Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reslice + Troublemaker + Oscilab?

I was going to stay away from the forum while traveling, but couldn't help popping back in. ;)

If you're into photography, I'm posting somewhat regularly to my http://instagram.com/skiphunt these are all shot with consumer compacts with quicky iPad or iPhone edits via Instagram only.

I know I don't need any more apps at all, but a few have me intrigued. Was interested in AC Sabre and grabbed it on sale. For a non-musician like myself, this was a good find and with a little practice I think I can get some real use out of it.

Might grab just one more and put the other 2 on my wishlist. For a non-musician interested more in sound experimenting, mixed with vague melody and beat to give a little structure to the avant-garde weirdness. Which of these would be the best fit?

Troublemaker looks fun and I have Bram Bos' other 3 excellent apps.

Reslicer looks insanely fun, but I wonder if I'm covered in this area enough with Samplr, Strom, Blocs Wave, and to some extent the sample slicing in Dhalang MG.

Oscilab has been on my list a long time and it's on sale, but I wonder if a 2014 released app can still hold its own against some of the most recent app brilliance?

Anyone have all 3?

Comments

• Oscilab was recently updated, so there's life in the ol' gem yet. And it is a gem I heartily recommend. It definitely lends itself to non-classically trained musicians and musicos alike.

Eyeing the other two myself :wink:

• Oscilab is kinda different drummer on diazepam

• edited January 2017

I have two of them and Reslice in my wishlist. Troublemaker is instant gratification and sounds awesome (I love acid). I didn't run oscilab for months but I believe it's fun to tweak the waves. I don't like the sounds I get in there but it has midi out which is a plus. Last update was 2 days a go;-)Reslice looks very interesting, the arp is unique with multiple play-heads and with Link, IAA, Audiobus, AU and effects on board:-)

• edited January 2017

This is from my very first session in Oscilab (which, BTW, you can upload to Soundcloud or open in AudioShare, etc, straight from the app):

Drums were replaced, tracks isolated and exported, a little WOW filter applied in Auria, and it became the centerpiece to this:

• @eustressor said:
    This is from my very first session in Oscilab (which, BTW, you can upload to Soundcloud or open in AudioShare, etc, straight from the app):

Liking the cut of your jib. Haven't got Oscilab myself, yet. But now encouraged to take a longer look.

• Thanks for the advice all, and especially @eustressor for the project samples. I think if I can't resist another purchase right now, I might nab Oscilab now, and leave the other 2 on the wish list for now.

• @Nkersov said:
    Liking the cut of your jib. Haven't got Oscilab myself, yet. But now encouraged to take a longer look.

It's definitely worthy of consideration. I'm pretty sure Doug has a video from when it came out if you search on YouTube :sunglasses:

@skiphunt said:
    Thanks for the advice all, and especially @eustressor for the project samples. I think if I can't resist another purchase right now, I might nab Oscilab now, and leave the other 2 on the wish list for now.

You can't resist :wink:

• What makes reSlice special isn't that it's a sample slicer. It's the fact that it basically has a fugue machine level ARP built into it. And that every single Au instance still has the ARP.

You can pretty much create amazing textures in minutes. Also. The samples can be sliced extremely fast and unlike blocs each slice can have varied lengths. I'd have paid 20$ for this app. Getting it for <10 feels like theft.

• edited January 2017

I stumbled into this track using Oscilab. I honestly don't remember how I did it, other than just playing around until the parts came about. I then just did some live on-the-fly muting of certain parts.

A fun app!

• @Seangarland said:
    I stumbled into this track using Oscilab. I honestly don't remember how I did it, other than just playing around until the parts came about. I then just did some live on-the-fly muting of certain parts.

Wow. There's a certain Prince like funky quality to this one, which is meant as a compliment, @Seangarland.

• @Nkersov said:

@Seangarland said:

Wow. There's a certain Prince like funky quality to this one, which is meant as a compliment, @Seangarland.

Thanks. In hindsight it's a terribly repetitive song, but I think it shows that Oscilab isn't restricted to just EDM-type stuff.

There's some other good tracks highlighted in this app review: http://main.iosmars.com/2014/06/10/oscilab-tracks-new-tunes-from-ios-musicians-and-a-sneak-peak-at-whats-to-come/

• edited January 2017

@Seangarland said:

A fun app!

Agreed! I also smell the funk and can easily hear Mr. Nelson's groove falsetto sliding nicely into this track, as @Nkersov suggests. Nicely played - thanks for sharing!

The two main highlights in Oscilab for me are:

1. Discovery - this is not an app where you open it up and play a planned riff. You play around, explore, rinse, wash and repeat. That's the fun angle for me :smile:
    2. Unique - you can quickly achieve sounds with Oscilab you simply wouldn't easily find anywhere else. Plus automated effects? Geddouddaheah :+1:

PS - Still fighting off ReSlicer's repeated, plaintive cry - "Buy! Buy! You know you want to!"

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Oscilab is kinda different drummer on diazepam

I thought I was the only person to make the DD LINK.

Now, as far as the benzos................yeah, why not its 429 am here.

:-)

• I have all three and like them all but if I had to pick one it would be ReSlice.

Maybe it's just the 'latest fancy thing' bias but I am getting so much fun out of this AND the fact it's effectively on sale tips it over.

Troublemaker is great for getting 'that' sound as well as others and the sequencer is ace. Oscilab is great for driving other synths (built in sounds less appealing for me) and generally wacky sequences.

But running ReSlice in multiple instances in a host with the arps going nuts really can't be beat for my tastes.

As I have been evangelising across YouTube, blogs and anyone that will listen to gibbering moron. :)

• @Seangarland said:

A fun app!

Excellent! Shows very nice range.

• @eustressor said:

@Seangarland said:

A fun app!

Agreed! I also smell the funk and can easily hear Mr. Nelson's groove falsetto sliding nicely into this track, as @Nkersov suggests. Nicely played - thanks for sharing!

The two main highlights in Oscilab for me are:

1. Discovery - this is not an app where you open it up and play a planned riff. You play around, explore, rinse, wash and repeat. That's the fun angle for me :smile:
    2. Unique - you can quickly achieve sounds with Oscilab you simply wouldn't easily find anywhere else. Plus automated effects? Geddouddaheah :+1:

PS - Still fighting off ReSlicer's repeated, plaintive cry - "Buy! Buy! You know you want to!"

Bought Oscilab and messed around a bit. Love it!!! Don't know why I held off so long. Especially for controlling external synths. I'm a little extra price conscious at the moment as I'm traveling, so the lower price point helped push me in the Oscilab direction.

I'll save Toublemaker and Reslicer for some other rainy day. Hopefully a nice sale somewhere further down the trail. :)

Right out of the gate I was getting some stuff I liked. Fairly intuitive interface and didn't need to read anything before getting started.

You say there's automated effects?!?! Where?

• For each track in Oscilab you can set the MIDI channel and CC for the parameters it sends out.

• My bad, I confused the ability to create "orbits" on the XY page with true automation. :blush:

• edited January 2017

Watched a few vids, and could not resist. Unless the Buddhists are right, we only live once. So to hell with the price increases, I pushed buy anyway.

First dabble, and my instant impression is that this is a seriously fun app. I can see it getting integrated into my workflow - well, another project.

I'm not the biggest fan of electronic music. But blimey, after no more than ten minutes with this driving three other synths, what I had, with minimal effort, was sounding like Gary Numan on a good day! What might be done when I've had a bit of time to learn the ins and outs of it is an enticing thought.