Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How Big is Too Big....???

Hey guys....We, at Gospel Musicians are gearing up to release the new Neo-Soul Keys® Studio for iPad. This will be a completely different and new platform and not a part of the old Neo-Soul Keys. We think it will be absolutely the best electric piano library ever made for a mobile device.

Here is what we are asking: We can probably keep this version 100% the same as the desktop, but the download size will be between 5GB-7GB. If you want the size to be smaller, then it will compromise on the sound. The original desktop version is 20GB, but using CAF lossless, we can get it down to about 7GB. There is absolutely no way to get it lower.

Would you rather have a 7GB library with full velocity and sample layers, or a 2GB library, with stripped down samples. No way to have it all. You have to sacrifice on samples.....

I'm curious to know!

What filesize Options to you prefer
  1. I prefer the following:60 votes
    1. Keep the filesize and quality high. I don't mind the filesize!
      78.33%
    2. Space is precious! Please keep it to 2-3GB
      21.67%
    3. I could live with 5GB, but nothing more
        0.00%

Comments

• I am on a 16GB iPad Mini 2, both sizes are too rich for me.....what about being able to selectively install a particular soundset ? That way you could have a choice not only of which format High or reduced quality, but also be able to pick an individual instrument if you wanted too.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I am on a 16GB iPad Mini 2, both sizes are too rich for me.....what about being able to selectively install a particular soundset ? That way you could have a choice not only of which format High or reduced quality, but also be able to pick an individual instrument if you wanted too.

It's not like the lower filesize will sound terrible. We can still make it sound amazing.

• 2GB.

But to satisfy all user you could implement the following way:
    After installation of the main app the user can decide which size of samples he prefers. Then the sample lib is loaded from server in this size.

• @GospelMusicians said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I am on a 16GB iPad Mini 2, both sizes are too rich for me.....what about being able to selectively install a particular soundset ? That way you could have a choice not only of which format High or reduced quality, but also be able to pick an individual instrument if you wanted too.

It's not like the lower filesize will sound terrible. We can still make it sound amazing.

I wasn't suggesting it would sound bad, just pointing out that a reduced number of instruments would allow those with limited space to still use the app along with those who are not limited by space.

Even as 2GB it would be too big for me, but If I could install just selected instruments it could work for me.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@GospelMusicians said:

@AndyPlankton said:

I wasn't suggesting it would sound bad, just pointing out that a reduced number of instruments would allow those with limited space to still use the app along with those who are not limited by space.

Even as 2GB it would be too big for me, but If I could install just selected instruments it could work for me.

Ahhh...I see! So the ability to load and unload different instruments to choose sizes. That makes sense! The problem with this method is the preset making method. You see if we make presets, then the presets will use the sounds. So it'll leave you with a ton of presets that may or may not work, because of the choice of sounds you choose.

• @GospelMusicians said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@GospelMusicians said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Ahhh...I see! So the ability to load and unload different instruments to choose sizes. That makes sense! The problem with this method is the preset making method. You see if we make presets, then the presets will use the sounds. So it'll leave you with a ton of presets that may or may not work, because of the choice of sounds you choose.

Yeah this happens in other apps with IAPS.....Tonestack for example has presets that are not available to you if you dont have the relevent IAPS, they show in the list but are greyed out and not accessible.
    Perhaps a preview of the presets, just a very short sound bite, and then users could still check out the preset to see if they want to install the relevent instruments ?

• As a fellow developer I can tell you that everything above 1 GB is going to make people with a 16GB iPad struggle. Since all your options are much more than that, I'd recommend just going for quality. You're only going to be reaching users with 32gb or more devices anyway. And for those there's probably only a difference between a 2GB and a 7 GB option. Looks like you're going for high quality with your app, so I think higher download sizes are good.

• @Sebastian said:
    As a fellow developer I can tell you that everything above 1 GB is going to make people with a 16GB iPad struggle. Since all your options are much more than that, I'd recommend just going for quality. You're only going to be reaching users with 32gb or more devices anyway. And for those there's probably only a difference between a 2GB and a 7 GB option. Looks like you're going for high quality with your app, so I think higher download sizes are good.

Sage advice.

• Great point @Sebastian If quality is high, then quality is High....We will still have the Neo-Soul Keys original version which is smaller. Great point!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Sebastian said:
    As a fellow developer I can tell you that everything above 1 GB is going to make people with a 16GB iPad struggle. Since all your options are much more than that, I'd recommend just going for quality. You're only going to be reaching users with 32gb or more devices anyway. And for those there's probably only a difference between a 2GB and a 7 GB option. Looks like you're going for high quality with your app, so I think higher download sizes are good.

