Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any "Success Stories" Among Us?

I'm relatively new to the forum, and just curious if there are any "success stories" among us? Clearly, that's a very subjective term, but I guess I'm referring to general commercial success. Things like being paid for one's music, having one's music appear in a tv show/film, producing music for major artists, etc.

I know many of you produce professional quality music certainly worthy of this type of success, so I'm hoping there are many such stories. Let's hear 'em, don't be modest!

Comments

• edited January 2017

Does this count for anything? (There's more, lol)

• edited January 2017

@Telstar5 said:

Is that you? (The rapper I mean, I'm fairly certain you're not Steve Harvey)

• @AnalogCortex said:
    I'm relatively new to the forum, and just curious if there are any "success stories" among us? Clearly, that's a very subjective term, but I guess I'm referring to general commercial success. Things like being paid for one's music, having one's music appear in a tv show/film, producing music for major artists, etc.

I know many of you produce professional quality music certainly worthy of this type of success, so I'm hoping there are many such stories. Let's hear 'em, don't be modest!

I sold 6 copies of my ep and made $40 from my recent release on Bandcamp. All 100% iOS. I was in a band and recorded an ep back in the mid 90s and we sold our cassette. I think I made more money from my bandcamp release. So that's a success for me!

• @Telstar5 said:

That counts! Let's see the "more".
    Nice job.

• I have collaborations and tracks that are streaming around 115,000 times a quarter total, turns into maybe $65 when publishers take a cut, that I then have to split with the vocalists. Also have bits and pieces being used on tv shows (latest was some hispanic mtv show). Got another royalty payment today for a life changing $13.91.
    I did have some compilation appearances (including with coldcut) and a vinyl record in 90s. Had a record contract and an advance that paid for my first sampler.
    I also sell some sound fx for games etc on Unity asset store. All in all it just about keeps me in apps and ipads every few years. Self funding hobby.

• @Redo1 said:

@Telstar5 said:

That counts! Let's see the "more".
    Nice job.

Encore!

• @RedSkyLullaby I see your stuff all over the place with respect to iOS, it's too bad all of your work doesn't provide more income than a self funding hobby.

• edited January 2017

@InfoCheck said:
    @RedSkyLullaby I see your stuff all over the place with respect to iOS, it's too bad all of your work doesn't provide more income than a self funding hobby.

Thanks, even if was making zero I would still feel it was a sucess for me if it gives some value to me and my sanity maintenance. I can bet there are musicians out there making alot of money that are not happy and not enjoying the whole exeperience any more.
    Yeah i forgot having sounds and presets/samples in apps is something I am pleased about too

• edited January 2017

While not a commercial success, I got to use gadget at a 15,000 seat arena. Very fun getting to use iPad apps for a big production.

• nord makes for a sexy ipad stand. :)

• edited January 2017

@AnalogCortex : Lol, yeah the old white guy. I don't think Steve Harvey's much into "Geoshred".

• edited January 2017

Thanks guys! I have more on YouTube under "Telerant..An old Hawaiin Punch Commercial, Campbell's soup.. Some keyboard stuff, drum stuff, stand up comedy even.
    For you jazz heads this is a major album credit I have from WAY back in 1990. Red Rodney , the trumpet player here replaced Miles Davis in Charlie Parker's quintet. Chris Potter in his recording debut here is one of the highest regarded saxophonists of his generation.. Also the keyboard player here is the great (legendary , really) David Kikoski, and of course silly me with the rap again.

• I released an all iOS rock album last July that has sold about 40 copies worldwide! And I've got $0.77 in my CD Baby account from streaming. My streaming is really more of a slight ooze. I did sell enough to cover the distribution cost with a few extra dollars to boot.

• My single has over 283 million views on YouTube:

It's made my wife... Morgan Fairchild, very happy. Yeah... That's the ticket!

• @AudioGus said:
    nord makes for a sexy ipad stand. :)

Indeed!

• @Telstar5 said:

Holy shit! I can't believe "Something's gotta look right" didn't get a bigger laugh. Cracked me up.

