Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How many make music on iPhone?

I have 27 inch iMac, 15inch MacBook Pro, 9.7 iPad Pro...yet increasingly reaching first for iPhone when creative inspiration hits. It's surprisingly capable.

Are there any people here using iPhone primarily?

Comments

• encenc
    edited December 2016

I wouldn't say primeraly but I do use it fir music.
    I'm a little embarrassed to say that I only recently discovered I could swap gadget projects between iPad and iPhone :D
    I'm longing for the day cubasis is available on iPhone.

• I use it a lot for playing about with grooves and developing ideas when I'm on the go

• @realdavidai said:
    I have 27 inch iMac, 15inch MacBook Pro, 9.7 iPad Pro...yet increasingly reaching first for iPhone when creative inspiration hits. It's surprisingly capable.

Are there any people here using iPhone primarily?

I prefer iPhone than PC and IPad.

Can't explain why. Perhaps I feel more connected due to disproportionate amount of time I use it, or it is the closeness to my body movement.

I make even better music when on cardio equipment or at red lights etc.

• When it comes to music making my list of devices goes like this:

iPad Pro 12.9
    iPad Pro 9.7
    MacBook Pro mid 2012
    iPad 3
    iPhone 7

But there're several people making music with only an iphone or primarily with an iPhone in this forum, I just don't connect with the small screen, most of the time I'm bored navigating this huge UI from several apps on a tiny screen.

I only like apps that were designed with the tiny screen in mind, like thumbjam, otherwise I don't care about music apps on iPhone.

• edited December 2016

I did an entire album on my iPod touch back in the day suing beatmaker2, Nanostudio, multitrack DAW, and a pre-release version of JamUp

https://derekbuddemeyer.bandcamp.com/album/afterthoughts-remastered

• I didn't when I was on my 5 as didn't have any free space, but since getting the SE which has more storage, and is faster than my Air 2, I've started fiddling with a few music apps - Audulus, TriqTrac and Korg iDS10. Doubt I'd finish anything, but good for knocking up a few sketches and ideas.

• About a third of Audiobus users are on iPhone.

• i use it much more than my iPad just due to portability and that i always have it. every morning i clip my earbuds on to my shirt and am at all times ready. my last track was done about 95% on the phone in gadget, then some tweaks on the iPad before exporting to auria. the best thing for me on the phone is that since i always have it i can constantly tweak sounds and rhythms before moving on to later stages. so waiting in the kid's car line at school i can tweak mild evolving changes in the hi hat patterns etc. as much as i love my iPad and the apps i would lose since they are not universal (patterning, auria), i could manage perfectly well with just gadget on the phone and export to ableton to mix.

• edited December 2016

@Sebastian said:
    About a third of Audiobus users are on iPhone.

what if with the same Apple ID im using audiobus on iPhone and iPad It would count as two users or one user?

How detailed it's this info developers get about their apps usage?

• Strictly ipad. Use my iphone/pod to mess around. But once I got my ipad, I haven't looked back.

• I don't have an iPad so I use iPhone for all music stuff. There's definitely enough stuff available to do everything

• I find Thumbjam to be more expressive on the iPhone. The accelerometer is easier to use and more intuitive on the smaller device.

I also do a lot of menial composing on my phone. I use sunvox almost exclusively on the iPhone. I get bored too quickly and move to more fun apps when I'm playing the iPad.

• The iPhone display is more or less the size of the LCD I used to use on keyboard workstations. The only thing I really wanted back then was the ability to track vocals. It seems now with iPhone and a decent MIDI keyboard we can have that and more.

• iPhone primarily now. Even though I have an Air2 and an iPad mini2.

It just fits in better with my lifestyle as others have said. I like being able to hold it in one hand.

Gadget works generally ok.

It probably killing my eyesight though!

I'm thinking of upgrading to one of those super sized iPhones.

But I don't want to forego the headphone socket.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    iPhone primarily now. Even though I have an Air2 and an iPad mini2.

It just fits in better with my lifestyle as others have said. I like being able to hold it in one hand.

I might have to install Gadget and have a go, the SE screen's a bit small though.

