Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Questions about Studiomux - Help!

OK, after struggling for about 2 hours I think I kinda have Studiomux working, but the documentation is almost incomprehensible, so many aspects of it remain unclear.

For starters… Aggregate Device?

Apparently, one way of using Studiomux is to create an Aggregate Device using OS X's Audio MIDI Setup, something with which I have experience in the past. But how am I supposed to create an Aggregate Device when my iPad doesn't show up in Audio MIDI Setup?

Anyone have this issue? Maybe the Aggregate Device method is outdated and no longer works? It's hard to know. Most or all the videos about Studiomux seem out of date and the manual is one of the strangest and most confusing documents I've ever seen.

I have Studiomux working as an AU in my DAW, and I see Midi and Audio connections as 1/1 in the little Studiomux app in the menu bar, so I know my Mac is seeing the iPad USB connection, but when I go to create an Aggregate Device in Audio MIDI Setup, the iPad does not show up as a connected device. I see only my Audio Interface (MOTU 828mk3 FW) and Built In audio.

What is the deal here? Anyone?

Thx.

Comments

• edited November 2016

• edited November 2016

I don't understand what you mean with 'Aggregate Device'. Maybe it's because I don't have a Mac. The setup with Studiomux is, at least in my place, very simple. Transferring MIDI, OSC, and audio via USB. The app works flawlessly since day one.

What exactly is the problem? Maybe it is better to send a support request to the developers because I feel I can't help you in this situation.

• edited November 2016

@Phil999 said:
    I don't understand what you mean with 'Aggregate Device'. Maybe it's because I don't have a Mac. The setup with Studiomux is, at least in my place, very simple. Transferring MIDI, OSC, and audio via USB. The app works flawlessly since day one.

What exactly is the problem? Maybe it is better to send a support request to the developers because I feel I can't help you in this situation.

Yes, Aggregate Device is a Mac-only thing. What DAW are you using, BTW? Just curious.

• i can only help by confirming that aggregate devices are recommended, not outdated, and when studiomux is connected i can see the ipad in the audio midi setup app.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    i can only help by confirming that aggregate devices are recommended, not outdated, and when studiomux is connected i can see the ipad in the audio midi setup app.

Thanks @wellingtonCres! It is helpful to know Aggregate Device is working for some users. I wasn't sure, because I remember originally it was the only method, before the plugin was created. The manual has only minimal details about the Aggregate Device method, and why or how to use it.

Can you tell me what DAW you are using? Studiomux setup is different for every DAW, and my DAW (Digital Performer) is one of the ones not covered in the manual, so I am left guessing about certain things.

Also, what version of Mac OS X are you using?

Thanks

• Aggregate devices work fine for me. You don't need to set this up unless you actually want to use studiomux with other audio devices, if not you can use it directly. I'm not sure why studiomux would not show up in your Audio/MIDI settings page, it will be listed using the name of your iPad. Maybe there's a way to force a refresh.
    If you can't get the audio device to work, you should try the VST, that shouldn't require any additional set up.

• i am using both reaper and live on el cap

i find studiomux works well for midi, but i have never been able to get dropout free audio. a pity.

• @JiggyWig said:
    Aggregate devices work fine for me. You don't need to set this up unless you actually want to use studiomux with other audio devices, if not you can use it directly. I'm not sure why studiomux would not show up in your Audio/MIDI settings page, it will be listed using the name of your iPad. Maybe there's a way to force a refresh.
    If you can't get the audio device to work, you should try the VST, that shouldn't require any additional set up.

Thanks, @JiggyWig . I have been able to get it working with the plugin in my DAW. MIDI is simple and straightforward. Audio is working, but in order to be able to record the output of the track requires all sorts of multiple routing to aux tracks and such. After 3 days, it's still not making sense, but I'll take another stab at it today.

In the meantime, I thought Aggregate Device might be a more straightforward option, if only I could get the iPad to show up in AMS.

• edited November 2016

@wellingtonCres said:
    i am using both reaper and live on el cap

i find studiomux works well for midi, but i have never been able to get dropout free audio. a pity.

Sorry to hear that @wellingtonCres. Which iPad or iPhone are you using? Seems to be dropout free so far with my iPad Air 1, based on my limited initial tests.

