Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need recommendations for apps for making music which is not "Electronic".

Hey..

I am just trying Loopy (on an iPhone 5 I borrowed) and I've recorded my classical guitar and me singing, so far so good..

I was thinking to get an iPad and an audio interface to use for creating sketches etc' but I think I'm a little "lost".
I am not into synths in any way. I am into ordinary acoustic and electric instruments.

Please help ma figure out what else can I do with Audio bus and loopy (my favorite app) for my purpose..

meanwhile I record myself singing which and could be using reverb as an effect in the effects channel.
same goes for classic guitar.
I could probably find a nice app for delay (for instruments).
I could use amplitude with an electric guitar. same for base guitar.
I couldn't use "Sample Tank" it doesn't run on the iPhone, I wanted to try some keys.

I am seeing so many apps listed but I didn't find that looked really great for "acoustic music".

I could've used a good drums and percussion app, keys like electric pianos and anything in a high level..

what would you recommend?

Many Thanks in advance :smile:

Roy.

Comments

• I'm more of an electric guitar player so I wanted to do exactly as you posted. But, then I found this site. If you are really good at getting only what you need then you'll find it here for sure. But like me, I started getting synth apps, drum apps , DAW apps etc....but it's been really fun!

For starters, I recommend getting Audiobus, as you will end up getting a DAW like Cubasis, or Auria. These are really top notch for recording vocals, drums, and acoustic instruments.

I bought the Beringher UCA 222 for like $30 on amazon. It's my main audio interface and it works like a charm.

Sampletank 2 does work on the iPhone 5s I have it and it's a great buy.

For drums there are so many choices but acoustic drums are best handled by Rock Drum Machine or Soft Drummer or even Drumperfect Pro which is awesome too!

Hope it helps a bit!

• Thumbjam. A great starter app after Loopy and you'll find plenty of utility once you are an iOS expert. The samples are mostly acoustic and ethnic instruments.

• Auria Pro would probably keep you going with its features and built in sounds for an age. Just add a few of the fx IAPs and sit down and learn its idiosyncrasies. The quality channel strip will be no end of help sorting out recording acoustic instruments and vocals. It's initially a decent wedge of cash even in iOS land, but it's a worthy long term investment :)

• bs-16i is a soundfont player, and you can find a lot of more "traditional" sounds for it - many free.

• Crudbytes apps:
    Heavy Brass
    iSymphonic Orchestra
    CMP Grand Piano
    Oriental Strings
    iCathedral Organ

• Why not just start with GarageBand? It plugs into AB.

• I will second Thumbjam. Tons of high quality acoustic sampled instruments, highly expressive control surface, and you can record multiple loops of different lengths, and mute/solo etc them all within the apps. Basically all you need to put a song together. Just have to mix it elsewhere.

• Second in the GarageBand and Audiobus! Great combo and add aum for nice start

• edited November 2016

Why so modest, @Roy? If you buy at least an Air 2, by all means go for Auria Pro: it can do not only sketches, but the whole production up to the finished song. Auria Pro comes with the Lyra sample player, which packed with a lot of hi-quality samples, and a lot of additional sounds you can download for free, including high-quality acoustic drum libraries.

I am a classical guitar player as well. Take a look at this instrumental song I made as a tribute to Leonard Cohen, who died last Monday (I used an iPad Pro, Auria Pro, an Apogee One and a MXL small diaphragm condenser):

• edited November 2016

@audiblevideo said:
    Crudbytes apps:
    Heavy Brass
    iSymphonic Orchestra
    CMP Grand Piano
    Oriental Strings
    iCathedral Organ

This.

Also, be sure to get an interface with midi ports and keys with midi out(or some usb hub and those with usb only), imo touch screen is a real pain in the ass to play.

Also be sure that you really want a sketch pad that expensive.

• MusicMemos (free) @ appstore would be good for you too.

• For making your own Drum loops to play over (I find it gives me a higher level of satisfaction/fun) I would reccomend checking out Patterning. You can also load your own samples into it. Here is a nice video of a bass player. Cant wait to emulate

• Korg module with Ivory expansion for pianos.
    Sampletank for all kind of sounds.
    Ifret bass for bass sounds
    Other apps from Ifret ( brass,sax,guitar)
    Drum perfect pro for drums ( absolutely a must for good drum sounds IMHO)

• +1 on Drumperfect Pro for real/natural sounding drums

• I use Auria.... also Beatmaker 2... we will be releasing Drum Session at the end of November for all your acoustic drum needs.... think EZDrummer for iPad...iPhone version coming soon...

• Definitely start with Garageband. See how it works for you (comes with lots of good 'traditional' instrument generators like drums, strings, pianos, organs, bass guitar...) and then figure out what holes need filling.

Surprised no one has mentioned Rock Drum Machine. Same dev has a few other drum apps that tilt towards different genres. Great sounds and rhythms, easy as pie to use.

For effects, check out the AUFX series. Great delay and reverb. They aren't AU yet but that's apparently coming at some point. I'm not sure which effects will work as AUs in garageband for iPhone.

• Surprised no one has mentioned Rock Drum Machine. Same dev has a few other drum apps that tilt towards different genres. Great sounds and rhythms, easy as pie to use.

ANY and all of Luis Martinez drum machines are the bomb!

• Thumbjam, Soundtank, bs-16i, Soundfont Pro, Patterning, DrumJam, iSymphonic, all of Luis Martinez's drum apps.

• classical guitar and vocals: AD480 is a close to perfect reverb match
    (it's more expensive than most other reverbs, but outstanding for a warm, dense sound that's still transparent)

• RoyRoy
    edited November 2016

Thank you all SO VERY MUCH!!! :smiley: So many great recommendations!!

Sorry I didn't get the chance to reply sooner, I was working and then celebrating my birthday :blush:

@theconnactic, Very nice track :smile:

@ToMess said:
    Also be sure that you really want a sketch pad that expensive.

And for all of you who offered me to use GarageBand or Auria, I am only into the iPad music making because of Loopy. I've found out I can get much more productive while working with "circles". it allows me to write a song/instrumental part very easy (not necessary fast), for me, visualizing the circles as the song plays or records makes it a MUCH more natural and fluid process in my mind, as I see and feel the beat, rather than the straight audio waveforms of any DAW. to me It makes all the difference.

So basically, I wish to use an iPad just for recording my ideas into it.
    so that is also why I was looking for apps that could offer more sounds which also sound real and are not electronic and could have a good workflow with Loopy.

I still have some work left to do, to check out and dig in deeper into the apps you've recommended :smile:

Thanks so much again!!!

Roy.