Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps that represent the uniqueness of the ios platform

In other words, the expressivity afforded by touchscreen.

I guess there are so many apps. For me the game changer came with Thumbjam. Since then, apps like glitchbreaks enabled further live,expressivity and creativity.

Recently We have KRFT of course and apps like Strom and Girosynth by beep street could have been great too.

There are now so many synths and daw/sequencer apps but they dont do Anything different from desktop. For me, true joy in iOS music fun can be had with the more expressive apps.

What say you? What apps express ios potential for you?

Comments

• edited March 2017

I agree with all those mentioned. Also, TC-11 and GeoShred.

• Geoshred is pretty much it, the Moog apps are next best and almost as awesome.

• There have been a few threads here in this vein, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but...

SoundPrism apps, Orphion, Gestrument, TC-11/TC-Data, iKaossilator, Figure, Samplr, Impaktor, Borderlands Granular, Olympia Noise Co. apps like Patterning, Chordion, and Ondes.

Obviously, just the portability factor alone is huge for many.

• edited March 2017

Animoog was the game changer for me for a long time.
    These days any MPE controller could give you that for desktop as well but there are still some unique multi-touch apps iOS exclusive.
    But these days i don't see any platform unique.
    Just some developers made some unique things :#
    Great that we can combine all that easy these days too.

• For one:
    IFretless Guitar - you can play things on it that would impossible on a (real) guitar.

• I think one of the apps that could be a real game changer in this respect could be the Wilsonic app if the added MIDI out functionality so that the scales could be played from the interface in Wilsonic itself as they don't lend themselves to the traditional western keyboard and benefit from a touch screen interface where you can see the relationships between the tones in the scale.

• TC-11, TC-Data & Samplr.

• and his big brother Shoom!

• edited March 2017

The above mentioned and
    Thumbjam
    Impaktor
    WaveGenerator
    SynthQ
    SynthX
    Sector
    AUM
    Audiobus
    WerkBench
    Curtis
    Triqtraq

• iKaossilator, TC-11, Animoog, iKaossilator, Soundprism and other cool chord apps, TC-Data, iKaossilator.

• edited March 2017

All the Holdernessmedia FX
    FluXpad
    Flux:fx

• SpringSound. Probably Rotor.

• TubeSynth
    Photophore Synth
    Ondes
    ChipPad
    cascadr
    Pixelwave
    SpectrumGen
    Beat Wave
    RgbSound pro
    Nodebeat
    Improvox
    Musaico
    LoopTwister
    Tachyon
    pyka_loop
    Loopy
    Orphion
    Elllipsynth
    Droneo
    rrarrow
    Yellofier
    Protein Der Klang
    Different Drummer
    Synthmate
    Vio
    Conform
    Voicebot
    Shapesynth
    Field
    Waverails
    Everyday looper
    Pyxis Minor

• Some already mentioned:
    SAMPLR
    Patterning
    TC11
    Fingerfiddle
    Orphium
    Earhoof
    Analogkit
    Audulus
    Thumbjam/Drumjam
    Bebot
    Fluxpad

• Star Trek Vulcan harp by Shiverware..came out in December 2013 and looks to me like it's never received an update. It's a beautiful app though with really good sounds and a unique string interaction. It would be a shame if this app disappears after ios11

• @InfoCheck said:
    I think one of the apps that could be a real game changer in this respect could be the Wilsonic app if the added MIDI out functionality so that the scales could be played from the interface in Wilsonic itself as they don't lend themselves to the traditional western keyboard and benefit from a touch screen interface where you can see the relationships between the tones in the scale.

It is not what you wish for, but have you tried exporting the scales to Scale Gen? You end up with a wonky MIDI keyboard, but you can play on the ScaleGen touch screen as well.

• The Animoog keyboard is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking "Only on a touchscreen". I know there are keyboard controllers & instruments utilizing moving, fluid legato movements & even pressure sensitivity (like the ROLI Seaboard & Linnstrument), but iPad has been getting better and an app likec Animoog has history and a reputation. Now with pressure sensitivity on the horizon, the iPad is still going to be a state of the art interface for musicians & instruments.