• i have an ipad air 2. intriguing that you do not get dropouts...

have you tried plugging the ipad straight into the mac, no usb hub, and also possibly alone, no other audio interfaces attached?

itunes/ifunbox/dev tools not running?

• @wellingtonCres said:
    i have an ipad air 2. intriguing that you do not get dropouts...

have you tried plugging the ipad straight into the mac, no usb hub, and also possibly alone, no other audio interfaces attached?

itunes/ifunbox/dev tools not running?

Yes, straight into Mac Mini USB 3 port. Have not tried a USB hub, but will try. Yes, I have tried without the audio interface. I do have the iFunbox app installed on my computer, but have never launched it while Studiomux is running. Are you saying iFunbox interferes w/ Studiomux?

• i was suggesting that simplifying the setup might help, and that anything which uses the usb ports might be a source of problems. but normally only when they are running. and i was suggesting not using a hub.

super long shot but you could try deleting audio device prefs...
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546085-My-interface-isn-t-showing-up-when-connected-to-my-Mac

• I'm surprised to read about the problems you guys have. At my place, even with an iPad2 and a cheap Windows tablet as Studiomux host, everything works flawlessly, be it only MIDI/OSC, or be it MIDI/OSC and audio.

Using a USB hub could possibly the cause of dropouts, but from my experience this never happened to me. I can only assume that a cheap, unpowered USB hub might cause problems.

• edited November 2016

@wellingtonCres said:
    i am using both reaper and live on el cap

Have you tried reinstalling the app, and maybe the desktop part as well? I have air2 as well and yosemite and works flawlessly in ableton

• @wellingtonCres said:
    i was suggesting that simplifying the setup might help, and that anything which uses the usb ports might be a source of problems. but normally only when they are running. and i was suggesting not using a hub.

super long shot but you could try deleting audio device prefs...
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546085-My-interface-isn-t-showing-up-when-connected-to-my-Mac

I tried with and without a hub. I tried removing my two PACE iLoks. I tried deleting the preferences mentioned in the link above. Nuthin. Still no iPad showing up in Audio MIDI Setup! Arrggghhh!

Is there anything else I need to do in Studiomux, other than launching the app and plugging it into a USB port on my Mac? Shouldn't that be enough to get AMS to see it?

I'm totally stumped at this point. Only thing I can think of is that I am on an older version of the Mac OS (10.8.5). 10.8 and above are supported, acc. to the Studiomux website. But maybe not all features . ???

• edited November 2016

@Phil999 said:
    I'm surprised to read about the problems you guys have. At my place, even with an iPad2 and a cheap Windows tablet as Studiomux host, everything works flawlessly, be it only MIDI/OSC, or be it MIDI/OSC and audio.

Using a USB hub could possibly the cause of dropouts, but from my experience this never happened to me. I can only assume that a cheap, unpowered USB hub might cause problems.

MusicIO has generally worked "flawlessly" for me through many projects. But lately I'm getting audio dropouts, so I am now trying Studiomux. It also seems to be working "flawlessly" other than routing issues and the lack of clear documentation. MIDI works flawlessly. Audio seems to work with the plugin (although I'm still sorting out routing). But I cannot get the aggregate device thing to work.

As to why I am not getting audio dropouts with Studiomux at 256 buffer on an iPad Air 1 and @wellingtonCres apparently IS getting dropouts on an Air 2 ... I am at a loss to explain. What version of iOS are you using, @wellingtonCres ? I am using 9.3.5. Also, what version of Studiomux? I'm using the latest, which is 2.23 for the OS X server and 3.0.1 for the iOS app.

I should add that I am only testing with low demand scenarios -- one synth at a time on the iPad being triggered from my DAW. I have tested with several apps, including ODYSESSi, Magellan, FM4, Synth Book, iM1, and Korg Module, so far with no audio drop outs. But limited testing of a few minutes per app. Maybe it gets worse over time.

Also, I always reboot the iPad to clear out any memory and make sure I am running ONLY Studiomux and the one synth app.

Hopefully this provides useful data for comparison.

