Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I need an interface that will allow me to connect external stereo effects

I want to be able to connect my Strymon pedals and route not only audio coming in through the interface's inputs, but also audio from the iPad itself through the effects and back in.

Question 1: What interface would allow this? I was looking at the Audient stuff. Would the ID22 work? Or maybe you know something better.

Question 2: I know on the desktop there are plugins to compencate for the latency of sending audio out into effects and back in again. Do any iPad DAWs offer similar functionality?

Comments

• Any Class 2 compliant multichannel interface should do. Personally I like the FocusRite line. MiMix, AUM, Cubasis, and Auria/Auria Pro will all route to/from the additional channels.

• edited September 2016

you write 'pedals'... more than one and each with a stereo return path.
    The ID22 is probably the best option regarding sound quality (I have it myself), but it would require an additional Adat io-converter to receive the pedal output (2xstereo - 4 channels) and send it to the optical input of the interface.
    The hardware inserts of the ID22 have a different purpose: they feature studio grade mono returns for high quality preamps and compressors, not FX processors with stereo returns.

Long story short: nice interface, but too complicated and too expensive for this application.
    I'd second a Focusrite or similiar 8 channel interface, too, that receives the pedal's return on analog inputs.

• I have a stereo delay and reverb, but they are connected together. So I only need two ins and outs. So I guess what you are both saying is really I just need an interface with more ins and outs. Two outputs dedicated to running into the effects and two inputs to recieve the effected signal. I'm just wondering how this would work if I wanted to record both a wet and dry signal, but also be able to monitor the effected signal while recording. I guess I just route it in cubasis somehow, right? But then wouldn't latency be an issue? That's what made me think a hardware solution might be necessary.

• Alright, I think I've got my head around this whole process. Seems to me I'm probably better off tracking dry or with plugins as a stand in and then running the recorded track through the effects after the fact. Cool. So you guys like Focusrite? I'd probably be looking at the 6i6. My only concern is that they say you need a computer to set up routing and whatnot and I'm 1000% iOS.

• well, if you have the pedals chained to a single return you may rather consider the iConnectAudio4+.
    It's 100% IOS, comes with powersupply and charching cable for one IOS device and allows a second iPad/iphone simultaneously.
    You can record both dry and pedal effects (connected to input 3 and 4) in one go.
    Forget about the iCA2+ (just in case) as it lacks the accessories which are rather expensive, so in the end the stripped down version is almost the same as the iCA4+

Focusrite is ok for a budget interface (and a common suggestion) but nothing spectacular.
    In particular their 'acclaimed' preamps are NOT the same as their premium line (ISA and Red)