Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT - Akai Tom Cat Samples

@brambos @gonecrazy3000

Had a few spare moments...

This link goes to a zip file of samples from my Akai Tom Cat drum machine. Recorded direct to my iPad via a Behriger UCA222. Each sample was trimmed and normalized in the Caustic wave editor but no other processing was done. Also included is a short loop of the samples and a Caustic project with 2 Beatboxes containing all samples. Everyone is welcome to them. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x4cnadniyghrtw/Tom Cat Samples.zip?dl=0

Comments

• Super cool of you @anickt thanks for sharing - x

• Thank you @anickt! Fantastic!

• Great, that's super kind of you! Those are going straight into my Volca Sample.

Thanks, @anickt !

• In case anyone is interested, I've resampled them to 32KHz for my Volca Sample and added them to today's new Volca Sample collection...

They are 94 dry samples I gathered from around the net [all copyright free/public domain as far as I could tell], trimmed + resampled to Mono 32KHz from contemporary (i.e. non vintage) drum machines in a single zip-file:

• Arturia Drumbrute (DB_)
    • Vermona DRM1 mk3 (DRM_)
    • Teenage Engineering PO-12 Rhythm (PO12_)
    • MFB Tanzbaer (TB_)
    • AKAI Tom Cat, kindly provided by @anickt (TC_)
    • Roland TR-505 (tr505_)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0aar49uy34cmii/BB_Volca_Sample_Collection.zip?dl=0

Have fun!

B)

• I used to have a pair of Korg KPR-77 drum machines (analogue on the sound side), of which the snare (and most of the other instruments) were widely derided as crap. The snare was said to resemble shaking a box of matches, and yes, that is pretty much what you got out of it. I didn't actually use the things for sound, I used them as s-trig triggers, a pair for each machine, to trig the MS-10/20/SQ-10 stack, and it was driven from a KMS-30 sync box from din sync from the CSQ-600. So, if you want more crap sounds, look for a KPR-77 set.

• edited March 2017

The only drum machine sound I ever truly thought was crap is the factory snare on the Volca Beats. With much burning of plastic and fingers I managed to mod it to be useful.

Any other drum machine sounds I've used all have "character". ;)

PS - thanks for the samples @brambos

• Thanks both anickt and brambos!

• edited March 2017

Grazie gentlemen.

• Thanks to @anickt and @brambos ! I've been meaning to pull out my Volca Sample and load it with some different stuff - these look great! I have slots 65-90 loaded with a variety of pitched samples - I have them all set to middle "C" and then a dorky chart on the back reminding me how to get to different notes from -24 to +24 semitones. However, I got the Volca Kick last year, which is pretty decent at pitched sub bass notes, so I might reassign the Sample as a Swiss Army Knife drum machine. These samples will help!

Yes, that snare on the Volca Beats is pretty lame. May look into trying the mod someday, but I'd need a more precise soldering iron.

• Additional tip - if you like Volcas and haven't checked out Tony Horgan's YouTube channel or website, it's worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyOAwO3axBOM1NjQtz8AzCA

http://tonyhorgan53.wixsite.com/korgvolcaexpert

He has some cheap guides you can buy for iOS (basically more accessible and detailed instruction manuals) for several Volcas, and the website has some oddball sample downloads (free), like Apollo 11 sounds and so on.

I first saw him when he was out at NAMM last year doing crazy demos with 5 Volcas all synced up together. I'm not really an "electronic music" fan, per se, but I found it pretty inspiring what he was able to do with a bunch of battery-powered so-called "toys". These things have massive power under the hood for this price point.

• Many Thanks @brambos