Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do you use Audio Unit Extensions?

How do you get Midi into them? External hardware controllers? Midi controllers in apps like Cubasis/AUM/Modstep? Stand alone midi controller apps routed into apps mentioned above? Asking for a friend.

Comments

• edited December 2016

External Hardware controllers and Modstep. MIDI delivered via AUM (from Modsteps port, not through AUM's port).

Although I use AUM deeply, I don't prefer to route MIDI with it as it presently won't automatically reconnect a disconnected port.. Can result in unexpected and nasty surprises. For Audio Units in my setup there is no alternative but I've not had any issues with them disconnecting. I couldn't actually say if they're any different to the MIDI behavior of AB2/IAA apps. I don't think so but I'll have a look. Audio Units came to my setup later so it could be that I'd just reached a point of general system stability already by then, but it's also possible that they could listen for MIDI info differently.

• For tracks: as instrument tracks in Cubasis
    For jamming: hosted in AUM with a chain of effects and external hardware for midi input

• edited December 2016

I primarily use AUM and route the MIDI source whether it's hardware controllers or MIDI apps to AUM and then from AUM to whatever combination of AU apps using the routing matrix in AUM. This way there is minimal MIDI setup because I can recall the routing of the MIDI as part of an AUM file.

• As instrument tracks in Auria Pro.

• @brambos

For jamming: hosted in AUM with a chain of effects and external hardware for midi input

Same for me. Only I sequence with something like Infinite Looper

For tracks (if I was to ever make a track out of Gadget) I'm thinking now of maybe BM2 sending multiple channels of midi into AUM hosting different AUs. Could be quite nice on an iPhone especially since BM2 now has link.

• @brambos said:
    For tracks: as instrument tracks in Cubasis

Same. Hardware setup is mostly on autopilot for Cubasis.

• Hosted in AUM, audio into Blocs, midi from Modstep.

• So from what I hear nobody is using the built in midi keyboard. Instead you're always triggering the AUX via other means (modstep, external keyboard, other apps, piano roll in cubasis).

• Software keyboard only gets used here for testing that a particular Audio Unit is working, if I'm not getting a sound from its intended MIDI source.

• @Sebastian said:
    So from what I hear nobody is using the built in midi keyboard. Instead you're always triggering the AUX via other means (modstep, external keyboard, other apps, piano roll in cubasis).

It's useful for testing that everything it's working correctly before getting to work or for troubleshooting later. I think most people use the virtual keyboard that way.

• So you guys don't even adjust the sound that way but you adjust it while a midi loop is playing or while you're using the external midi controller?

• @Sebastian said:
    So you guys don't even adjust the sound that way but you adjust it while a midi loop is playing or while you're using the external midi controller?

Never use the on screen keyboard.

• I export midi from Gadget and use the AUs in Cubasis. I tweak the souds while the midi loop is playing.

• I use the on-screen keyboard quite a bit for leads and monophonic bass. Also occasionally for drums

• edited December 2016

@Sebastian said:
    So you guys don't even adjust the sound that way but you adjust it while a midi loop is playing or while you're using the external midi controller?

Yes, I tweak/record AUs (and IAA) mainly to midi loops these days.

This has only recently become a thing for me now that I am using Blocs Wave in that the slice feature works best with material recorded with perfect quantification. If they ever allow moving of slice points (like Egoist, which is unlikely given their resolution and potential number of slices) then I would go back to using the internal keyboard far more often.

• I use AUs from Auria Pro but almost always use the on-screen keyboard. Auria's onscreen keyboard.

• Usually as instruments in Cubasis/Modstep/Auria/Aum

• @Ivan_Dj said:
    I export midi from Gadget and use the AUs in Cubasis. I tweak the souds while the midi loop is playing.

Forgot about that. Gonna replace a few tracks that way next time. Thanks.

• Modstep and ZMors, with Midi hardware, recording on desktop with Ju-X or Live.

• @Sebastian said:
    So from what I hear nobody is using the built in midi keyboard. Instead you're always triggering the AUX via other means (modstep, external keyboard, other apps, piano roll in cubasis).

No, I use the midi keyboard only. (We will see if that changes after Christmas...)
    In AUM, Modstep and Cubasis.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Sebastian said:

Never use the on screen keyboard.

Same here

• I use on-screen keyboards all the time. In Auria, in AUM, in Gadget, in soft synths. I also use apps like Soundprism or ChordPolyPAd or MIDI studio as controllers.

• All the ways mentioned for me. External hardware midi controllers via AUM, via a second device, midi controller apps like Lemur, Step poly arp TC data etc on screen keyboards too.

• @Sebastian said:

I tend to sequence (from either software or hardware) so that I have both hands free for the tweaking, which i prefer to do on a controller, but that is not always practical if I am switching between a few different AU's

I only use on screen keys if I don't have a controller available, e.g I'm in the car waiting for the missus to come out of a shop.

• @richardyot said:
    I use on-screen keyboards all the time. In Auria, in AUM, in Gadget, in soft synths. I also use apps like Soundprism or ChordPolyPAd or MIDI studio as controllers.

So SoundPrism instead of an on screen keyboard would be acceptable?

• @Sebastian said:

@richardyot said:
    I use on-screen keyboards all the time. In Auria, in AUM, in Gadget, in soft synths. I also use apps like Soundprism or ChordPolyPAd or MIDI studio as controllers.

No, not instead. As an option though it would be great, but a standard piano keyboard would need to be there as well.

• I use the Pads and Keys in Cubasis for sound tweaking, but mostly Beatstep Pro and Midi Keyboard

• I find purpose made on screen keyboards like SoundPrism are infinitely better and more suitable for the task than on screen piano style ones.

• edited December 2016

@Sebastian said:

Well... I really don't like soundprism way of working. I would prefer a virtual keyboard instead of something soundprism-like for audiobus 3.

Maybe as option instead of a replacement.

• @Lacm1993 said:

@Sebastian said:

Well... I really don't like soundprism way of working. I would prefer a virtual keyboard instead of something soundprism-like for audiobus 3.

Maybe as option instead of a replacement.

I would say that's a huge drawback for an app like AUM, the lack of drum pads. As long as we're making Christmas lists, I'd like an onscreen piano keyboard, a set of MPC-style drum pads, and a SoundPrism-like chord pad. If you're asking.