Animoog is so expressive and far out, but there's a lot of synth apps that use X/Y pads for effects & modulation to varying degrees. I just think touchscreen is a natural fit for recording & performing.

• edited March 2017

Animoog. TC-11. Thumbjam. Model 15. Shoom. Earhoof. TF7. Sector. SoundScaper. iGhuzheng. D550. Notion. Flux:FX. iFretless*. Drumjam. Impaktor. Auria Pro. Gestrument. SoundPrism. Navichord.

Oh - and...

Audiobus :smile:

• edited March 2017

I forget the most expressive to play app from all (for me at least). It´s the Roli Seaboard 5D (the old version of the Noize app). If that had midi out and there would be an iPad with 3D touch it would be an outstanding midi controller as well. But even on my iPhone 6S plus it is awesome and it has a feature i miss on most other iOS apps (ThumbJam and NLog can do it too f.e.)
    I can hold a chord or note and then switch octave without it retriggers the note(s) i hold. So i can switch several octaves and play new notes while holding the first chord still. I use that often on my 2 octave Seaboard and when i use my macbook keys as midi input (for some tools it is the best choice indeed).
    But yes, i think there is nothing more expressive than this app. A shame they don´t do a full Equator synth for iOS as well. While velocity and velocity release is not very good on touch screens, the polyphonic aftertouch works perfect, sometimes i like it even more than on my Seaboard Rise.
    And ThumbJam is still one of the greatest thing ever for iOS. I use it also often as midi controller to drive my plug-ins.

• @oat_phipps said:

@InfoCheck said:
    I think one of the apps that could be a real game changer in this respect could be the Wilsonic app if the added MIDI out functionality so that the scales could be played from the interface in Wilsonic itself as they don't lend themselves to the traditional western keyboard and benefit from a touch screen interface where you can see the relationships between the tones in the scale.

It is not what you wish for, but have you tried exporting the scales to Scale Gen? You end up with a wonky MIDI keyboard, but you can play on the ScaleGen touch screen as well.

Yes, I've used the scala export files with several apps including ScaleGen and Gestrument. With many of the scales you need to be sure to reduce the number of tones in the scale to be practical. ThumbJam is another app you use with scala files and lends itself to a higher number of tones.

• Definitely iSpark

• Animoog rightly deserves its praise for the touchscreen capabilities of its keyboard. But it's not the only. Alchemy (v1) and Addictive (v1) have had similar "off the board" keyboard modulation possibilities for years. The most excellent Shoom has already been mentioned. A few others that come to mind:

M3000 ... Everything I could ask for from a vintage Mellotron, including the original tapes, for a fraction of the price and definitely a fraction of the weight.

Auria ... Everything I could ask for in a DAW, in my mobile tablet. Add the Fabfilter plugs, at a fraction of desktop prices and AU support = Desktop who?

DrumPerfect Pro ... the level of granular control for trap kit composition would literally take twice as long if I had to use a mouse. Touching and feeling the beats is magical.

Honorable mention for MusicStudio. So quick to throw together a symphonic composition with a pretty good (not quite Gadget level, but still) piano roll. At the very least, great for compositional sketching on the go, and at its best, something you can use in a finished recording.

Finally - Gadget. With the impending Mac OS release, does anyone really feel like adding mouse clicks to the process will be better than the current iOS user experience? I'll admit, I'm skeptical. The immediacy of touch shines throughout Gadget.

• Wow, good app suggestions !

What about the Brian eno apps? Bloom, scape and trope? Shame the developer keeps them locked..the generative apps could be highly useful...

Dopplerpad( I know..retronyms right) was pretty cool when it first came out too

Lots of love for animoog..especially when they first released it for pennies lol

And TC11 is a good one too

• All of above......and thicket

• Borderlands and a lot more.