Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Figure quantize frustration.

I am getting a bit frustrated with figure. I want to have my efforts quantized- but when I set it to 16 it takes over and turns my lovely deeeeeeee into de de de de de (as per suggested in the 'rhythm' heading I suppose). When I set it to zero- there is no quantize at all. Is there a way to set it up in order that it quantizes (in the same way that iKaossilator does) without taking over my good intentions?
Thanks

Comments

• I don't think so. It's either completely free or with the rhythm settings.

• Ok thanks for that- now I understand why I have kept giving it another try then leaving it again
    Cheers

• This Quantise-Issue is just one of those 'things' many that make me almost throw away my iPhone when using Figure. I do like the sounds but playing the app is a lesson in frustration as is the 'arpeggiator' that is hardly musical at all more like random madness... My vote goes into giving Figure a proper Grid-Editor ala Korg Gadget...

• @Samu said:
    This Quantise-Issue is just one of those 'things' many that make me almost throw away my iPhone when using Figure. I do like the sounds but playing the app is a lesson in frustration as is the 'arpeggiator' that is hardly musical at all more like random madness... My vote goes into giving Figure a proper Grid-Editor ala Korg Gadget...

That would make it a top app- it surely would be worth their while to do this.

• @Samu said:
    This Quantise-Issue is just one of those 'things' many that make me almost throw away my iPhone when using Figure. I do like the sounds but playing the app is a lesson in frustration as is the 'arpeggiator' that is hardly musical at all more like random madness... My vote goes into giving Figure a proper Grid-Editor ala Korg Gadget...

+1

• I don't think you're supposed to think too much about what you do in Figure. I get more out of it when I just wiggle my finger all over the place on both notes and automation, adjusting rhythms until it sounds good. The drums are still a little frustrating though.

• Setting the rythmn to 1 might work?

That might let you play long notes, but quantise them to the nearest 16th.

Or maybe it quantises to the start of the bar (probably not what you want).

Worth trying though.

• Yep, that works. Set rythmn to 1 and the notes you play are triggered quantised to 16ths

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000
    4 years and around 400 Figure tunes and still I learn something new. Thanks! :smile:

• For some reason this is not working for me- it's still unpredictable mush. It's hit and miss and nothing like iKaossilator- as far as I can muster.

• Well figure does have a latency when recording. It's more noticeable when you don't have any rhythm patterns set. Maybe that's what you're noticing. Or maybe its my ears that are confused.

• edited September 2016

I could be oblivious, but I don't notice any latency using an iPhone 6.

***Oddly enough, as soon as I posted this, I started having weird issues with input lag.

• @asnor said:
    I could be oblivious, but I don't notice any latency using an iPhone 6.

***Oddly enough, as soon as I posted this, I started having weird issues with input lag.

Input lag- yes - that's the sort of thing I was meaning.

• edited September 2016

@robosardine Try setting the rhythm to 0, record a rough note input, then set the rhythm to 1 and see if that quantizes the performance

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Yep, that works. Set rythmn to 1 and the notes you play are triggered quantised to 16ths

Thank you :)

• Mmmm :- that's not working for me. I can't get a line of straight notes:- it does seem better though. Can you get like 16 straight de de de de de's all in a row without any mushy bits? :p

• @robosardine make sure the note ties are set to 0 as well by sliding your finger horizontally on the rhythm dial. Maybe that will help.

• @robosardine said:
    Mmmm :- that's not working for me. I can't get a line of straight notes:- it does seem better though. Can you get like 16 straight de de de de de's all in a row without any mushy bits? :p

Maybe "Shuffle" is on ?

• Hi- ties at zero- shuffle is (now) off- thanks- but still no dice. I have a basic drum track. I have Grittay selected on the bass. I have zero selected on rhythm. I record and play 16 notes in succession and roughly in time. I change rhythm to one- result is not 16 notes played in sequence- there are squiges and little bits chopped off here and there.

• If yore playing 16 notes why not just set rhythm to 16, ties off, and keep your finger on the pad? Or set rhythm to OFF. I think we have to accept that figure is a bit of an instrument in its own right and there's a way to play it and a way not to play it. You wouldn't attempt to get a strummed chord by swiping up and down across a grand piano would you? I say this all tongue in cheek. Good luck!

• Thanks- yes- I can understand where you are coming from here andI am aware of the points you are making. I am just trying to get the thing to play as close to the way iKaossilator does- where what you put in is what you get- (quantized) without any help, prompting, suggestions, ideas or interference from the little whirlys in the sky :)

• @robosardine said:
    Hi- ties at zero- shuffle is (now) off- thanks- but still no dice. I have a basic drum track. I have Grittay selected on the bass. I have zero selected on rhythm. I record and play 16 notes in succession and roughly in time. I change rhythm to one- result is not 16 notes played in sequence- there are squiges and little bits chopped off here and there.

So strange, we must be missing some. Figure is the only app running ?

• I'm oddly intrigued by this issue so one more idea: you're not recording over a previous recording pass are you? Because that will surely cause squiggles and drop outs. One more thing, make sure there's no automation recording left over from a previous recording. You gotta go in there and clear each one of them one by one by one.

• Hi- tried it all- still not possible for me to get 16 straight notes as we discussed- it remains choppy. Can you actually do this?- 16 precise quantised de de de de de's :- I can't and believe me I have tried. Anyway on a happier note- I have actually quite enjoyed messing about with the whirlys at times as I try to 'Figure' it all out so it has given me some inspiration to get stuck in and experiment further and just enjoy the groove.
    While we are here- what's with the mirror image back to front thing with the tie whirly- what does that do/ mean.
    Cheers

• It seems if you're too far out of time, it just cuts off the note.