring out how much the “bill” will end up being. To me, this is all just about having fun, though some parts of my setup will probably be useful in more serious contexts.

• edited March 2017

@Enkerli said:

@johnn said:

Ditto.

My impression is that, with new apps to take advantage of new possibilities, the update(s) will make a dent in my budget.

It’s getting a bit hard to wait, though. Just in terms of figuring out how much the “bill” will end up being. To me, this is all just about having fun, though some parts of my setup will probably be useful in more serious contexts.

You keep mentioning the "bill" but I think you're confused. AB3 will be a new app to buy, but if I'm not mistaken, it will work with all the apps you have.

• Is my this gonna make AUM pretty much obsolete?

• @Telstar5 said:
    Is my this gonna make AUM pretty much obsolete?

We're not trying to make AUM obsolete. We're focusing on time to get creative/ease of use and appeal to a larger audience with less of an audio engineering background.

@Enkerli said:

@johnn said:

Ditto.

Audiobus 3 is not going to break the bank and the only apps that are going to be new are Johannes Dörr's midiFlow apps. All the other apps we've worked with will receive free updates, as far as I can tell. So it's not going to be a big dent... unless you buy all the midi controller apps and AUX that are compatible, should you not already own them.

• @Sebastian

I use AudioBus into AUM. You have said that all AB2 apps will still be compatible with AB3. Can I assume that even if AUM does not update to AB3 full compatibility that it will still pretty much work as it does now (obviously you can't account for any issues on AUMs end), in principle at least?

• With all credit that's due to AB3 and it's team, I really can't imagine where all the AUM killer comments are coming from. The purposes of the two apps are very different!