Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMini *still* not working with AB / IAA under iOS 9/10 ?!?! :-/

Retronyms board member - forgive me I can't remember who you are:

iMini was updated but STILL doesn't appear to be working properly with Audiobus or IAA :-O

I was planning to beta test the new rev - applied, got the ID registered, etc., but being unwell over that period did not actually get to beta test it.

Did anyone else here beta test it? I hope I wasn't the only one who was going to, and, without seeming to be critical, which I'm not intending :smile: , if you were beta testing did you mention to Arturia / Retronyms that AB/IAA wasn't working properly? (If so, it is somewhat lamentable that it wasn't fixed :neutral: )

This needs a concerted effort from us to Arturia / Retronyms to prod them to see this gets fixed.

I cannot recall who from Retronyms is here in the group now, but would you please take note of this. It's broken with AB / IAA in iOS 9/10 and needs fixing - pronto please!!!

Comments

• hmmmm - i was using it in AUM about a week or two ago - can't remember if it was via AB or IAA, but one of them for sure worked no issues. (other than the EXTREMELY loud preset volume levels - had to turn down the fader in Aum to almost 0.) iOs 9.3.1 ipad4

• edited November 2016

@Halftone said:
    hmmmm - i was using it in AUM about a week or two ago - can't remember if it was via AB or IAA, but one of them for sure worked no issues. (other than the EXTREMELY loud preset volume levels - had to turn down the fader in Aum to almost 0.) iOs 9.3.1 ipad4

Do you have, say, AUFX:* ?

If so, try adding, say, Dub, followed by PeakQ or the like after it. The output from iMini goes silent - even in AUM via IAA per the pic. below.

It'll be fine until you add PeakQ. Then the output of iMini will go silent. Try this with Animoog, Odyssei, iSEM (IAA) etc. and it will work just fine.

Same kind of effect in Audiobus, Auria Pro via IAA, etc.

• Just tried - I don't have PeakQ - but put Aufx Dub then Space in AUM and it worked

• i have the very same problems, a real shame

• Just remembered I'm not on the very latest Imini update. 1 behind ... So that might explain

• edited November 2016

No issues with iMini in Modstep via IAA, air 2 iOS 10.x...
    What I found in Modstep is that there are 2 AUFX Pushes, one is designated "key input", and that one did not play nicely with iMini. The other one did. Also I did not authorize AUFX Push to use the mic...not sure if either thing is relevant, but iMini sounded good through AUFX Push, an effect I haven't used much lately. Did not try AB

• It doesn't matter which FX are used - it's not an issue with AUFX but iMini @Littlewoodg

Interesting that it's apparently working with several consecutive FX (you did try that right?) in Modstep but not AUM, AB, Auria Pro, Cubasis

@Halftone this is broken in the current update and was in the one prior - which we had noted over on the iPad Musician FB group just after 10 came out - and discovered it was also broken in 9. Which is why it's noteworthy now - was hoping this update would fix it. Cannot be reliably used still with FX.

• The following fail also (i.e. iMini output is muted after adding the FX):

• ... however, BIAS Amps by itself works (As does AUFX:Dub by itself):

• Same issues with the same combinations under AUM, Audioshare etc. via IAA.

• @MusicInclusive said:
    Same issues with the same combinations under AUM, Audioshare etc. via IAA.

@Halftone said:
    Just remembered I'm not on the very latest Imini update. 1 behind ... So that might explain

I'm running the previous version of iMini, and can confirm the same issues. It's running ok in Aum, but goes silent if I add an FX to the chain. If I start the iMini arp running, switch to Aum, then add the FX I can hear the iMini signal with the effect, but when I go back to iMini I get the dreaded buzz.

Air 2, latest Aum and iOS but previous version of iMini.

• iPad Pro 9.7 iOS 10.0.2, latest iMini works fine in AUM with AUFX chain of Dub and Peak together. However it's still not liking AB. Loaded fine on its own. Tried Crystaline and Echopad no good. Took them out the chain then wouldn't play on its own silent.

• Tried it with BIAS only in AB still silent!

• it is not only a problem of iMini, it is the same with iProphet and I think also with phase 84, so it might be something in retronym's IAA code

• edited November 2016

@MusicInclusive
    Tried these configurations, no issues. Interesting, as you say. I'll try Auria IAA next.

Like in Modstep, in the Cubasis IAA fx selection pull down, all the Kymatica fx offer 2 choices for each effect, "midi" and regular.

