Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB3 today?

Am I right in thinking it's kind of coming out today? like Beatmaker 3? or IAA support in FL Studio Mobile 3? something about that difficult third app version! Anyway good luck guys... Looking forward to it.

Comments

• Silence.........me no like.

• More popcorn...

• No, not today. We're working on tutorial videos and preparing Press releases, the manual, newsletters and maybe squeezing in a feature that we've pushed to the Audiobus 3.1 release into 3.0.

We're launching in the coming weeks.

• @Sebastian said:
    No, not today. We're working on tutorial videos and preparing Press releases, the manual, newsletters and maybe squeezing in a feature that we've pushed to the Audiobus 3.1 release into 3.0.

A littlebit of a bummer. But extra feature seems intersting. I guess this would make AB 3.0 a AUM killer.

• edited March 2017

@mannix said:

@Sebastian said:
    No, not today. We're working on tutorial videos and preparing Press releases, the manual, newsletters and maybe squeezing in a feature that we've pushed to the Audiobus 3.1 release into 3.0.

A littlebit of a bummer. But extra feature seems intersting. I guess this would make AB 3.0 a AUM killer.

Hard to see that happening and I don't see much of a direct competition but I'm sure AB3 will be amazing

• @mannix said:

Gosh, that would be unfortunate. I use both apps side by side every day. Nothing I've heard about AB3 suggests that I'll change that.

• I use AUM a lot more than AB now. AB3 will most probably change that. AUM killer would be unfortunate for the dev but probably a win for the user in general because it's preferable to have the functionality all in one neat app. We'll see when AB3 arrives... And of course it's always great to have alternatives.

• @OscarSouth said:

@mannix said:

@Sebastian said:

Hard to see that happening and I don't see much of a direct competition but I'm sure AB3 will be amazing

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mannix said:

Gosh, that would be unfortunate. I use both apps side by side every day. Nothing I've heard about AB3 suggests that I'll change that.

Just speculation but implementation of AU in AB 3.0 would in my eyes make AUM redundant. Or do I see this wrong?

• @mannix said:
    Just speculation but implementation of AU in AB 3.0 would in my eyes make AUM redundant. Or do I see this wrong?

Hmmmm. That would suggest that AUM's only value proposition is AU hosting, which may be your use case. I use a lot of the "M" in "AUM".

• Maybe it will be more like a DAW and supports au, audio and midi tracks.

• AUM killer will be Modstep with audio loops like loopy. Meanwhile AB3/LMp are still a (near) promise and AUM the best app of the 2016. Sometimes first (with bugs or faulty design) is better than "the never best" (Loopy Master piece I'm looking to you...)
    Is taking so long (too much) and not all the users are hobbyist who can deal with delays in releasing. Hype is a two sided sword...

• @Dubbylabby said:
    AUM killer will be Modstep with audio loops like loopy.

Is Modstep with audio loops really a thing?

• Let's be realistic guys .. nothing is going to kill AUM. It's just that good.

• edited March 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Dubbylabby said:
    AUM killer will be Modstep with audio loops like loopy.

Is Modstep with audio loops really a thing?

Yup GarageBand with AB and midi (for live gigs)

• @Dubbylabby said:

Yeah, I use Modstep for MIDI clips. But I've seen nothing to indicate that audio loops are coming. Do you have inside knowledge? It'd be great if they go in this direction!

• @OscarSouth said:
    Let's be realistic guys .. nothing is going to kill AUM. It's just that good.

It's the audio hosting equivalent of a cockroach, it will survive Armageddon.

As will Audiobus. Happy to have them both.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Yeah, I use Modstep for MIDI clips. But I've seen nothing to indicate that audio loops are coming. Do you have inside knowledge? It'd be great if they go in this direction!

Yes, sounds intersting. Bought Modstep a while ago when it was on sale. Never used it though. Can remeber they promised a huge update, but so far none. For me fast sketch work I always use Gadget

• @mannix said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Yes, sounds intersting. Bought Modstep a while ago when it was on sale. Never used it though. Can remeber they promised a huge update, but so far none. For me fast sketch work I always use Gadget

There has been a huge update. I don't think there are new features, really, but it's rock solid now. And there is audio in Modstep. There's a built-in sampler. I don't think you can record INTO Modstep, but you can import a soundfile from AudioShare and replay it as a loop or chop to pads.
    @gonekrazy3000 made a beautiful and concise video showing this very process.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Let's be realistic guys .. nothing is going to kill AUM. It's just that good.

