Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quick poll: Who here runs Linux?

Quick poll, not for any reason, just to see what we see.

Who here runs Linux, on a desktop or laptop? I don't mean Android or any other device that has a linux kernel in it, like a printer or NAS, I mean running linux as an actual computer in the normal sense. Maybe not as your primary one, but if you have got as far as setting aside a proper computer and have linux running on it and it works, that counts.

This is the actual poll, itself, here:
  1. Who here runs Linux?29 votes
    1. Affirmative
      44.83%
    2. Negatory
      55.17%

Comments

• On a Raspberry Pi for tinkering purposes, not sure if that counts.

• edited October 2016

Yep.

All non-Mac computers in my house run either Linux or ChromeOS.

• edited October 2016

@brambos said:
    On a Raspberry Pi for tinkering purposes, not sure if that counts.

Good point - yes, let's count that. NOOBs / Rasbpian or similar presents you with something not far off any other Linux computer's experience, so faced with a full install on a 'big' computer, you'd hardly know the difference (except it'll be a far more pleasant and productive experience all round).

• Yes we keep the only laptop in the house running with Linux.

Many features of the laptop don't work anymore. Not because of Linux, just because they are broken. Some ports have water damage. The webcam is broken (cool). But my wife uses it a bit.

It has two partitions one Linux, one Windows 7. Soon to be only Linux as the Windows 7 got corrupted early on and I no longer have the disc (stolen by a neighbour).

I will soon update the Linux to be the only OS.

This Dell laptop has been beaten black and blue for over 7 years!

• I have a netbook that's about 5 years old now that I dual-boot with Ubuntu Mate and Windows 10. I also keep Linux on a USB drive for live booting purposes. Linux has proven most valuable to me as a utility.

• @brambos said:
    On a Raspberry Pi for tinkering purposes, not sure if that counts.

+1

• Another interesting question would be who here runs a Hackintosh ;-)

• @Munibeast said:
    Another interesting question would be who here runs a Hackintosh ;-)

You should go ahead and ask it (but as a separate poll). I'd half-answer yes as I'm currently seeing my i7 hackintosh not boot at all into the new Sierra clover install I've been trying to get working for the past week or more, so I'm not actually running it - merely rebooting it with different options every time I walk past.

• Oh, and nobody's mentioned Sunvox yet.

• @u0421793 said:
    Oh, and nobody's mentioned Sunvox yet.

Was this whole thread a setup? You're better than this.

• @telecharge said:

@u0421793 said:

Was this whole thread a setup? You're better than this.

No, not at all, but I remember setting up Sunvox on my little old netbook running Ubuntu Mate, and was quite impressed at how high performance / low cost the whole little bundle was. I must admit, I hardly touch Sunvox these days though.

• @u0421793 said:
    No, not at all, but I remember setting up Sunvox on my little old netbook running Ubuntu Mate, and was quite impressed at how high performance / low cost the whole little bundle was. I must admit, I hardly touch Sunvox these days though.

I hope you know I was just kidding because of your famous refrain. I guess I needed a smiley or a wink.

• On another site I frequent, there is a guy there who always replies to any music deal with:

"Damn, no Sabaton or Alestorm or Gloryhammer or Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly..." :D

• I second a Hackintosh poll!

• I've got two old windows boxes I bought for a few bucks each that I've turned into Linux machines for my kids. I'm running Ubuntu spins on them.

• Only when I have to :)

Thankfully Renoise is 'cross platform' and both SunVox and MilkyTracker are available for Linux.
    I do have a VirtualBox config with Ubuntu on my MacBook Air...

• Why run Linux?

• edited October 2016

@AudioGus said:
    Why run Linux?

It depends. Usually it's best for old PCs / netbooks. Small RAM footprint and no need of extra antivirus.

EDIT: They are also great for providing low-latency audio with onboard cards and there are some good freeware opensource apps for audio/video editing.

• I also like to run Chromium, which is what Google's Chrome is based on, so you get Chrome's benefits without the Google Privacy issues (if you're smart about it).

• @u0421793 said:

Or this...

• edited October 2016

@AudioGus said:
    Why run Linux?

because I got tired of cleaning viruses off the kids' windows machine.

So, yeah, the their PC is running Linux.

• I have a netbook running LXLE right now but since I got my macbook air its been sitting dormant. My only issue with Linux (and I love it, don't get me wrong) is that when you have to interact with a windows environment there always seems to be that one little thing that won't work.

The only thing I use windows for is recording from a Yamaha m7cl through ethernet, because the auvitran streaming program is windows only.

However, I tried to go Linux full time for music at one point and there's just too much tech stuff to do (and constantly fix) that gets in the way of being creative.

• I do on a couple of development machines. One Ubuntu, one Red Hat.

• I also have a DOS 6.2 machine because Voyetra.

• Xubuntu on main computer (from USB drive, still need Windows occasionally), Ubuntu + XFCE on Chromebook (crouton).

@AudioGus said:
    Why run Linux?

Snappier experience, and I want to run real apps on my CB (Blender 3D, in particular).

45% (current affirmative) is kind of surprising. I just saw an article that Linux has been, for the first time, on over 2% of total computers for three months in a row.

• @bigcatrik said:
    45% (current affirmative) is kind of surprising.

I'm in the affirmative camp, but Linux is not my daily driver. I may go a week or two without booting Linux.

Also, those into computer based music production tend to be techie types.

• @telecharge said:

@bigcatrik said:
    45% (current affirmative) is kind of surprising.

I'm in the affirmative camp, but Linux is not my daily driver. I may go a week or two without booting Linux.

Also, those into computer based music production tend to be techie types.

Those who run it may also be more inclined to respond as well.

• wimwim
    edited October 2016

Plus the results are going to be skewed with a bunch of new converts now that the word is out that SunVox runs on it.

• I've tried it in their past. Too much of a PITA for me.

• Tried it too. Too much complicated and the linux community was arrogant and not helpful.