Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MobMuPlat: You get down?

Kind of shocked more people are not into this.

Regardless of skill level.

I suck personally at this stuff but I'm learning and there are plenty of cool free fun things to do.

What say you?

Comments

• I think the biggest issue for me is that you have to create the GUI on a computer rather than your iOS device. It's been awhile since I've done this. It's not too difficult to add a GUI to PD Vanilla patches that others have created. If there was a way to do this all on an iPad, I'd be do this much more often.

• Would be really cool if someone could do an overview of PD... I mean, I'm guessing it's useful for developers? But it seems (kinda like OSC) to be pushed toward end-users. My question - what does it do that us end-users need? What can I do w/ it that I can't do elsewhere? What's the benefit/feature set etc?

• @Ocsprey said:
    Would be really cool if someone could do an overview of PD... I mean, I'm guessing it's useful for developers? But it seems (kinda like OSC) to be pushed toward end-users. My question - what does it do that us end-users need? What can I do w/ it that I can't do elsewhere? What's the benefit/feature set etc?

Pd is a sort of programming language for music. You can download it for free on a PC and there are tutorials on how to use it. There are some iOS apps that were created with Pd. You can create synths, filters, and do MIDI processing and use OSC as well. Like MIDI it can also be used for non-music multimedia applications as well. If you do a web search of Pure Data, you'll find all sorts of additional information.

What's the benefit for end users? Given a sufficient investment of time and knowledge, you can create pretty much anything you want with it. There are also a number of libraries that people have created which you can include in your patches (not for MobMuPlat though).

• @InfoCheck said:

@Ocsprey said:
    Would be really cool if someone could do an overview of PD... I mean, I'm guessing it's useful for developers? But it seems (kinda like OSC) to be pushed toward end-users. My question - what does it do that us end-users need? What can I do w/ it that I can't do elsewhere? What's the benefit/feature set etc?

Pd is a sort of programming language for music. You can download it for free on a PC and there are tutorials on how to use it. There are some iOS apps that were created with Pd. You can create synths, filters, and do MIDI processing and use OSC as well. Like MIDI it can also be used for non-music multimedia applications as well. If you do a web search of Pure Data, you'll find all sorts of additional information.

What's the benefit for end users? Given a sufficient investment of time and knowledge, you can create pretty much anything you want with it. There are also a number of libraries that people have created which you can include in your patches (not for MobMuPlat though).

Thanks, I get most of this - I know games and apps are developed w/ it - I was working with Elastic Drums this morn and there's a shout out in the documentation to the person who helped w/ the PD, and I remember being intrigued by possibly using PD in Zmors Modular, as well as the article a month ago or so on CDM by P. Kirn about PD Party, and some recent New York City PD get together. I guess I'm just unclear still the use-value, or even how it could benefit a particular workflow over the other tools and languages out there - I'm not down on it or anything, just looking for a hook that might get me interested... learning curve looks steep to me!

• @Ocsprey said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Ocsprey said:

Thanks, I get most of this - I know games and apps are developed w/ it - I was working with Elastic Drums this morn and there's a shout out in the documentation to the person who helped w/ the PD, and I remember being intrigued by possibly using PD in Zmors Modular, as well as the article a month ago or so on CDM by P. Kirn about PD Party, and some recent New York City PD get together. I guess I'm just unclear still the use-value, or even how it could benefit a particular workflow over the other tools and languages out there - I'm not down on it or anything, just looking for a hook that might get me interested... learning curve looks steep to me!

If looking at the info about Pd doesn't draw you in, then it's probably not for you. The advantage it has over some other languages is that there are a lot of people who use it, it's free, well documented, on all sorts of operating systems where the same code will continue to work, people are always making new libraries to extend its capabilities, and it should be around for the foreseeable future.

I think it's easier to learn than almost all other programming languages so if it seems like too steep a learning curve and programming isn't your thing, then I'd give it a pass.

• One of my fav apps.

• I've done quite a few patches. Have an ongoing looping patch I have been working on for the better part of a couple years. Haven't uploaded it anywhere but here is some stuff I've made:

• I code enough at work, my musical exploits try to avoid the low level stuff as much as possible.

I appreciate PD (and have dabbled in the past) but hooking a Lemur template up is about as deep as I want to go when not paying the bills.

@otem_rellik said:
    I've done quite a few patches. Have an ongoing looping patch I have been working on for the better part of a couple years. Haven't uploaded it anywhere but here is some stuff I've made:

That's some good work there! The MultiFX graphics put a smile on my face.

• @InfoCheck said:

@Ocsprey said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Ocsprey said:

If looking at the info about Pd doesn't draw you in, then it's probably not for you. The advantage it has over some other languages is that there are a lot of people who use it, it's free, well documented, on all sorts of operating systems where the same code will continue to work, people are always making new libraries to extend its capabilities, and it should be around for the foreseeable future.

I think it's easier to learn than almost all other programming languages so if it seems like too steep a learning curve and programming isn't your thing, then I'd give it a pass.