It's the audio hosting equivalent of a cockroach, it will survive Armageddon.

As will Audiobus. Happy to have them both.

Yup.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@mannix said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Dubbylabby said:

There has been a huge update. I don't think there are new features, really, but it's rock solid now. And there is audio in Modstep. There's a built-in sampler. I don't think you can record INTO Modstep, but you can import a soundfile from AudioShare and replay it as a loop or chop to pads.

its wierd that i myself forgot that feature existed. good thing the tutorial was concise lol.

• I've watched that video several times--it is really good!

Looping audio in Modstep is still convoluted and lacks basic features like time stretching etc.

• What's the feeling about Modstep development? Are we (from the developers view) 90% there and will likely see small tweaks and fixes from here, or is there still quite a roadmap?

• They posted here recently that they are rewriting the app to make necessary improvements. One has to applaud their ambition and tenacity.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I've watched that video several times--it is really good!

Looping audio in Modstep is still convoluted and lacks basic features like time stretching etc.

It was only a wish wrote in a forum. I don't have any clue where or when. Just pointing that these features are now covered by AUM, Blocswave/Launchpad, GTL and LooptunesHD and I don't wait for news since I need tools and improvements for today (and Loopy MP has been more than two years in development...)

• edited March 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:

@mannix said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Okay thanks for that! And these upcoming refinement of audio loop possibilities will make Modstep even more truely amazing :)

• There are 2 things that would make AB3 on par with AUM.

-It supports AUs (which I believe was confirmed if I remember correctly).
    -It supports advanced MIDI routing to drive synths (whether AU or AB2/3 compatible) via an external MIDI source.

What would make AB3 an AUM killer?

-If it forced lazy app manufacturers via the AB3 SDK to implement state saving so AB sessions are nice and tidy.
    -If the AB3 SDK had the mind-bending function host multiple instances of the same non-AU app simultaneously as if the app were an AU.

• No, that would not make AB3 on par with AUM. With AUM, you can send 60 % of the signal to mix bus B before effect 1 and 30 % to mix bus C after effect 2, with B and C both sending to D where they get effect 3 treatment before being fed back to the original input. It is a highly versatile live mixer. I don't believe (or see the point of) AB3 reimplementing all of this. But a basic mixer in AB3 would be nice.

Hosting multiple instances is technically only possible if the hosted app is an AU.

AB3 and AUM will happily co-exist.

• @bleep said:
    No, that would not make AB3 on par with AUM. With AUM, you can send 60 % of the signal to mix bus B before effect 1 and 30 % to mix bus C after effect 2, with B and C both sending to D where they get effect 3 treatment before being fed back to the original input. It is a highly versatile live mixer. I don't believe (or see the point of) AB3 reimplementing all of this. But a basic mixer in AB3 would be nice.

Hosting multiple instances is technically only possible if the hosted app is an AU.

At the moment you can buy MiMix (AB 2 mixer) for a few bucks

• @bleep said:
    No, that would not make AB3 on par with AUM. With AUM, you can send 60 % of the signal to mix bus B before effect 1 and 30 % to mix bus C after effect 2, with B and C both sending to D where they get effect 3 treatment before being fed back to the original input. It is a highly versatile live mixer. I don't believe (or see the point of) AB3 reimplementing all of this. But a basic mixer in AB3 would be nice.

Not to mention that you can use MIDI to automate the channels in AUM for volume, mute, recording, playing, panning, bus send levels, and more. MiMiX can provide some of these functions but not to the degree AUM can. I agree AUM and Audiobus 3 will happily co-exist and at times improve upon the strengths of each.

• edited March 2017

@InfoCheck said:

@bleep said:

Not to mention that you can use MIDI to automate the channels in AUM for volume, mute, recording, playing, panning, bus send levels, and more. MiMiX can provide some of these functions but not to the degree AUM can. I agree AUM and Audiobus 3 will happily co-exist and at times improve upon the strengths of each.

I hope that there will be some competition between AB3 and AUM on the features side. A build in midi sequencer for example would be nice in AUM.