Effectrix help?

Just bought effectrix. I want to use it with elastic drums. I've only got the apps to sync up once, to where I can hear effectrix. I have clock out enabled on elastic. I've tried running the apps in audio bus and out of audio bus. Is there still issues with effectrix seeing the clock out?

Like I said. Same settings that worked once, are refusing to work again. Any help please regarding settings within these 2 apps?

Comments

  • 18 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • Effectrix is fickle about midi clock, and ableton link is broken when using the app with audiobus. It can work though. I tried your setup, elastic drums into effectrix, and had problems, but it can work. I loaded effectrix into audiobus. I loaded elastic drums. I set elastic drums to send midi clock. I disabled ableton link (not sure if that was necessary). I then set effectrix to sync to midi clock,under ports, all that comes up is network and virtual input. I set virtual input to on, and midi clock sync. Now, i start elastic drums, and things get weird. Effectrix sees and matches the tempo of elastic drums, but won't start. I try it every which way and it won't start. Here's where it gets interesting: i eject elastic drums from audiobus, and effectrix will start when elastic drums starts. Then i can put elastic drums back in to audiobus and now it works.

    Welcome to the world of ios midi...

  • edited January 21 Vote Up0

    I think it may be as simple as effectrix needing to get launched last.

  • edited January 21 Vote Up0

    Both apps have Link. just use it. Turnado and Effectrix are amazing via Ableton Link. specially when paired with patterning or elastic drums.

  • edited January 21 Vote Up0

    @Processaurus said:
    I think it may be as simple as effectrix needing to get launched last.

    Yes, when first added I had issues, but testing now with elastic it seems OK

    • start Audiobus
    • start elastic in input slot, enable link and midi clock out
    • start effectrix in Audiobus effects slot
    • Start and stop from Audiobus panel
  • @Processaurus said:
    I think it may be as simple as effectrix needing to get launched last.

    Yes, there is that bug where fx apps stop working if they're not plugged in last. Turnado and AudioEffX have exactly the same problem. I often wonder whether it is Audiobus' or individual apps' problem.

  • Little bird told me Egoist is getting an update in Feb. Hopefully Effectrix get's a little love soon after.

  • @aaronpc said:
    Little bird told me Egoist is getting an update in Feb. Hopefully Effectrix get's a little love soon after.

    Yes, it's gonna get the long overdue link. Since Effectrix already has it might just be the end of updates.

  • edited January 21 Vote Up0

    @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Both apps have Link. just use it. Turnado and Effectrix are amazing via Ableton Link. specially when paired with patterning or elastic drums.

    In Effectrix, Link doesn't work with audiobus. Try it, it gets the tempo, but it won't start. The play button is greyed out, and the audiobus play button won't start it.

    The same setup, Elastic drums > Effectrix, with Link, works a treat in AUM.

  • edited January 21 Vote Up0

    @Processaurus said:

    @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Both apps have Link. just use it. Turnado and Effectrix are amazing via Ableton Link. specially when paired with patterning or elastic drums.

    In Effectrix, Link doesn't work with audiobus. Try it, it gets the tempo, but it won't start. The play button is greyed out, and the audiobus play button won't start it.

    That's normal for Effectrix. Did you actually press one of the keys on the onscreen keyboard ? It needs a midi input to activate the effects. It's working perfectly here.

    The sequence even stays perfectly in sync when you change tempo. Try it yourself. Load factory1->atmolooper. And press c3 on the onscreen keyboard. Change tempo while you do this, elastic drums will follow along without issue.

  • edited January 21 Vote Up0

    @Processaurus said:

    @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Both apps have Link. just use it. Turnado and Effectrix are amazing via Ableton Link. specially when paired with patterning or elastic drums.

    In Effectrix, Link doesn't work with audiobus. Try it, it gets the tempo, but it won't start. The play button is greyed out, and the audiobus play button won't start it.

    The same setup, Elastic drums > Effectrix, with Link, works a treat in AUM.

    Effectrix does work with AB, follow steps in my post a few back. You don't need to press start in effectrix, it will be driven by AB start stop panel.

  • @skoptic said:

    @Processaurus said:
    I think it may be as simple as effectrix needing to get launched last.

    Yes, when first added I had issues, but testing now with elastic it seems OK

    • start Audiobus
    • start elastic in input slot, enable link and midi clock out
    • start effectrix in Audiobus effects slot
    • Start and stop from Audiobus panel

    Thanks for this. Have always struggled (hit and miss), but you've clarified it for me and I have added your notes into my Big Book etc.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Thanks for this. Have always struggled (hit and miss), but you've clarified it for me and I have added your notes into my Big Book etc.

    Happy to help, it was always hit or miss for me too, but it seemed to work repeatedly for 2 test cases today.

    The other app was using patterning, the only workflow difference being you have to enable the midi clock out in patterning after effectrix is loaded (as in this setup it appears midi out should go direct to effectrix, whereas elastic seems to get away with network out)

  • The Devs are working on this. Adding on the Big Book a small note :
    Disable Link for Effectrix when inside Audiobus.
    Then make sure Effectrix gets midi clock as others already suggested. :)

  • edited January 22 Vote Up0

    Don't know how relevant this is in the Age of Link, but I remember Doug used to use SeekBeats Midiclock Out - for its relative stability - into apps like Effectrix to keep everything synced nicely, going through Audiobus from there ... here's a vid with SpaceVibe and Effectrix using SeekBeats as the Midiclock, setup starts around the 3:48 mark:

    https://youtu.be/ydWGYpi_cGI

  • @Korakios said:
    Disable Link for Effectrix when inside Audiobus.
    Then make sure Effectrix gets midi clock as others already suggested. :)

    I leave link on so I can use the Audiobus start / stop panel, but looking at tempo drift in effectrix when playing, yes I presume it is being driven by midi clock not link.

  • @skoptic said:

    @Korakios said:
    Disable Link for Effectrix when inside Audiobus.
    Then make sure Effectrix gets midi clock as others already suggested. :)

    I leave link on so I can use the Audiobus start / stop panel, but looking at tempo drift in effectrix when playing, yes I presume it is being driven by midi clock not link.

    Link gets broken the moment you switch to an other app (I send an email to the support a week ago and they are looking at this, maybe waiting for AB3) , and start stop is coming from the midi output of the other apps (which listen on AB transport)
    :)

  • edited February 8 Vote Up0

    I still can not get these apps to shake hands. Settings that work one time will not work the next. Let's say I use these in AB with elastic as an input slot and Effectrix as an effect slot.
    Open elastic 1st. And effectrix 2nd.

    From this point What are the exact midi settings for each app
    Link on or off?
    Elastic/Enable midi clock out
    Elastic other midi settings defaulted?

    Effectrix/midi settings tab/virtual input or network session 1?/active- enable or disable?/midi clock sync- enable or disable

    Please and thank you :smile:

    @skoptic @Korakios

  • @Jaymon said:
    Just bought effectrix. I want to use it with elastic drums. I've only got the apps to sync up once, to where I can hear effectrix. I have clock out enabled on elastic. I've tried running the apps in audio bus and out of audio bus. Is there still issues with effectrix seeing the clock out?

    Like I said. Same settings that worked once, are refusing to work again. Any help please regarding settings within these 2 apps?

    Do you have Genome?

    Set Virtual Midi to a channel and fill 1 bar with that note.

    Test out Effectrix and explore the sounds.

Sign In or Register to comment.