Uff. Regular size phone must be tough. I have the 6 plus and gadget is fine except if i try to play one of the keyboards. That i leave for the ipad and keystudio. But for inputing notes and drawing in automation the iphone plus is fine.

• For the best on screen keyboard I recommend infinite or aleph Looper it's awesome and expandable! The

@vpich said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

Uff. Regular size phone must be tough. I have the 6 plus and gadget is fine except if i try to play one of the keyboards. That i leave for the ipad and keystudio. But for inputing notes and drawing in automation the iphone plus is fine.

• I love your music!!!

@DerekBuddemeyer said:
    I did an entire album on my iPod touch back in the day suing beatmaker2, Nanostudio, multitrack DAW, and a pre-release version of JamUp

• edited December 2016

I do. I used to use it way more than the iPad when I was commuting by bus. I reckon a lot of iPhone-for-music usage stems from the same idea as "the best camera is the one in your pocket".

• @Lacm1993 said:

@Sebastian said:
    About a third of Audiobus users are on iPhone.

How detailed it's this info developers get about their apps usage?

That depends on what/how the developer collects with analytics.

Sebastian, I'd be interested to know if that third == users or uses, if'n that's something you can/want to share. I find myself using AB way more often than not on the iPad and just the opposite on the phone. Think it's because all-in-one apps generally feel more comfortable for me on the smaller screen than a lot of jumping about.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I love your music!!!

@DerekBuddemeyer said:

Thank you! I wrote all that while sick in bed...lol.3rd gen iPod touch

5.5 inch screen makes a big difference. I went with 7plus because Apogee duet can charge and monitor at the same time using the lightning port.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    For the best on screen keyboard I recommend infinite or aleph Looper it's awesome and expandable! The

Thanks but that's fine. Not having a keyboard i like actually helps me do the routine stuff with more care. When i have a piano infront of me i get distracted easily

• The term "make music" is a stretch, but whatever it is I am doing, it's on an iPhone 6s Plus

• @okgm2 said:
    I find Thumbjam to be more expressive on the iPhone. The accelerometer is easier to use and more intuitive on the smaller device.

I also do a lot of menial composing on my phone. I use sunvox almost exclusively on the iPhone. I get bored too quickly and move to more fun apps when I'm playing the iPad.

I do prefer Thumbjam on an iphone/pod. That is for sure.

• edited December 2016

@srcer said:
    The term "make music" is a stretch, but whatever it is I am doing, it's on an iPhone 6s Plus

And

Infinite Looper and AUM help.
    Except mine's a iphone 5S.

• Derek posted upthread an album he made entirely in the iPhone versions of Nanostudio and BM2 -- as it happens, I've just put an album up on Bandcamp which I did entirely in Nanostudio on my iPhone 6+ over the last 9 months. Though I've got a ton of other stuff finished in other iPhone DAWs (especially Caustic, Xewton Music Studio, GB and Notion), this is the first time I've had ~40 minutes of material that sounded like it all wanted to live together under one roof. Almost everything heard is Eden Synth, except for sampled percussion and some samples brought in from Virtual ANS and Addictive Micro.

https://algaemetric.bandcamp.com/album/sixteen-seasons

• edited December 2016

iPhone 6 Plus only user here since my iPad 2 died. Still using my trusty SynthStation 25. ;)

Almost impossible to get away/on my PC these days, used to use Reason & Cubase there, on iOS I've probably spent the most time with BM2, but am now getting used to Gadget.

The few times I've performed with an iOS device live have been with ThumbJam, iShred and guartism.

I've got one track that made it into a game, which I made entirely in NanoStudio on my iPhone (probably a 4) some time ago...

• @realdavidai said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

5.5 inch screen makes a big difference. I went with 7plus because Apogee duet can charge and monitor at the same time using the lightning port.

So how's Gadget on an iPhone Plus screen?

I just bought one and it's on it's way!

• Gadget on iPhone Plus is totally doable IMO. I can even sort of perform on the in-app keyboard at that size, as long as it's not set to a 2 octave chromatic scale.