• edited November 2016

Never tried it on anything earlier than os 10.10, so can't say if that is your problem, but I have never had any issues using it on 10.10 onward. I don't want to suggest an update, but that may be your issue. Back everything up first if you do. I'm currently running 10.12 on a mid-2010 MBP and it is working very well for me.

• @asnor said:
    Never tried it on anything earlier than os 10.10, so can't say if that is your problem, but I have never had any issues using it on 10.10 onward. I don't want to suggest an update, but that may be your issue. Back everything up first if you do. I'm currently running 10.12 on a mid-2010 MBP and it is working very well for me.

Yes, that would be a last resort. I'll wait to hear from Studiomux tech support first. I do plan to update my OS eventually, but I'd rather just get on with making MUSIC! :-)

• in addition to starting the pc app, and plugging in the ipad, you are running the studiomux app on the ipad too, yeah?

i am on 10.11.5 on the mac and 10.1.1 on the ipad, and latest studiomux on both

by cranking the buffer up on the mac to 512 i was able to reduce but not eliminate the dropouts, doing a similar low demand test

• Don't want to intrude on your thread @Lady_App_titude but I'm watching with interest. I've found Studiomux to be a bit fiddly and their support to be, erm, not so great. I had an issue a couple of months back and never heard from them after 3-4 emails. I normally don't post stuff like this online until after I've given a dev every chance to resolve an issue. I have to say I've had similar experiences with their other app Touchable. Like Studiomux, that app depends on server software. They do seem to update the server software for both apps regularly, but multiple times their apps have been unusable while waiting for an update. I'd be curious to hear how your MusicIO experiences compares to Studiomux.

• edited November 2016

@wellingtonCres said:
    in addition to starting the pc app, and plugging in the ipad, you are running the studiomux app on the ipad too, yeah?

Yes. And I have tried various things like start the studiomux app first then plug in, plug in first, then launch studiomux, studiomux with and without an instrument loaded in a channel, all manner of variations in hopes that there was some magic order in which things had to be launched or something. In all cases, the iPad will not show up as a connected audio device in Audio MIDI Setup, but it does show up as connected in the little Studiomux server app on the Mac up in the menu bar like this:

Midi Connections: 1/1
    Audio Connections: 1/1

I was just wondering if, in addition to launching the iOS Studiomux app and plugging in to the computer, there was anything else I needed to do in the iOS app to get it talking to the Mac. ??

i am on 10.11.5 on the mac and 10.1.1 on the ipad, and latest studiomux on both

by cranking the buffer up on the mac to 512 i was able to reduce but not eliminate the dropouts, doing a similar low demand test

That is really puzzling. One difference is the version of iOS. I'm still on iOS 9. It's possible the 10 upgrade made IAA less efficient somehow. ?? Did you have the same dropouts under iOS 9?

About the only other thing we haven't compared is the Mac itself. I am using a Mac Mini with a Quad core i7 chip and 16GB of RAM.

Here are my full system specs for reference:

iPad Air 1
    iOS 9.3.5
    Studiomux: 3.0.1

MacMini (i7 Quadcore, 16GB RAM)
    OS 10.8.5
    Studiomux server 2.23
    MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV (MIDI interface)
    MOTU 828mk3 (audio interface)

• edited November 2016

@ecamburn said:
    Don't want to intrude on your thread @Lady_App_titude but I'm watching with interest. I've found Studiomux to be a bit fiddly and their support to be, erm, not so great. I had an issue a couple of months back and never heard from them after 3-4 emails. I normally don't post stuff like this online until after I've given a dev every chance to resolve an issue. I have to say I've had similar experiences with their other app Touchable. Like Studiomux, that app depends on server software. They do seem to update the server software for both apps regularly, but multiple times their apps have been unusable while waiting for an update. I'd be curious to hear how your MusicIO experiences compares to Studiomux.

Please DO "intrude on my thread". Your information is helpful. I guess I won't hold out hope of a reply to my email, then.

My experiences with MusicIO have been mostly excellent. I have had extensive communication with them and did beta testing and helped them identify and resolve a couple of bugs (e.g, the "creepying latency bug of v. 1.3). When I first started contacting them about a year ago, I got a replies right away and they provided excellent tech support, clear communication and systematic problem-solving ideas to help nail down difficult problems.

