Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LPD8 as cheap foot controller?

I just on a whim grabbed an Akai LPD8 to use as a foot controller for Quantiloop and Loopy. I usually plaY barefoot so smashing a pad with my big toe should be no problem.

Has anybody else around here gotten footsy with a non-foot controller of any kind? I looked at the FCB1010 but im really trying to keep my rig in my one large Slappa backpack (except for my mic stands and guitar) and that fcb is behemoth. And i also thought about blueboard but reviews on the app store are pretty shite.

Comments

• I haven't but it's a sturdy little doodad. I've seen folks make foot controllers out of computer keyboards by removing most of the keys.

• @syrupcore said:
    I haven't but it's a sturdy little doodad. I've seen folks make foot controllers out of computer keyboards by removing most of the keys.

That i would love to see!

• @Gaia.Tree said:

@syrupcore said:
    I haven't but it's a sturdy little doodad. I've seen folks make foot controllers out of computer keyboards by removing most of the keys.

I have one, it works remarkably well. A bit like this guy:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EGr3lvBtMV0

I since got a Fender Mustang Floor Effects board so I use the considerably sturdier footswitches and expression pedal on this now. Definitely not backpack material though!

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

@syrupcore said:

I have one, it works remarkably well. A bit like this guy:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EGr3lvBtMV0

I since got a Fender Mustang Floor Effects board so I use the considerably sturdier footswitches and expression pedal on this now. Definitely not backpack material though!

That is so great! Im gonna have to find an old keyboard and make me one of those

• edited January 2017

I did exactly this with a Nanopad.......I also used some of these and some doublesided tape to raise the pads and make them more findable with the feet. If you can turn velocity sensitivity off or tweak it so that you don't need as firm a press to activate the pad.

the downside is that you don't get the re-assuring 'Click' feeling or sound....

I also used a iRig Blueboard...that suffers from the same problem of not having the click...but has the upside of allowing use of an expression pedal.

I have just this xmas gotten one of these (Line 6 FBV express)...is solid and works really well, I am using it a Line 6 Amplifi TT and have not tried it as a pure midi controller, but it is capable of being one. (£84...not much more than the blueboard)

• edited January 2017

You might try to hack an ION iCade:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/12751/semi-ot-diy-bluetooth-foot-controller#latest

I throw my foot controller in a backpack with a bunch of other stuff.

• edited January 2017

I had them all (I think). I almost bought Roland FC300 on eBay a minute ago but it is just as big as FCB so I dissuaded myself even if the price is super low.

Anyway. I'd recommend either

Rolls/RFX midibuddy

or

Roland FC-50

Roland has the edge on battery front and switches seem better

Rolls has more switches but Roland can be expanded by adding 2 sustain pedals that will sent CC messages when connected so I'd say Roland is a clear winner.

They both should easily fit into a backpack. I think lpd8 is a nice idea but there is a reason why it isn't called a foot controller ;)

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Has anybody else around here gotten footsy with a non-foot controller of any kind?

I made a wireless Bluetooth controller from a cheap wireless keyboard, 8 buttons! Will take pics later.

• edited January 2017

>

This one gets my vote as coolest DIY pedalboard, it's wireless too

• The switches on the LPD8 seem to be too close together to work well as a foot controller. I'd be double triggering all the time.

I'm currently using a Line6 fbv shortboard MKii. You can find them for less than $100, they have 13 rugged switches that can be individually programmed, as well as an expression pedal with another switch allowing it to be programmed for 2 different CCs. USB powered, and built like a tank. I especially appreciate that each switch can be defined for its own CC, Midi channel, and momentary/latch state. While a little large, it's still much more compact than an FCB1010 and should fit in a backpack - dimensions are around 18x8x2 in. The FBV express, shown above, is a great option if you only need 4 switches.

I've found the KMI SoftStep to be the most portable and programmable, though don't like the soft switches. Also have a BlueBoard, which works well though has soft switches, as well, and the Positive Grid BT4, though feel the switches have too much resistance and are latch only (deal breaker for me). While expensive, the Looptimus pedal is small, programmable and durable.

Whatever you get, validate whether you need momentary or latching switches.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    I just on a whim grabbed an Akai LPD8 to use as a foot controller for Quantiloop and Loopy. I usually plaY barefoot so smashing a pad with my big toe should be no problem.

Has anybody else around here gotten footsy with a non-foot controller of any kind? I looked at the FCB1010 but im really trying to keep my rig in my one large Slappa backpack (except for my mic stands and guitar) and that fcb is behemoth. And i also thought about blueboard but reviews on the app store are pretty shite.