• That's not Steve Harley.... oh, wait....

• I'm alive......success!

• edited January 2017

I was foolish enough to go into a career as a freelance musician immediately after graduating from my BA and have by now hit the point where I've been a freelance artist for long enough to be practically unemployable in any 'real' job.. so I persevere! I'm a session bassist so although it's not exactly success, it's a living playing on other people's albums. Here's an album I played fretless and upright bass on not too long ago:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/6mfRKYF17T8D37pc4s7jBL

I did release a song with a trad group a few years ago that did ok in Wales and also got us onto a nice big stage at WOMAD festival. Only track I've ever earned any respectable amount of royalties from.
    https://open.spotify.com/track/6LF5OVOB7daMOAi4D1ZlXo

The first session job that I used lots of iOS music sources for is being released in March too. It's a really good album! I'm planning to make a post about it when it's officially out.

• My success is having survived more than 50 years on this beautiful planet of money-and power-hungry beings, without losing ambition or ideals, all of this without ever being payed sufficiently for my endeavours in painting/music/writing. Incredible, if you think about it (and Idid have a handful of people giving me prognosis' of much worse outcome...). I'm thankful. Cheers, t

• I managed to go from being a hobby musician to now working full-time as a mastering engineer for roughly the last 10 years. Still manage to get the odd gigs now and then when I actually apply myself to seek them out, which is not as often as I should. I don't sell a lot of tracks these days, but with all the music I have for sale on various outlets and streaming, it's a nice surprise each quarter that I can add to the gear fund. I might not be a household name, but I feel successful having been able to work up to a point where I can make a living doing this every day.

• Every once in a while, my kids show a modicum of grace and selflessness when approaching other people in the world.

• Well, unless you get in with ad agencies, movies, etc, more money usually goes out than in. Sure there are exceptions but.... I had 5-6 songs in regular rotation on radio about 20 yrs ago but nothing much more. No real money. Had a song in a popular show in spain, etc. But the only real money i have seen has been from jingles, which i do from time to time, mostly through contacts from back when i worked in advertising.

• Why, is that what the goal is? ;)

• edited January 2017

When I was a kid, someone asked me what I wanted to do in life. I said that I wanted to have a studio where I could make weird noises all day. Well. I've achieved that ! I work full-time on multiple musical projects and have been doing so since 2003. When I was more involved in 'sound-art' , I've had commissions / shows in galleries etc.

My ambient material sells and has had a lot of airplay / exposure. The electronica side-project that I post some stuff here, financially is an abject failure - but that doesn't stop me from doing it, as it's something I learn quite a bit from it and I enjoy doing.

• I once ate a sugary jam doughnut without licking my lips.....my 10 year old certainly thought that was a success :)

• 2089 posts on the AB forum!

• Nothing iOS related but I make a good living by busking, it isn't a glamourous occupation by any stretch but I thank God that it's the best job I can possibly have compared to every other option available!

• @animal said:
    My success is having survived more than 50 years on this beautiful planet of money-and power-hungry beings, without losing ambition or ideals, all of this without ever being payed sufficiently for my endeavours in painting/music/writing. Incredible, if you think about it (and Idid have a handful of people giving me prognosis' of much worse outcome...). I'm thankful. Cheers, t

I LOVED this, totally feel you 100% @animal

Being born & raised in Las Vegas has afforded me some cool opportunities from live gigs to minor session work playing on demos & jingles. It was never lucrative but incredibly educational & fun.

I've done guitar teaching on & off for a long time. Actually where I met my wife, I was at a gig and one of the guys told her I did lessons. She wanted to learn some Beatles songs, I gave her a few lessons and somehow we've now been married for 18 years.

I've gotten so much from music. I mean it has literally saved my life many times, when in a depression and feeling like "fuck this", hearing a song, playing guitar and recording have all brought me back.

I will continue to do music in all it's shapes & forms, financial success or not. Like most here no doubt feel, I don't just WANT to do music, I NEED to do music.

Be cool...