Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sampling with iPhone 6 - Ideas?

I want to do some sampling to then process and use in iOS apps. I know that I really should use an external mic to get a stereo input and the best audio quality, but, alas, I'm just not prepared to spend the money at this time. So, using just the iPhone 6, do any forum members have recommendations for a recording/editing app and methodology?

I was hoping to use Hokusai 2, but you can't specify the internal mic you want to use (I know some apps have this feature, and I want to hold the iPhone rotated 180 degrees to use the bottom mic.) Hokusai also does not rotate on the screen to allow this either. :(

At this point, I've tried Voice Memos, but AudioShare seems better as I can do some rudimentary editing there too, not to mention it's where I want to store all the samples anyway. (One interesting thing is that while the imported Voice Memos file shows (in AudioShare) as 'mono M4A', the file created within AudioShare shows as a 'Stereo WAVE'. Not sure about this as I know that the iPhone does not have stereo microphones.

So, any other suggestions that might work? Especially an app that allows selecting the bottom mic alone for input? I will have the iPhone mounted on a tripod for 'hands-off' capture, but any tips on your methodology are appreciated too.

TIA and cheers!

Comments

• IKs little mic called iCast Mic i think, i bought one for my daughter to use with her iPhone, and that little mic is super amazing for capturing audio with the iPhone or ipod. Ive used it with Audioshare and the quality is amazing compared to just the internal mic. I think i paid like $20 bucks on sale at musician friend or music 123. Highly recommended!

• fieldscaper?

• While I appreciate the recommendation, as stated, I don't want to spend anything (the iRig Cast is $50 Cdn). TBH, if I was going to buy a mic, it wouldn't use the headphone jack, but rather the Lightning connector.

I really want to just do with what I have, which means I have to use the internal mic. :wink:

• @sch said:
    I really want to just do with what I have

So, which apps do you already have?

• This comment has me really curious...

“but you can't specify the internal mic you want to use”

Are you under the impression that there is a mic in a different location than the bottom of the iphone 6?

• Audioshare, and enable measurement mode on your iphone mic (is an option in Audioshare, also an option in audiobus if you use into another app). It'll be mono but it does sound quite good.

• @syrupcore said:
    So, which apps do you already have?

Lol, probably easier to ask which ones I don't. :)

The ones that I've considered are Hokusai 2, AudioShare, Voice Memos, Blocs Wave... (I also have SoundScaper).

Love to find something that allows internal mic choice, such as FiLMiC Pro, in which you can toggle between the rear, front and bottom mics.

I will probably end up sticking with recording into AudioShare and then using Hokusai or some other editor for the fine editing.

Still love to hear anyone else's ideas though...

• edited November 2016

@boone51 I didn't realize there was more than one mic either. Bottom is the default mic. Top front ("receiver") is for speaker phone, rear is for video.

iPhone 6:

• I'm not sure if I understand what the benefit is of using one of the other mics other than the one on the bottom that picks up your voice. No matter what mic you use its still mono and its easy to point at a source with the bottom mic. I might be missing something. In any event, try the measurement mode, it makes a big difference.

• @sch I'm not sure about the input select issue but as far as Editing goes it gets no better for me than TwistedWave. Final destination is AudioShare but if I need to do any precise editing TwistedWave has no competition in my mind.

• @Proppa said:
    @sch I'm not sure about the input select issue but as far as Editing goes it gets no better for me than TwistedWave. Final destination is AudioShare but if I need to do any precise editing TwistedWave has no competition in my mind.

Seconded.