Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Chop and Screw with Auria Pro and/or AudioStretch?

I was listening to a podcast today about how the sound designer created the soundtrack for the movie Moonlight.

He said that he took inspiration from the hip-hop DJ technique called "chop and screw".

The way he explained what he did was to take a piano and violin piece, then slowed it way down to the extreme. He also layered the same recording with one offset a bit. I think he said for one piece he added some vinyl fx too.

From what I could tell, he was letting the pitch drop for effect as well. I was thinking of experimenting with this approach for some other sources using Auria Pro's time-stretching. But doesn't AP's time-streching only stretch a piece while not effecting the pitch? Or, can you let it distort the pitch too if you wish?

Alternatively, I was thinking AudioStretch might be better suited for this kind of thing? I've only got the LITE version of AudioStretch, but it looks like it may be all that's really needed for this. Thoughts?

Comments

• I wish Auria Pro or Cubasis would allow for simple 'tape style' speed change but yah the timestretching is mushy smooth and not appropriate for chopped and screwed. For this I use AUM and Egoist.

• Skip, you can use time stretch and pitch shift in tandem. Or export a given region you want to chop and screw as a sample to Lyra: by playing in different octaves you can have different speeds like an old tape, so you record the output and voilà. :)

• @AudioGus said:
    I wish Auria Pro or Cubasis would allow for simple 'tape style' speed change but yah the timestretching is mushy smooth and not appropriate for chopped and screwed. For this I use AUM and Egoist.

Thanks. Looks like I should've grabbed Egoist when it was in sale. Putting it on my watch list.

• @theconnactic said:
    Skip, you can use time stretch and pitch shift in tandem. Or export a given region you want to chop and screw as a sample to Lyra: by playing in different octaves you can have different speeds like an old tape, so you record the output and voilà. :)

I didn't know you could do that. Especially the sample to Lyra part. Thanks!

• @skiphunt said:

@theconnactic said:
    Skip, you can use time stretch and pitch shift in tandem. Or export a given region you want to chop and screw as a sample to Lyra: by playing in different octaves you can have different speeds like an old tape, so you record the output and voilà. :)

I didn't know you could do that. Especially the sample to Lyra part. Thanks!

Lyra would probably be your best bet as time stretch and pitchshift together adds a lot of smoothing.

• This will be kind of OT but, on a computer, the old-but-still-the-best-at-it for extreme stretch and pitch shift for creative use is paulstretch.