Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bluetooth vs Audio interface?

I know going through say an Apogee "ONE" or even any audio interface is gonna bypass the inferior Apple converters and DACS.. So my question is, is I play a Bluetooth ready keyboard like say for example a Korg Mikrokey AIR, am I still bypassing the Apple audio circuitry lime I would via an interface? I'm almost sure the answer is "No" but I'm just checking..

Comments

• edited December 2016

The main advantages of an interface like the Apogee are the preamps (for recording external audio like a guitar or vocal) and the digital-to-analog converters (for converting the digital sound on your iPad into an analog signal for your speakers).

The Mikrokey Air is simply sending midi messages to your device (bluetooth just removes the need for wires) which an app can then use to generate (digital) audio.

Does that help?

• the audio converters in current IOS devices are anything but 'inferior', even reknown hifi mags praise them.
    The mic input (a MEMS type with digital processing) can keep up with typical handheld recorder mics or a (say) an AT2020.
    BUT: you cannot adress it properly and it lacks the housing of mic capsule, which is quite important for sound delivery.
    (unmount a Shure SM58 capsule and speak to it in free air...) ;)
    IOS input is optimized for spech understanding, not fidelity by default.
    Set to 'measurement mode' results in a more linear response, but it will always capture a lot of room and that means 'bad sound' in most cases.
    It's not the electronic, signal to noise is about 60dB effectively.

But of course there's no regular preamp on board and there's only 1 input channel.

• Hmm, telefunky . I always heard that one gets much superior audio going through an interface, not necessarily Apogee , but even say a Zoom HR24 than going direct into the iPad (using say some sort of midi interface like the Korg turnkey.. But Good to know.
    @nrgb , you've answered my question completely.. Thanks so much..
    I love this forum.. gosh

• edited December 2016

I think we need to differentiate the INs from the OUTs. Midi in via cable, audio interface or bluetooth will give exactly the same result apart from possible latency issues but blutooth le midi is reportedly low latency so they are probably all the same - the is no audio or DAC involved.
    The OUTS is a different ball game because here we are converting digital to analogue and results will depend on the quality of the DACs and Amps.