Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus UI related question/poll

Hi,

We've discussed internally if we can get rid of the gesture that allows you to swipe a whole audio pipeline off the screen.

It'd be nice if you'd vote in the attached poll so we can decide better.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Poll
  1. How many of you use the 'swipe off the screen' gesture in Audiobus to get rid of a pipeline?64 votes
    1. I use it and I absolutely need it in my workflow.
      14.06%
    2. I use it, but I wouldn't mind if it were gone.
      43.75%
    3. I don't use it, I just eject apps one by one.
      23.44%
    4. I didn't know there was such a gesture.
      18.75%

Comments

• edited January 2017

Use it wouldn't mind if gone
    If I delete a line there is usually just 1 instrument sitting in it,
    If I have more stuff collected in a line I seam to know what I want already.

Are u asking if someone is using more complex lines live deletes them and builds new ones on the fly?
    Interesting, but to crazy for me, I would forget what to do next ...
    Thinking longer about it
    I sometimes use stuff with 3 or 4 lines delete one to mute it and then I reload the preset again to go back to the full mounty- assuming ab3 has a mixer this is obsolete to me.
    @syrupcore @supadom say something (these are the other freaks, we usually agree)

• No, I love that gesture :smile:
    Well I have to let go it seems...

• edited January 2017

@o_imseng said:
    No, I love that gesture :smile:

For anything new & exotic I didn't think of?
    LOL oh you are under nda i guess
    Damned I have a lust for midi schnick schnack already.

@sebastian
    Hm, why get rid of that if you don't want to use it for something else ???
    Tec reasons ok, just to simplify no.

• Something that disruptive could do with a guard maybe? Swipe left often exposes a delete button in red rather than going straight for it.

• edited January 2017

I do use it but I've definitely made catastrophic mis-swipes with it. Wouldn't lose sleep if it was jettisoned

• If the swipe was jettisoned, would there be some other way to eject an empty pipeline?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    If the swipe was jettisoned, would there be some other way to eject an empty pipeline?

We would automatically close it. Unless it was the last.

• @lala said:

@o_imseng said:

@sebastian

Users could accidentally swipe it because we have three main tabs in audiobus 3.

• edited January 2017

@Sebastian said:

@lala said:

@o_imseng said:

@sebastian

Users could accidentally swipe it because we have three main tabs in audiobus 3.

Hm, I Never swiped it if I didn't want to.
    Maybe a preference setting
    or a button to lock lines for hectic situations ?
    Swipe to delete is such a well known guesture on iOS, feels like home äh came from apple.

• A confirmation button appearing to avoid catastrophic mistake seems a good compromise.

• So if I've got a piano into a daw, and a bass synth into the daw, and after I record the piano and bass line I decide to re-record the piano, how would AB know when I decided I was done with an input? (Some of us might open two lines so we can go quickly from piano to bass for example)

• @lala said:
    Maybe a preference setting

I like this idea.

• edited January 2017

@Sebastian said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    If the swipe was jettisoned, would there be some other way to eject an empty pipeline?

I'd add this to the poll description. It's pretty vague.

I'm presuming you mean "When the last app was ejected from a pipeline, we would automatically close it. Unless it was the last". Which should help with some of concerns above.

• Instead of a preference setting, would be cool and audiobussy if users who want them could save a state with empty lanes.

• @syrupcore said:
    Instead of a preference setting, would be cool and audiobussy if users who want them could save a state with empty lanes.

Like an empty template?

• @Sebastian said:

@syrupcore said:
    Instead of a preference setting, would be cool and audiobussy if users who want them could save a state with empty lanes.

Like an empty template?

Yep. I'm only speculating on use cases for those who voted "I use it and I absolutely need it in my workflow."

• Why not have a 'Lock' toggle?

• edited January 2017

@syrupcore said:

@Sebastian said:

@syrupcore said:

Like an empty template?

Yep. I'm only speculating on use cases for those who voted "I use it and I absolutely need it in my workflow."

I scratching my head about this workflow but other than the on the fly setup thing my mind is blank. That's why I said talk and not just vote.
    (Meaning load 3 lines play them delete 2 create 2 different new ones and so on ...)

• I definitely like the ability to delete lines, so long as there's a way to still do this a change would be okay.

• In any case, I would see that into 3.1 since I can't wait any longer!!

• @Sebastian said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

That sounds like a better UX. I wish AUM had something similar for empty insert slots.

• @lala said:

@syrupcore said:

@Sebastian said:

@syrupcore said:

Like an empty template?

I scratching my head about this workflow but other than the on the fly setup thing my mind is blank. That's why I said talk and not just vote.

Right. I guess I'm thinking if the lane were to disappear it's only a single (+) button press to get a blank lane back. If that's too much for some hectic live situation, having a template with a bunch of empty tracks would likely solve for it.

• edited January 2017

Hm, actually I use this more than I thought when I voted. :(
    So I don't care about the gesture as long as there is a single action equivalent I guess.
    Isn't ab3 supposed to not be such a drag with opening and closing apps?
    Don't kill features, please.
    How often do I need to touch on the screen to get rid of 3 Lines with 8 apps?
    3 swipes are very nice to have
    Don't fuck it up in the last moment.

• @lala said:
    Hm, actually I use this more than I thought when I voted. :(
    So I don't care about the gesture as long as there is a single action equivalent I guess.
    Isn't ab3 supposed to not be such a drag with opening and closing apps?
    Don't kill features, please.
    3 swipes are very nice to have
    Don't fuck it up in the last moment.

Relax! Trust in Sebastian!

• edited January 2017

I am relaxed. I'm just reminding about goals to achieve.
    @Sebastian It's not obvious if you are thinking about killing the gesture or killing the function.
    The function seems to be quite popular
    50 percent use it...

• @lala said:
    3 swipes are very nice to have .

How real is 3 swipes though? If I'm clearing 8 apps, I'm also going to the background task manger and doing a lot more swiping.

If it's a reconfiguration of apps, which honestly seems fairly corner casey, that sounds like a good time to use saved states.

If it's for a full reset... If AB3 can indeed initiate a close of loaded apps, I really hope there's a single "reset session" button that closes everything and sets AB to blank (or, better, some user default).

Either way, interested to see how tab switching gestures could interfere with this one.

• edited January 2017

@syrupcore said:

@lala said:
    3 swipes are very nice to have .

How real is 3 swipes though? If I'm clearing 8 apps, ** I'm also going to the background task manger and doing a lot more swiping. **

Ab3 is going to take care of that afaik
    Or did I misunderstand that part?
    Im not in the beta so I don't really know what's going on and I am talking into the blue
    I just reinterpret what Sebastian says.
    So afaik it would really be just 3 swipes now :)
    And a mixer for volume fades and mutes
    so that on the fly workflow would only be half as crazy as it is now, me thinks.
    It would be a real workflow and not captain chaos flying the UFO :)

Sebastian Said something like we can open and close apps
    unsure if this includes quitting apps
    or if he was talking about the tab these 300 items to load the patch orgy (this is gone)

• @Jocphone said:
    Something that disruptive could do with a guard maybe? Swipe left often exposes a delete button in red rather than going straight for it.

I answered 1. This ^^^ however :+1: since I have sometimes accidentally deleted whole pipeline by accident

• @MusicInclusive said:

@Jocphone said:
    Something that disruptive could do with a guard maybe? Swipe left often exposes a delete button in red rather than going straight for it.

I answered 1. This ^^^ however :+1: since I have sometimes accidentally deleted whole pipeline by accident

This seems to be a common interaction/gesture on IOS and works well once understood.