Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Human whistle?

Any apps that do this well?
Thanks

Comments

• You could use the microphone....?

• @PhilW said:
    You could use the microphone....?

Haha, yeah I suppose. I'm not a great whistler though and I will be singing back up vocals and my pipes

• *whoops lost part of my last comment

Haha, yeah I suppose. I'm not a great whistler though and I will be singing back up vocals and my pipes aren't strong enough for both! :)

• edited January 2017

@mptrin said:

*whoops lost part of my last comment

Haha, yeah I suppose. I'm not a great whistler though and I will be singing back up vocals and my pipes aren't strong enough for both! :)

I think he meant that you could sample it with something, pitch it correctly and play with keys/sequence midi. You could use ivoxel for example, as it can pitch a single sample over keys, and you can pitch the sample to match a certain note if you cant whistle in tune. Also you can sequence and play with midi keyboard. There are other apps that can do it as well, but i dont think any have all these things as neatly packaged

• @ToMess said:

@mptrin said:

*whoops lost part of my last comment

I think he meant that you could sample it with something, pitch it correctly and play with keys/sequence midi. You could use ivoxel for example, as it can pitch a single sample over keys, and you can pitch the sample to match a certain note if you cant whistle in tune. Also you can sequence and play with midi keyboard. There are other apps that can do it as well, but i dont think any have all these things as neatly packaged

Ah! Thanks, I will check out ivoxel.

• If you need a human whistler, I have actually performed whistling, and would be happy to lay down a track for my name in the credits.

• Also, there are a few tricks to shining up your source whistling recording, all obvious, and mostly what you would do with vocals. Reverb, eq, doubling, chorus, etc.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    If you need a human whistler, I have actually performed whistling, and would be happy to lay down a track for my name in the credits.

Thanks @johnfromberkeley! It's for live performance though, so I hope you're ready for the whistle tour! I've recorded my own whistle into GB sampler, not quite there yet but I will try some effects/editing as you've suggested, thanks :o

• I have always been fond of Isa Tomita and his synth recreations of a lip whistle.
    SynthMaster has a very good interpretation of the that sound. May not be what you are after though. Tomita Lip Whistle from Historic Synth Giants Vol 4.

• Yes, that's a great synthesized whistle!

• I know the question relates to an app, but if it's something of a necessity and you care to step out of iOS land at all, there's this:

http://realitone.com/realiwhistle/

Watch the video - it's actually pretty cool! :smile:

• @mptrin said:
    It's for live performance though, so I hope you're ready for the whistle tour!

I need cities and dates first. Thanks!

• edited January 2017

A whistle is very close to a sine wave, if you whistle in a mic and look at it on a oscilloscope. There's kind of a blast of air when it starts and some residual breath, which you could use the white noise for. Add a little pitch and volume instability and some reverb and it is a fair synthetic whistle.

Not sure if it will get you into Andy Griffith territory, though. Probably need some legato, some variable amounts and speeds and randomness of vibrato.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    If you need a human whistler, I have actually performed whistling, and would be happy to lay down a track for my name in the credits.

Make the world a little multi sample set?

@Processaurus makes a great point. If your whistle fu is week (as mine is) you can probably get pretty far by doubling your own sample with a sine wave.

That basic notion of 'initial transient sample' + regular synth oscillator is what made the Roland D-50 and Korg M1 so powerful. I don't own iM1 but I'd be willing to bet there is a whistle or seven included.

• In ThumbJam you can download a whistle instrument.

• IM1 - T1 presets, No99 - Whistler.
    There are also a couple in Sound Canvas but didn't sound as good.

• Thanks all for the thorough recommendations, there are so many apps out there that it gets overwhelming! I actually went with /Moderndaycompiler's recommendation of SynthMaster Tomita Lip Whistle. I found that decreasing the vibrato and tweaking some effects got me close to what I was trying to achieve, and SynthMaster happens to be a pretty neat app in general.

• @mptrin said:
    Thanks all for the thorough recommendations, there are so many apps out there that it gets overwhelming! I actually went with /Moderndaycompiler's recommendation of SynthMaster Tomita Lip Whistle. I found that decreasing the vibrato and tweaking some effects got me close to what I was trying to achieve, and SynthMaster happens to be a pretty neat app in general.

:smile:

• @InfoCheck said:
    In ThumbJam you can download a whistle instrument.

That isn't a human whistle, it's a low D Irish-style whistle.

Getting a realistic human whistle right is less about the raw sound and more about the performance technique, I think.

• Moderndaycompiler, got a question for you if you're still checking on this thread or anyone else for that matter: I modified the Tomita Lip Whistle in SynthMaster and the tone is great but I've discovered the pitch is off (flat). I've tried changing the master tuning in menu but that didn't help. I thought maybe it was a result of some oscillator but didn't see any options to change settings. Any idea if there is a way to fine tune the pitch?