Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Music Memos app alternatives (compatible with Audiobus)

Hi, This week I was testing an Apple app called "music memos" and I really liked the automatic drums feature, creating quite interesting dynamics. Someone knows some other app in this line, but that is compatible with Audiobus, sync midi, play background, etc??
Thanks

Comments

• Band creator. Not quite as automagic as music memos, but then nothing is:

http://bandcreatorapp.com

Also the drummer in music memos is based on the GarageBand drummer, which can automatically add fills etc, if you haven't already checked that out.

• @richardyot said:
    Band creator. Not quite as automagic as music memos, but then nothing is:

http://bandcreatorapp.com

Also the drummer in music memos is based on the GarageBand drummer, which can automatically add fills etc, if you haven't already checked that out.

Ok, @richardyot
    I downloaded the free version but did not detect the sound very well. :-/

• edited February 2017

You can import your guitar track into GarageBand, or just record straight into GarageBand and then add a drummer track to it. If you toggle the "follow" switch the drummer will follow the tempo and rhythm of the guitar part just like in Music Memos.

Sadly I don't think there is a way to add the automatic bass in GB though.

• Of course you can also start from a drummer track if you want a steady tempo. It's up to you.

• edited December 2020

This thread is a few years’ old, but it is suddenly quite timely now that Apple is shutting down Music Memos. I had suspected Apple might get rid of Music Memos since it has had almost no updates in the last few years, but it was still a real disappointment to learn that they are pulling it.

Any Music Memos users still out there? What will you be switching to? Just Press Record is pretty cool though it lacks some of the cool music-specific features of Music Memos. In fact, are there any other recording apps out there that tell you the chords being played in an audio recording?

Ideally I would use AudioShare but without iCloud integration, it takes much longer to save/sync my recordings everywhere in AudioShare than in Music Memos.

• @LeftyChris - The app should still be available for you to use. It’s only new users who can’t download it anymore, and support for it will stop.

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    @LeftyChris - The app should still be available for you to use. It’s only new users who can’t download it anymore, and support for it will stop.

Thanks, I didn’t realize that. I guess it means I just won’t update my iPad next year, since probably Music Memos won’t work on iOS 15.

• edited January 2021

@LeftyChris said:

@seonnthaproducer said:
    @LeftyChris - The app should still be available for you to use. It’s only new users who can’t download it anymore, and support for it will stop.

Thanks, I didn’t realize that. I guess it means I just won’t update my iPad next year, since probably Music Memos won’t work on iOS 15.

Or just wait until Music Memos gets added as a module inside GarageBand where it belongs naturally :smiley:

• @MobileMusic said:

@LeftyChris said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

Or just wait until Music Memos gets added as a module inside GarageBand :smiley:

Ah! You’re probably right. At least I didn’t pay an arm and a leg for Music Memos. Your comment reminded me of when Apple bought Alchemy and all of us Camel Audio users were suddenly using abandonware.

• @LeftyChris said:

@MobileMusic said:

@LeftyChris said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

Or just wait until Music Memos gets added as a module inside GarageBand :smiley:

Ah! You’re probably right. At least I didn’t pay an arm and a leg for Music Memos. Your comment reminded me of when Apple bought Alchemy and all of us Camel Audio users were suddenly using abandonware.

Apple is not going to ditch Music Memos that is being used by millions of users everyday

• @MobileMusic said:

@LeftyChris said:

@MobileMusic said:

@LeftyChris said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

Apple is not going to ditch Music Memos that is being used by millions of users everyday

Apple IS ditching MM for sure. Too lazy at the moment to find the link for you but if you look around you will see what everyone is talking about. Apple is telling people to use Voice Memos instead.

• @MobileMusic said:

Music Memos has reached EOL and will be removed from the Appstore.

Apple has most likely taken a very close look at the statistics of Music Memos and which features are used the most and come to the conclusion that most just use it to record audio end export to other apps and if GarageBand is one of the most used destinations it makes more sense to add those features directly into GarageBand.

Time will tell what happens...

• @yowza said:

@MobileMusic said:

@LeftyChris said:

@MobileMusic said:

@LeftyChris said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

Apple IS ditching MM for sure. Too lazy at the moment to find the link for you but if you look around you will see what everyone is talking about. Apple is telling people to use Voice Memos instead.

I’m aware of that :smile:
    I hinted Apple may add MM to GB as a module

• @Samu said:

@MobileMusic said:

Music Memos has reached EOL and will be removed from the Appstore.

Apple has most likely taken a very close look at the statistics of Music Memos and which features are used the most and come to the conclusion that most just use it to record audio end export to other apps and if GarageBand is one of the most used destinations it makes more sense to add those features directly into GarageBand.

Time will tell what happens...

That makes sense - and in fact, that is how I use it too, record audio and export to other apps. I also really like the chord identification feature, but primarily that’s because it makes it easy for me to see which key a given song idea is in, in case I forget.