Hi Gaia,

The blueboard actually works quite well with Quantiloop. Since there last firmware upgrade (see the quantiloop FAQ) it does support momentary action and does NOT require the blueboard app.
    The only drawback I think is the limited set of buttons.

Regards
    Stephan

• Well i was just bashing on my lpd8 with my bare feet/ big toe and i feel confident this will work for my needs. Ill get around to makin a video someday soon

• edited January 2017

I had modded nanopad mk1 and lpd8 in the past to add extra control and so. Also managed to add a midi out to an old Roland fc-100 mk2.
    I haven't problems to bulky setups since I'm building my own bass footpedal for arranging with midiband/xmure and I'm considering attach the fc-100 to make my own Pk5 with extra row for looping purposes...

http://c1.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/PK-5-5c8f172005dbb4ff86c4788d378ee5e2.jpg

Some inspiration:
    https://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/korg-nanokey-controller-repurposed-into-midi-foot-pedal/

Said that, if I need to go "flexible" the I will take something like lpd8 and make a some sort of xmas light but with floor switches instead lights :V

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIzMVgxNjAw/z/mowAAOSwqxdTrAZS/$_35.JPG

I was doing some test in the past in similar custom pedal (with old macbook broke charger as housing for switch) so I think it could be nice and beautiful over a carpet. ;)

If you need some technical guide about iron soldering or so, just ask.

• Thanks for the tips! I am going to see how this setup works out for me, my backpack is officially full and the lpd8 judt slid right into the last available space!

• Well see how it holds up under the pressures of gigging and travelling, and if it will behave in the way i need it to.

• That pads/feet Andy mention would be good for at least the back row to help with mis steps. Think I would get 12: one level for the front row, two for the back.

• Thats a great idea, if i want it to be pulling double duty as a hand controller as well maybe i can leave em or take em on and off

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I did exactly this with a Nanopad.......I also used some of these and some doublesided tape to raise the pads and make them more findable with the feet. If you can turn velocity sensitivity off or tweak it so that you don't need as firm a press to activate the pad.

the downside is that you don't get the re-assuring 'Click' feeling or sound....

I also used a iRig Blueboard...that suffers from the same problem of not having the click...but has the upside of allowing use of an expression pedal.

I have just this xmas gotten one of these (Line 6 FBV express)...is solid and works really well, I am using it a Line 6 Amplifi TT and have not tried it as a pure midi controller, but it is capable of being one. (£84...not much more than the blueboard)

Old thread but Thought about getting the Blueboard but then I thought about the FBV Express. Seems to be bus powered and compact enough for my needs. Really don't need bluetooth plus already has an express pedal, which I would have to buy separate with the Blueboard.

Which would you recommend?

• edited April 2018

@gmslayton said:
    Old thread but Thought about getting the Blueboard but then I thought about the FBV Express. Seems to be bus powered and compact enough for my needs. Really don't need bluetooth plus already has an express pedal, which I would have to buy separate with the Blueboard.

I have both the Blueboard and the larger FBV Shortboard. I love the FBV due to it's feel and simple to set up USB control. Nothing wrong with the Blueboard, but the FBV works better for me and it's cheaper.

• @rad3d said:

@gmslayton said:

I have both the Blueboard and the larger FBV Shortboard. I love the FBV due to it's feel and simple to set up USB control. Nothing wrong with the Blueboard, but the FBV works better for me and it's cheaper.

Would you happen to know if both FBV Shortboard and Express models are bus powered?

• Yes. Both are bus powered.

• @rad3d said:
    Yes. Both are bus powered.

Awesome. Thank you! B)

• And now there's this:

• edited April 2018

Fbv is for guitar players..almost........blueboard is for pretenders.
    It’s all in the click...not tried using the fbv with anting other than the amplifi though.

• @MarkR said:
    And now there's this:

But that's where I spill my beer...

• @MarkR that looks pretty nice. I appreciate them adding the ability to use it as a standalone midi device but I am sure it only works that way with the 5 pin midi, not usb. Which is not an issue since my iCA4+ has 5 pin midi. Down side is I would still need to power it via DC or have another usb cable to power with a battery bank, to bypass the onboard audio interface, which I wouldn’t need in most cases. Plus the price is pretty steep for me right now at $299. It would be cool for an all iOS rig setup with a guitar and small midi keyboard.

• @AndyPlankton I just want something to control a looper like Quantiloop. Will both allow me to use the tap and hold functions and double tap actions?

I like that the blueboard has different bank presets. Not that I would use them, I was getting along pretty good the other day with just using my single sustain pedal as a loop trigger along with a few mapped keys on my axiom midi controller.