Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need a tip for avoiding latency on live input audio signals (DAW)

yeah,sorry for the rough title :)

I want to buy a multichannel audio interface to plug my synth/drummachine directly to it and add FX in Auria before i record the stuff etc.But even with a buffer of 128 there is a noticeable latency that doesn't work well with stuff that needs to be tight (i.e. drum machines).Do you know a way to"delay"only the (ipad internal) playback signal (in auria) or any other tips for me?

It's been a while since i worked with"bigger"daws (Logic/Cubase) on a desktop etc but i'm quite sure they have this kind of latency compensation,right?

Comments

• edited January 2017

well,i figured that its really not a big deal to delay the internal audio/midi tracks a little.And later (after recording) shift them back again.Sorry for the dumb question,i haven't done that before.Always used a mixer between and added Fx later (or outboard)

edit:okay...but then it's a bit difficult to record midi notes into the sequencer.Or not possible to use plugins that has an own sequencer.

• edited January 2017

Are you recoding audio using hardware synths and sequencers? I think the best solution is to monitor directly through your audio interface while recording, since live FX during recording introduces considerable amounts of latency, and there is no way for any DAW (including Pro Tools, Logic or Auria) to compensate for it in real time - they all do for playback, when they can process the effects and add latency compensation before summing it to the mix. Happens all the time when recording live with hardware, and can be quite frustrating if you don't now what to do. Of course, when monitoring through the interface, no FX from Auria will be added, and that's the idea.

tl,dr: use your audio interface to monitor the dry recording signal.

• @theconnactic said:
    Are you recoding audio using hardware synths and sequencers? I think the best solution is to monitor directly through your audio interface while recording, since live FX during recording introduces considerable amounts of latency, and there is no way for any DAW (including Pro Tools, Logic or Auria) to compensate for it in real time - they all do for playback, when they can process the effects and add latency compensation before summing it to the mix. Happens all the time when recording live with hardware, and can be quite frustrating if you don't now what to do. Of course, when monitoring through the interface, no FX from Auria will be added, and that's the idea.

tl,dr: use your audio interface to monitor the dry recording signal.

yep,i meant recording outboard equipment like synths etc.And yes,i can use the direct monitoring but like you said....without all the beautiful internal FX then.Anyway,i think it's not too bad to shift/delay the internal tracks a little if i'm in the mood for Auria FX on my Synths.It's rare anyway that i use plugins that come with own internal sequencer.Thanks for your reply.

• well, I disagree - there's absolutely no latency problem with IOS effects used live, I use it constantly with a 256 byte buffer, which results in a 10ms roundtrip.
    So there must be something else in your setup that spoils the party.
    Auria may have a special latency compensation (for the whole mix) as some plugins may need larger buffers (I don't have it myself).
    But fx on Audiobus or Multitrack DAW never caused any additional delay.

• +1 for direct monitoring

I find a little latency is workable when using a keyboard with software monitoring, but even at 256 it's way too much for percussive performances. I use a Nord Drum 2 + Nord Pad, and my solution for live situations and tracking with effects is to use dedicated FX hardware in combination with hardware monitoring. Even dedicated digital hardware FX will have some latency but it's often much more workable, e.g. one H9 and it's all good, two and you can hear very slight latency but it's still very playable.

• edited January 2017

@Telefunky said:
    well, I disagree - there's absolutely no latency problem with IOS effects used live, I use it constantly with a 256 byte buffer, which results in a 10ms roundtrip.
    So there must be something else in your setup that spoils the party.
    Auria may have a special latency compensation (for the whole mix) as some plugins may need larger buffers (I don't have it myself).
    But fx on Audiobus or Multitrack DAW never caused any additional delay.

The latency is quite low but i sync my Electribe and Monologue and for this purposeit's too much.I tried it with buffer down to 128 and while its ok to play keyboard or even some finger drumming it's definitely not tight enough for quantized and syncronized machine rythms.

I even don't use midi on these machines,i feed them with an audioclick on a seperate output of the interface.In this case the sync is absolutely tight,much better than midi.

But i found another workaround.Instead of delaying all audio tracks in Auria,i preshift the audioclick track a little into the other direction.That works very well.After recording i need to trim the new files a bit but that is quickly done in Auria.