Sage advice.

That's just being sizeist :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

^ What Andy said. I'd like the option to install separate instruments at full quality, and keep disk space free by not installing instruments I'm not going to use. I rarely find the need for a harpsichord, for example.

• I'd prefer a larger file size and no sacrifice to sound quality.

• I just voted for highest sound quality, thanks!

• I personally have a dedicated iPad for just sounds and playing live?

Are others that way?

• If it really sounds THAT good, then 7gb is no problem. However with such a huge file size, i think it would be nice if all the different piano models were a separate download(like free iap), and also ability to delete what you dont need from taking up disk space.

Or if the price would be really high, maybe include like 2 or 3 pianos for the regular price(and keep it low) and have the other pianos as a iap(or if there are a lot, maybe separate them to like 2 or more iap packs). This way more people can afford it and those people who want to whole thing can still get it and pay the full price.

• After hearing how much my Gadget mixes have improved with iWavestation, I vote for quality.

• edited February 2017

@GospelMusicians said:
    I personally have a dedicated iPad for just sounds and playing live?

Are others that way?

Used to go that route, had two iPads- 16 and 32gb. Went for a 128gb ipad pro, and I'm very very happy having it all on one. I voted for highest sound quality.

• As an owner/use/evangelist for the current NeoSoul collection I have to echo much of the above; if it's really capable of being so much better then give us the whole thing, not a halfway house. If (and it's a big IF at this point) I am going to have to buy it again, then I want the best you've got to offer, otherwise I may be of the opinion that you're simply upgrading it a bit, having me pay again (and your apps aren't the cheapest on the app store) with the unspoken possibility that you'll be coming back to the well sometime in the future again. I'm not being cynical here, just realistic as to the value process (or one unconscious take on it from a potential customer's viewpoint).

Finally, I really like NeoSoul keys, if your new 'version' is going to be significantly better you're going to have to prove that to my ears by producing some kind of demo that let's me hear the significant difference between what I've got and what you'll now be offering.

• edited February 2017

+1 to everything Johnny said. I downloaded Neo Keys last week after watching Dougs'video and was impressed but simultaneously caught wind that Crudebyte has an e- piano sound set coming in two weeks to Colossus piano. Pretty sure it will be awesome and they promise a very reasonable price$. So I held off buying any pianos in neo and now there's a newer app you're working on which is fantastic so......ya there's a lot of competition right now. I'm going to obviously hold off and see how things develop

• Love NeoSoul. To improve sound even more necessitates going big.

Most important, get the midi right. I seem to recall BASSalicious being promiscuous, and giving up on it.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Love NeoSoul. To improve sound even more necessitates going big.

Most important, get the midi right. I seem to recall BASSalicious being promiscuous, and giving up on it.

+1

• Quality absolutely!!! Does the decision affect whether or not it can also be available as AUv3?

• The current version is nowhere close to this version. For example:

• This version has about 90 EPs
    • 10 High quality Vintage Modeled Fx from the Overloud VKFX pack ported over to iOS
    • 40 Mechanical FX Choices

This version is an incredible version guys.....

• @AndyPlankton said:
    That's just being sizeist :D

Guilty as charged! ;)

• @GospelMusicians said:
    The current version is nowhere close to this version. For example:

• 10 High quality Vintage Modeled Fx from the Overloud VKFX pack ported over to iOS

Be careful not to trash the first wife in praise of the second while the rest of us are still married :)

• @GospelMusicians I also voted for the highest quality samples.

Sidenote: I would also LOVE to see an app just like this for acoustic piano - super high quality samples with the ability to bring in pedal/hammer/etc noise

• edited February 2017

7GB is even small for deeply sampled stuff....go for it until another one will do ;)
    There are enough "lite" versions on iOS.
    As we know there are already 14GB pianos available on iOS so if people doesn't appreciate those instruments they are not your market and there are enough instruments with less space for casual usage.
    32-64 velocity layers, release samples, pedal noises, chair noises etc. to go for me! :D

• @GospelMusicians said:

No AU? :'( :'(

• @realdavidai said:

@GospelMusicians said:

Who said no AU? Of course it'll be AUv3 ;)

• @GospelMusicians said:

@realdavidai said:

@GospelMusicians said:

Who said no AU? Of course it'll be AUv3 ;)

Whoa. That's all I needed to hear to make 2017 a resounding success!!!