I noticed in AB fx selector, these 2 choices aren't offered for any Kymatica effect except Push. (Choices Push offers are "key input" and regular. Both choices are available in AB for Push). In my tests I used regular rather than "midi" or "key input".

• @Littlewoodg said:

@MusicInclusive
    Tried this configuration, no issues.

Interesting... This is with the latest (or previous) iMini version right? And, either 9.3 or 10 - correct? Just checking we're checking the same things. :wink:

If so, then that's odd - and says something about how Modstep is implementing things in some different kind of way to AB, AUM, Audioshare, Cubasis, Auria Pro. Wonder what that is... Hmmm. :confused:

• @nick said:
    it is not only a problem of iMini, it is the same with iProphet and I think also with phase 84, so it might be something in retronym's IAA code

Confirmed. Same problem with both iProphet and Phase84 with slightly differing combinations. Interesting. I hadn't tried either recently with FX following. Huh.

PLEASE - Retronyms - needs fixing ^^^^^^ :smiley:

• @MusicInclusive said:

PLEASE - Retronyms - needs fixing ^^^^^^ :smiley:

:D

• Just tweeted to Retronyms:

iMini still broken in iOS 9.3/10. Same with iProphet/Phase84. Apps go silent followed by FX in IAA/AB chains. Please fix! Thanks!

• @Littlewoodg when you're testing, make sure to switch to the synth app, that's usually where the drop out of sound happens. for example when I stay within aum, I can add a bunch of effects to iMini with no problems but as soon as I switch to iMini, no sound

• @nick said:
    @Littlewoodg when you're testing, make sure to switch to the synth app, that's usually where the drop out of sound happens. for example when I stay within aum, I can add a bunch of effects to iMini with no problems but as soon as I switch to iMini, no sound

Correct. Good to point out for others who are checking.

• @MusicInclusive said:

@nick said:
    @Littlewoodg when you're testing, make sure to switch to the synth app, that's usually where the drop out of sound happens. for example when I stay within aum, I can add a bunch of effects to iMini with no problems but as soon as I switch to iMini, no sound

Correct. Good to point out for others who are checking.

@MonzoPro said:

I'm running the previous version of iMini, and can confirm the same issues. It's running ok in Aum, but goes silent if I add an FX to the chain. If I start the iMini arp running, switch to Aum, then add the FX I can hear the iMini signal with the effect, but when I go back to iMini I get the dreaded buzz.

• Works with AU effects! On iPad mini2 iOS10, I downloaded the updated iMini, put it in AUM, put in two Blamsoft AU effects and it runs beautifully. I added another channel with iSem as an AU with another Blamsoft AU effect and it's all working just fine.

• edited November 2016

AU FX don't work in AB though @TozBourne - and most of the FX I use are not available in AU form either yet. Retronyms need to fix the app so it works. (Them so they work)

• @MusicInclusive said:
    AU FX don't work in AB though @TozBourne - and most of the FX I use are not available in AU form either yet. Retronyms need to fix the app so it works. (Them so they work)

I understand, and hope it gets fixed soon...but I just wanted to mention that something (AU EFX) is working with iMini for anyone who may need to know.

• @nick said:

I see what you guys are talking about now: what I'm finding in Cubasis and Modstep, everything good to go as in my pics while playing in host, but switching back to iMini blows it all up...iMini by itself, going back and forth no issue.

Both synths work fine with IAA fx in Tabletop :)

• ah! let's all move to tabletop then :wink:

• @Littlewoodg said:

@nick said:

I see what you guys are talking about now: what I'm finding in Cubasis and Modstep, everything good to go as in my pics while playing in host, but switching back to iMini blows it all up...iMini by itself, going back and forth no issue.

Ah - so - Modstep isn't doing something special. OK. So, this is a problem there too.

• @Littlewoodg said:

>

And that's not 'strange' at all since they are completely different apps.

The iMini, iProhet, iMPC etc. are embedded in Code in Tabletop and not used as 'linked apps'. The built in instruments are optimised code for TableTop in similar way that most of the Auria plug-ins are embedded code into the app.

• @MusicInclusive said:
    Just tweeted to Retronyms:

iMini still broken in iOS 9.3/10. Same with iProphet/Phase84. Apps go silent followed by FX in IAA/AB chains. Please fix! Thanks!

Isn't Retronyms who dislike Audiobus?
    Haven't they always been late to the party?