What I'm getting at is the Prosumer/End-User perspective - trying to figure out the value proposition there. I cut my programming teeth on assembly language, and mostly worked with Lisp and Verilog/Vhdl - which would probably be considered 'harder' compared to say Max/Osc/PD, but that's all relative, and those are similarly cross-platform, or even Juce. Like I mentioned above, I'm wondering what the PD 'hook' is - if you want to develop an app, ok, but that's not really the hook for an end-user. Libraries - ok, which are unique/provide a functionality otherwise not available etc? I've toyed w/ MobMuPlat and PD Party - but I don't read much, or see much in the way of libraries/patches discussed/utilized by producers. If I were new to programming, I'd probably start with C, which many devs revert to after learning Swift or something, working backwards down the stack. I'm retired now from tech work, and am focused more on use-value/functionality - and am genuinely curious how PD might be valuable to learn from that side.

• edited January 2017

@Ocsprey said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Ocsprey said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Ocsprey said:

What I'm getting at is the Prosumer/End-User perspective - trying to figure out the value proposition there. I cut my programming teeth on assembly language, and mostly worked with Lisp and Verilog/Vhdl - which would probably be considered 'harder' compared to say Max/Osc/PD, but that's all relative, and those are similarly cross-platform, or even Juce. Like I mentioned above, I'm wondering what the PD 'hook' is - if you want to develop an app, ok, but that's not really the hook for an end-user. Libraries - ok, which are unique/provide a functionality otherwise not available etc? I've toyed w/ MobMuPlat and PD Party - but I don't read much, or see much in the way of libraries/patches discussed/utilized by producers. If I were new to programming, I'd probably start with C, which many devs revert to after learning Swift or something, working backwards down the stack. I'm retired now from tech work, and am focused more on use-value/functionality - and am genuinely curious how PD might be valuable to learn from that side.

I think Max, Csound, and Super Collider are the closest to Pd in that they're created specifically for use with music creation. If there's some sort of functionality, synth or sequencer or combination of the above or work flow you like to do but there isn't software that can do it, you can roll your own. The options currently for Pd on iOS are much more limited versus other OS options as they support just basic Pd functionality versus other libraries available on other platforms. This forum probably isn't the best place to get info about the possibilities of Pd. Here's the agenda for last year's PdCon to give you some ideas about what people are doing with Pd.

• edited January 2017

I think Max, Csound, and Super Collider are the closest to Pd in that they're created specifically for use with music creation. If there's some sort of functionality, synth or sequencer or combination of the above or work flow you like to do but there isn't software that can do it, you can roll your own. The options currently for Pd on iOS are much more limited versus other OS options as they support just basic Pd functionality versus other libraries available on other platforms. This forum probably isn't the best place to get info about the possibilities of Pd. Here's the agenda for last year's PdCon to give you some ideas about what people are doing with Pd.

Thanks! I will read that soon, appreciate it! Always on the hunt for a fix to a problem I didn't know I had. You know, like audiobus compatible, or AuV3... never heard of them a year ago, now I gotta have 'em.

• It's great app, use it a lot for midi mapping. Maybe most of you are advanced users ,but here are my tips:

• Use samples ,instead of milliseconds for crucial timings ( midi sequencers)
    • Use arrays or the text objects to store values and then you can write them on the disk. You can recall them anytime aka making presets.

And don't start a project dealing with large sysex midi, cause currently the app is not optimized yet .

• @Ocsprey said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Ocsprey said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Ocsprey said:

The obvious benefit is that you can make simple custom apps on Android or iOS with MobMuPlat. No need to compile or do coding. The downside is you depend to the development status of MobMuPlat.

• I've never really got on with PureData because I hate the interface. I think a big part of why I like Audulus (which can do less), is that it's way prettier to look at.

@j_liljedahl used to be a huge SuperCollider hacker. Don't know if he still is (he doesn't seem to be active on the mailing list anymore).

• I still haven't but I always mean to. Folks around here (and elsewhere) have cooked up amazing things with it.

• @InfoCheck said:

@Ocsprey said:

^ Nailed it. Puredata (et al) aren't necessarily aimed at the average user of music software. It's more like shortcut to creating music software for those so inclined. Sure, you could use JUCE (or assembler!) but, for some users/use cases anyway, why deal with all of that compiling overhead when there are tools like PD with zero compile time and all of the musical building blocks in place from the get go? Lots of reasons, of course, but for lots of folks, those reasons don't matter. PD fills that spot. Plus, graphical environments can be handy! :) Plus plus, contrary to other higher level tools with similar building blocks like Reaktor or Audulus, PD patches can be distributed and opened on pretty much any platform for free.

• @cian said:
    I've never really got on with PureData because I hate the interface. I think a big part of why I like Audulus (which can do less), is that it's way prettier to look at.

@j_liljedahl used to be a huge SuperCollider hacker. Don't know if he still is (he doesn't seem to be active on the mailing list anymore).