Bug fixes aside, MusicIO has been easy to use and stable with low latency on a variety of projects, with a variety of apps, including Korg apps, Beathawk, iMaschine, TC-11, Synth Book, Magellan, and probably a few others I can't think of just now.

However, last week, after not using MusicIO since Sept., I tried it again and have been getting audio dropouts. MIDI still works fine. I haven't been able to find an explanation or answer about the sudden audio problem. I may have updated my audio driver for my MOTU interface, I'll have to see when I last did that.

The only really disappointing thing I can report is , the last time I tried to contact MusicIO tech support, in September, I did not get a reply for about a month! By that time, I had solved the issue myself (it was my error, forgetting to check a certain checkbox). They apologized and said they've been "really busy" -- which I hope means really busy improving MusicIO! :-) But, I suspect they are probably working on other things.

• Thanks @Lady_App_titude . Reading through the forum tonight I discovered that MusicIO is no longer providing support for Windows. That's pretty much a non starter for me. I can accomplish 90% of what I need to by exporting audio and MIDI to the computer via Dropbox and the like. Good luck on getting your issue sorted.

• edited November 2016

@ecamburn said:
    Thanks @Lady_App_titude . Reading through the forum tonight I discovered that MusicIO is no longer providing support for Windows. That's pretty much a non starter for me. I can accomplish 90% of what I need to by exporting audio and MIDI to the computer via Dropbox and the like. Good luck on getting your issue sorted.

Yes, they still make a Windows version, but they just couldn't keep up with email support to field questions. Frankly, given the multitude of variables in the Windows world, I can understand their predicament. Anyway, it probably works fine on most systems, but I can see how you can only devote so much time to answering email about a $10 product. One of the downsides to the low rent economy of iOS, I suppose.

• Presuming you've got the audio/midi in/out to your satisfaction - there shouldn't be a need to create an aggregate device. If the Studiomux server is connected like you mention, you should be good to go.

Typically, you'll have to Click on Enable in the Audio Devices section (Go to Audio MIDI Setup -->Window--> Show Audio Devices) - but, if the iPad isn't showing there...

Make sure iPad and Desktop are on Same Network.

Make Sure something is Actively Sending MIDI from the iPAD when you are checking the Audio Devices for a connection to your iPAD.

You can also Reset your Location Preferences on the iPAD. This will force the Desktop and the iPad to Re-Pair and "Trust" each other again, and can fix the problem of the iPAD not showing up in Audio/MIDI. Settings-->General-->Reset--->Location & Privacy. (This also resets other preferences like "Allow Microphone" ~ So check 1st).

• edited November 2016

@Ocsprey said:

Typically, you'll have to Click on Enable in the Audio Devices section (Go to Audio MIDI Setup -->Window--> Show Audio Devices) - but, if the iPad isn't showing there...

Yes, I have the Audio Devices window showing in Audio MIDI Setup, and it shows my connected MOTU 828mk3 audio interface, and Built In, but NOT the iPad.

Make sure iPad and Desktop are on Same Network.

The iPad is plugged directly into the Mac Mini's USB port. Not sure what you mean about Network. They are sharing the same Internet router, as do all my computers and hand held devices, if that's what you mean. ??? Only difference is how they connect to the Network. The Mac Mini is connected to the Network via a wired connection, and the iPad is connected via WiFi (when it needs to connect to the Internet). But I don't see how any of that has anything to do with Studiomux and its USB connection, however.

Make Sure something is Actively Sending MIDI from the iPAD when you are checking the Audio Devices for a connection to your iPAD.

Not quite sure what you mean by "Actively Sending MIDI from the iPAD". First, I'm not having any problems w/ MIDI. Second, I'm only interested in the iPad receiving MIDI, not sending it. And it DOES receive MIDI fine.

Maybe you mean I need to have an IAA app loaded in a channel in Studiomux, which I do. I have tried numerous different synths loaded in channel 1 (ODYSSEi, Module, Magellan, FM4, etc.). But I haven't tried any that send MIDI. I just tried loading Fugue Machine into channel one, but it made no difference. iPad still doesn't show up in Audio MIDI Setup.

