Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's your sound jamming nirvana?

I've finally found my iOS workstation setup nirvana:

Gadget with drums and bass programmed and playing in AudioBus.
AUM with my keyboard set up in AudioBus.

I can use the transport controls of AB while in AUM to get the drums and bass going. I can switch quickly between saves in AUM and switch to Gadget at any time to play synths in there.

So far I've had very few issues and it's so easy to change things on the fly. This is the nearest I've got to my ultimate iOS jamming workstation.

What do you guys use for similar uses?

Comments

• Great to see that Phasemaker icon in there! Makes me happy! B)

My happy place for jamming typically involves Effectrix loaded into AUM at some point. I'm still a drum/percussion guy at heart and Effectrix lets me turn any sound source into something rhythmically interesting while I'm twiddling knobs.

• edited December 2016

@brambos said:
    Great to see that Phasemaker icon in there! Makes me happy! B)

My happy place for jamming typically involves Effectrix loaded into AUM at some point. I'm still a drum/percussion guy at heart and Effectrix lets me turn any sound source into something rhythmically interesting while I'm twiddling knobs.

Yeah I've got three different PhaseMaker sounds and surprising how well they blend to make a great mix cutting sound. In this age of many people being 'Analog' sound obsessed, I think people forget how great synths like PhaseMaker can be for that lead synth sound.

@brambos how do you find running IAAs in AUM as far as reliability goes? I've had more issues with IAAs than AUxs

• edited December 2016

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @brambos how do you find running IAAs in AUM as far as reliability goes? I've had more issues with IAAs than AUxs

I think IAA is a total disaster in the way it is implemented. Not to mention how horribly overcomplicated and underdocumented it is (far worse than AU, likely because IAA is iOS only but they had to make sure that AUv3 would be good enough for MacOS too).

It feels like it was just a temporary stopgap between standalone-only and total integration, which they now offer through AU. But that's just my view. Few know what goes on in the minds of the Apple Architects B)

• @brambos said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I think IAA is a total disaster in the way it is implemented. Not to mention how horribly overcomplicated and underdocumented it is (far worse than AU, likely because IAA is iOS only but they had to make sure that AUv3 would be good enough for MacOS too).

It feels like it was just a temporary stopgap between standalone-only and total integration, which they now offer through AU. But that's just my view. Few know what goes on in the minds of the Apple Architects B)

Reminds me of the line in The Worlds End concerning the disabled toilet :p

• Ok, I've added a slight bit of movement to one of the sounds by using ApeFilter with some motion

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

I can use the transport controls of AB while in AUM to get the drums and bass going. I can switch quickly between saves in AUM and switch to Gadget at any time to play synths in there.

That's a good tip, I'm writing that down.

@Fruitbat1919 said:

All my jams are done live in AUM, only difference to yours would be the apps used, and I sometimes have two bus channels with master fx on each, routed into a third bus (C) for recording.

• edited December 2016

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

All my jams are done live in AUM, only difference to yours would be the apps used, and I sometimes have two bus channels with master fx on each, routed into a third bus (C) for recording.

Yeah I've been having my recording done in AB, but either way works. What you using mainly for your Master FX?

I was thinking of putting the ZMors EQ on each channel with any single fx on channel too. Or maybe audiEFFx by Virsyn on the individual channels and just the reverb on the master bus.

Maybe even have a full mix EQ in Auria before it's sent out? Maybe that may push my Air2 though. I try not to get too close to its limit in case lol

• Eventually I want another iPad to run separate but Linked percussion from. So I have two screens for use.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yeah I've been having my recording done in AB, but either way works. What you using mainly for your Master FX?

I was thinking of putting the ZMors EQ on each channel with any single fx on channel too. Or maybe audiEFFx by Virsyn on the individual channels and just the reverb on the master bus.

Maybe even have a full mix EQ in Auria before it's sent out? Maybe that may push my Air2 though. I try not to get too close to its limit in case lol

I'll use AUFX dub or space on the main channel. Favourite FX for separate channels at the mo are Moebius, Frekvens and Turnado

• Good thread. Not too much to add, but plenty to learn. @Fruitbat1919 I'd like to hear a little sample if you please...

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Eventually I want another iPad to run separate but Linked percussion from. So I have two screens for use.

Or a circuit ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Eventually I want another iPad to run separate but Linked percussion from. So I have two screens for use.

Or a circuit ;)

Yeah that would be nice too :)

• edited December 2016

Apesoft Sparkle and Apefilter are my most used processors, followed by Holderness fx and JamUp.
    I really like tracking in Multitrack DAW, resampling with AudioShare and control by TC Data and Oscilab mainly.

imho IAA was Apple's (clueless) response to Audiobus >:)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Good thread. Not too much to add, but plenty to learn. @Fruitbat1919 I'd like to hear a little sample if you please...

Yeah I suppose I should get a soundcloud (or whatever people use to post). Off to visit my wife soon, so will try get something sorted after the weekend. I really ought to start posting some sound examples with my ideas :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I'll use AUFX dub or space on the main channel. Favourite FX for separate channels at the mo are Moebius, Frekvens and Turnado

Yeah Frekvens is a great little AU :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Good thread. Not too much to add, but plenty to learn. @Fruitbat1919 I'd like to hear a little sample if you please...

Yeah I suppose I should get a soundcloud (or whatever people use to post). Off to visit my wife soon, so will try get something sorted after the weekend. I really ought to start posting some sound examples with my ideas :)

Well, it's very kind of you to post the setups pictorially (invaluable), but a 30 second smidge would be motivational also. Have an excellent and harmonious weekend Mister Bat.....