I'm definitely a big fan of Audulus as it really uses the visual programming aspect of how it works so that you can see how things flow through the patches. After awhile, working in Audulus can really start to click in your mind (kind of like learning an instrument to the point where you don't have to think through everything while you're playing). The users and Mark on the Audulus forum are super helpful and knowledgeable. You can create all of your patches on your iOS device with no need for a computer or a separate step for creating a GUI or patch on a PC for it, plus there are a lot of modules and tutorial resources.

Even if Audulus should go away at some point, the experience of using it has definitely given me more insight into how to process and control audio which can translate to other uses.

It will be great when the planned MIDI out is finally finished for Audulus as you'll be able to easily create all sorts of sequencers for your non-Audulus synths

For Pd on iOS there are relatively few patches people have done and posted so MobMuPlat is more useful for people who are willing to do text based tutorials and manuals on a PC and then create a GUI for their Pd patches to use on iOS. In my experience, even a modest amount of familiarity with Pd can allow you to modify and incorporate patches other people have created into your own GUI.

• @CDM said about MobMuPlat:
    (Hilariously, the setup instructions also include “learn Pd.” But before that scares you, there are some great free guides to get you started. See below, for review.)

The article talks about MobMuPlat and has some tutorial links.

• @infocheck enjoyed those words - made me want to check out Audulus. I share that take on PD - and on the CDM article - tutorials, No patches! I was looking around tonight. I have the MobMuPlat Editor, and did the build for Pd-extended which is just $ brew cask install pd-extended. I got excited when I found some good-sounding patches at this Pure Data Patch Repository - but one-by-one as I clicked through, there were incomplete/alphas or otherwise jacked up. But I'll probably jump back in and look around some more. I get the feeling the GUI is designed for those aloof from vanity, or showering.

• edited January 2017

@Ocsprey said:
    @infocheck enjoyed those words - made me want to check out Audulus. I share that take on PD - and on the CDM article - tutorials, No patches! I was looking around tonight. I have the MobMuPlat Editor, and did the build for Pd-extended which is just $ brew cask install pd-extended. I got excited when I found some good-sounding patches at this Pure Data Patch Repository - but one-by-one as I clicked through, there were incomplete/alphas or otherwise jacked up. But I'll probably jump back in and look around some more. I get the feeling the GUI is designed for those aloof from vanity, or showering.

Search for Martin Brinkman, he has some interesting Pd patches that will work with MobMuPlat. If you load them into MobMuPlat without creating a MobMuPlat GUI for them first, many of them will play but you won't really be able to see what's going on. You have to select show all files and select the main .pd file for the patch.

• Someone was making an iOS patch controller/editor for the Novation Circuit (there currently isn't one).

(... I would love to know progress on this :))

That's a good example of what it could be used for.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    I code enough at work, my musical exploits try to avoid the low level stuff as much as possible.

I appreciate PD (and have dabbled in the past) but hooking a Lemur template up is about as deep as I want to go when not paying the bills.

Likewise

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Someone was making an iOS patch controller/editor for the Novation Circuit (there currently isn't one).

Me, but currently there is no way since there is a serious bug receiving sysex. (And as an idiot I found out that ,after making the 85% of the editor....)
    Some days ago when you heard a loud scream it wasn't your imagination, it was me . Now I bump my head to different materials on a very beautiful, rhythmically way.....

• @Ocsprey said:
    @infocheck enjoyed those words - made me want to check out Audulus. I share that take on PD - and on the CDM article - tutorials, No patches! I was looking around tonight. I have the MobMuPlat Editor, and did the build for Pd-extended which is just $ brew cask install pd-extended. I got excited when I found some good-sounding patches at this Pure Data Patch Repository - but one-by-one as I clicked through, there were incomplete/alphas or otherwise jacked up. But I'll probably jump back in and look around some more. I get the feeling the GUI is designed for those aloof from vanity, or showering.

More that's it's very old. There are apparently plans to update the GUI and the screenshots look promising. But there's something about sketching things out in Audulus on my iPad that can't be beat.

• For PureData this is a good tutorial on Digital Signal Processing:
    msp.ucsd.edu/techniques.htm

• @otem_rellik said:
    I've done quite a few patches. Have an ongoing looping patch I have been working on for the better part of a couple years. Haven't uploaded it anywhere but here is some stuff I've made:

No shit you are on here.

Love your patches!

• @cian said:
    For PureData this is a good tutorial on Digital Signal Processing:
    msp.ucsd.edu/techniques.htm

@Korakios said:
    And for beginners these videos are very helpful
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL12DC9A161D8DC5DC&v=rtgGol-I4gA

THanks for the info for the thread.

• @Korakios said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Someone was making an iOS patch controller/editor for the Novation Circuit (there currently isn't one).

Me, but currently there is no way since there is a serious bug receiving sysex. (And as an idiot I found out that ,after making the 85% of the editor....)
    Some days ago when you heard a loud scream it wasn't your imagination, it was me . Now I bump my head to different materials on a very beautiful, rhythmically way.....

Oh no. Massive bummer. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will get fixed soon!

• @Korakios, I was also thinking of using it to create a Sysex editor for my Korg Z1, what is the serious bug you mention.