You can also Reset your Location Preferences on the iPAD. This will force the Desktop and the iPad to Re-Pair and "Trust" each other again, and can fix the problem of the iPAD not showing up in Audio/MIDI. Settings-->General-->Reset--->Location & Privacy. (This also resets other preferences like "Allow Microphone" ~ So check 1st).

An excellent idea, @Ocsprey ! Unfortunately, I just tried that reset and it made no difference. Yes, I had to click "Trust" again when I first plugged in the iPad. But it did not cause it to appear in AMS. :'-(

Your idea also made me thing that maybe my Adblocker software on my iPad was somehow causing the iPad to not appear in AMS, but I just disabled it and it made no difference.

The iPad is seen by the Studiomux server app, and I can send and receive MIDI and audio with the plugin with in a DAW, but I cannot get the iPad to appear in Audio MIDI Setup as a connected audio device. I have no explanation as to why.

• edited November 2016

@Ocsprey said:
    Presuming you've got the audio/midi in/out to your satisfaction - there shouldn't be a need to create an aggregate device. If the Studiomux server is connected like you mention, you should be good to go.

Yes, fortunately, I have finally figured out the set up and workflow for my DAW with the plugin, and probably won't need the aggregate device workflow option. But it would be nice to know how it works and if it offers any advantages.

The main reason I struggled for so long is that the documentation is so poor, and because Studiomux works differently in every DAW. The manual covers several DAWs, but does not cover my DAW (Digital Performer), so I had to work by analogy, trial and error, and guesswork.

However, I now finally have the workflow sorted for Digital Performer for how to send and receive MIDI and audio, and how to record your Studiomux track as an audio track. I even took the time to write up a step-by-step guide, which I'm happy to share if any other Digital Performer users out there ever need it.

I've tested MIDI and audio in my DAW with several different apps loaded in Studiomux on the iPad, including the new ODYSSEi app, and all seems super!

But I still have no explanation for why MusicIO's audio suddenly stopped working correctly for me (a separate issue). And I still have no explanation why my iPad, when running Studiomux and plugged into my Mac via USB, does not show up in the Audio Device window of Audio MIDI Setup.

• how does the latency and jitter seem? i was never able to get reliable crisp recordings from ableton but there are a lot of moving parts and i could easily be the problem

• @wellingtonCres said:
    how does the latency and jitter seem? i was never able to get reliable crisp recordings from ableton but there are a lot of moving parts and i could easily be the problem

I've only done quick tests with Studiomux so far (load a synth, play a few riffs and chords, do pitch and mod wheel, load another synth, rinse, repeat...), but so far excellent. 256 buffer. No audio glitches. As good as I used to get with MusicIO. Recording is done digitally through USB and sounds great. (This all with DP. I have Ableton, but have not tried using an iPad with it.) This whole crisis, did, however, prompt me to try recording out of the iPad's headphone out. I have to put the headphone volume on full, and adjust the preamp gain on my audio interface to full, and that is way inferior and noisy. That's why I'm so delighted to be able to route and record audio via lightening/USB again!

This experience has also made me look seriously at a hardware solution, like maybe an iConnectivity interface (so I wouldn't have to rely on constant app changes and updates), but I'm sure that has its own share of issues too.

• Make Sure something is Actively Sending MIDI from the iPAD when you are checking the Audio Devices for a connection to your iPAD.

Not quite sure what you mean by "Actively Sending MIDI from the iPAD". First, I'm not having any problems w/ MIDI. Second, I'm only interested in the iPad receiving MIDI, not sending it. And it DOES receive MIDI fine.

Maybe you mean I need to have an IAA app loaded in a channel in Studiomux, which I do. I have tried numerous different synths loaded in channel 1 (ODYSSEi, Module, Magellan, FM4, etc.). But I haven't tried any that send MIDI. I just tried loading Fugue Machine into channel one, but it made no difference. iPad still doesn't show up in Audio MIDI Setup.

What I mean here, is that occasionally for me, the iPAD won't be recognized, even though its plugged in, unless an app is actively sending midi messages, which trigger it to show in Audio/MIDI Setup. So in your above example, fugue machine just opened standalone, sending note data or whatever, would be a better test. Studiomux will still work in this scenario since it's running as a server. Have you setup a Network Session and IAC Bus?