• They should add MM to GB as a module - it is where it belongs naturally - at least GB users would use it. GB doesn't have automatic Bass Guitarist module (like Drummer) and at least for the sake of Bass inside MM, they should add it to GB. They added the Drummer inside MM but they did not add Bass Guitarist inside GB. I'll create a ticket on Apple with the suggestion to add MM to GB or at least add Bass Guitarist to GB.

• @MobileMusic said:
    They should add MM to GB as a module - it is where it belongs naturally - at least GB users would use it. GB doesn't have automatic Bass Guitarist module (like Drummer) and at least for the sake of Bass inside MM, they should add it to GB. They added the Drummer inside MM but they did not add Bass Guitarist inside GB. I'll create a ticket on Apple with the suggestion to add MM to GB or at least add Bass Guitarist to GB.

Created ticket # 8960271 on Apple.
    "Add Music Memos or Bass Guitarist to GarageBand"

• @MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:
    They should add MM to GB as a module - it is where it belongs naturally - at least GB users would use it. GB doesn't have automatic Bass Guitarist module (like Drummer) and at least for the sake of Bass inside MM, they should add it to GB. They added the Drummer inside MM but they did not add Bass Guitarist inside GB. I'll create a ticket on Apple with the suggestion to add MM to GB or at least add Bass Guitarist to GB.

Sent as well. For those who would like to send a feedback for Garageband for iOS, here's the direct link.
    https://www.apple.com/feedback/garageband-ios-ipados.html

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

Sent as well. For those who would like to send a feedback for Garageband for iOS, here's the direct link.

Thanks to everybody for doing this. I’ll do it too. I don’t use GarageBand (I mostly use Audio Evolution) but if Apple added Music Memos functionality to it, I would.

I’m curious, how many of you have used Music Memos regularly? I use it to record every musical idea I have, so I’m on it almost every day.

• @LeftyChris said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

Thanks to everybody for doing this. I’ll do it too. I don’t use GarageBand (I mostly use Audio Evolution) but if Apple added Music Memos functionality to it, I would.

I’m curious, how many of you have used Music Memos regularly? I use it to record every musical idea I have, so I’m on it almost every day.

I'll be honest here...I used it in my first few months of iOS production but found it more effective to just directly record in Garageband. But that was because it didn't synchronize my saves back then, so when I "did things I wasn't supposed to do with it", it started acting up and I had to reinstall it. Sadly, lost a bit of work.

That said, I'm hoping they add a lot of the excellent features from it.
    1. Automatic Tempo detection,
    2. Smart Bassist,
    3. Detecting key and chords
    4. and instantly sending a recording to Garageband
    5. Guitar Tuner

Those are a few of the things I used it for, and still use it.

• @LeftyChris said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

I use it a lot.

Apple should not abandon it entirely. There is no loss if they just add it to GB - It will add more muscle to GB. It has invaluable tempo, time signature and chord detections and bass guitarist which GB lacks.

• edited January 2021

@MobileMusic said:

@LeftyChris said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

I use it a lot.

Apple should not abandon it entirely. There is no loss if they just add it to GB - It will add more muscle to GB. It has invaluable tempo, time signature and chord detections and bass guitarist which GB lacks.

It has been so long since I’ve used GarageBand that I kind of just assumed that it would have those features by now. Hopefully they will add them to GarageBand as you’re saying.

I love the chord detection and time signature features in Music Memos. Very useful.

• edited January 2021

@seonnthaproducer said:

@LeftyChris said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

I'll be honest here...I used it in my first few months of iOS production but found it more effective to just directly record in Garageband. But that was because it didn't synchronize my saves back then, so when I "did things I wasn't supposed to do with it", it started acting up and I had to reinstall it. Sadly, lost a bit of work.

That said, I'm hoping they add a lot of the excellent features from it.
    1. Automatic Tempo detection,
    2. Smart Bassist,
    3. Detecting key and chords
    4. and instantly sending a recording to Garageband
    5. Guitar Tuner

Those are a few of the things I used it for, and still use it.

I didn’t realize Music Memos initially lacked iCloud syncing. iCloud sync is one of the reasons I like Music Memos so much.

It is actually surprisingly difficult to find good iOS recording apps that have iCloud sync. Izotope’s Spire, which I otherwise really like, does not have it, and as I may have already mentioned, AudioShare doesn’t have it either. Spire and AudioShare are both great but it’s so much easier to have everything automatically synced and up to date with Music Memos.

Also, as far as I know, no iOS DAW has iCloud sync/backup (aside from GarageBand, of course). I like the way Audio Evolution enables optional cloud syncing with Dropbox and Google Drive, though.

I should add that Davy Wentzler, the developer of Audio Evolution, will probably eventually add iCloud integration to AE. He is extremely attentive to user suggestions and preferences. One of the coolest developers out there, in fact.