Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT - Cubase 9 is going live today

Probably - Steinberg website i closed due to the release of CB9. Just a promovideo at the front page.
Looks very cool indeed - the sampler is finally there! But sadly no mention of multitouch support or Link.

Comments

• Cubase has always looked solid to me. Hate the whole USB licensing key thing though, and it's always kept me away.

• @1P18 said:
    Cubase has always looked solid to me. Hate the whole USB licensing key thing though, and it's always kept me away.

You only need the key if you are running it on more than one device. Otherwise you can have your hard drive as the "key"

• @BiancaNeve said:

@1P18 said:
    Cubase has always looked solid to me. Hate the whole USB licensing key thing though, and it's always kept me away.

You only need the key if you are running it on more than one device. Otherwise you can have your hard drive as the "key"

Even that isn't really straightforward though. I own one of their VSTs and it's a pain to get it functional. Maybe my experience wasn't helped by having to transfer it to a new machine, but at some point how hard can it be to just set up software to be downloaded and used? Most other companies do it.

• edited December 2016

I was leery of the dongle for a long time, but I've had it since Cubase 6 and haven't had any issues. It's actually been really handy when moving from stuff at work to home, or doing system upgrades, etc. In fact, this past week I was wishing some of my other software used the dongle, as BFD was down all weekend, waiting on a manual approval, because I had "exceeded my authorizations." That said, I still avoid anything iLok like the plague.

• Well I have Cubase Artist 8(plus €50 for the Dongle) & Steinberg want €129 extra to go to Cubase Artist 9. With Image Line FL Studio, the upgrade is free for life, & I don't need a Dongle. Until Steinberg do something special with WAV files( similar way to Ableton Live 9) I'm not upgrading. Propellerhead's Reason is a simular setup to Steinberg in paying for upgrading & extra for the Dongle. I'd probably wait to upgrade. Loading up a WAV file to BPM is a pain in the arse, where Ableton Live does it effortlessly...... You simply, drag from a folder, into a track, & it's all done automatically, then off you go wth your projects. No faffing around to get ideas out. ;)

• I went to Logic primarily to get away from Dongles...stopped using all my Dongled software. Now it's just Logic Pro and Spectrasonics on Desktop.

Nice to use Steinberg again on iOS where Dongles are not (yet?) a thing.

• Two of the new Cubase 9 features that strike me as potential IAPs for Cubasis are the 'sampler track' and the new EQ...

• @realdavidai said:
    I went to Logic primarily to get away from Dongles...stopped using all my Dongled software. Now it's just Logic Pro and Spectrasonics on Desktop.

It could be argued that your Mac is a dongle.

• @asnor said:

@realdavidai said:
    I went to Logic primarily to get away from Dongles...stopped using all my Dongled software. Now it's just Logic Pro and Spectrasonics on Desktop.

It could be argued that your Mac is a dongle.

Of course and agreed anything could be argued.

• @realdavidai said:

Similar. I had a problem with an iLok at the worst possible moment and I was done with ProTools for good. Downloaded Reaper so we could continue the session and never looked back. Though I did get Logic Pro eventually.

Funny, Steinberg's Cubasis LE is about as closed to dongled software as iOS has. http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mobile_apps/cubasis_le/compatible_hardware.html

• edited December 2016

@realdavidai
    I'd be all over Logic if I could use it on PC, as well. I looked into the Hackintosh route, but it appears to be a no-go with AMD processors.

• You can: it's called a "hackintosh".

• @theconnactic right, but it has to be Intel, so let me restate that as, using it on AMD based PC's.

• Lol! But still, you can do it using AMD hardware, but won't be able to use the latest and greatest OSX version most of the time.

• edited December 2016

@theconnactic said:
    Lol! But still, you can do it using AMD hardware, but won't be able to use the latest and greatest OSX version most of the time.

Everything I found on it said OSX on supports Intel, but if there is something out there that makes it compatible with AMD, then I will have another look. Thanks!

**Apparently I wasn't looking hard enough

• Went with the Elements version of Cubase 9, looked to be a good deal... Go to install, elicenser keeps crashing. :|

I don't know why Steinberg makes their desktop installation process so hard.

• @1P18 said:
    @1P18
    Is it true there is a way around the dongle I have Cubase but haven't discovered this.

• @livemike said:
    @1P18 said:
    @1P18
    Is it true there is a way around the dongle I have Cubase but haven't discovered this.

It's all explained here.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/technologies/elicenser.html

• edited December 2016

I was a Cubase user from Cubase Score v2 with the old parallel port dongle, right through to SX3 with the eLicenser, I had Cubase, V-Stack, Halion, Warp VST.........at around that time they did a move of the webpage when they were bought by Yamaha, we all got messages to login to ugrade our accounts, which I tried to do, but it kept failing.and little to no useful help from the support team at the time,..they then wanted the full amount for the next upgrade.

I stopped using it. Stopped making music for a while too...Don't get me wrong, the software itself is still excellent for full production on PC, but I didn't like the way I had been treated after being a long term user......I vowed never to go back to that sort of hold, hence why I never ventured into the world of Ableton.....

then one day I got an iPod touch....and the music making has started again :) I am still very nervous that something will happen and take it all away again though :(

• Finally got the eLicenser to work. Turns out you need the one downloaded from their website, and not the one they give you with Cubase 9. Which uh... Yeah... :|

Beyond that, really digging the Elements version. It's a great deal at $100. Pretty straightforward DAW more or less, but once really nice unique feature I found is independent track looping! Awesome, so for example to can continually loop a drum section on one track and then record another instrument on another track. Good stuff.