Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Lightning Extension Cable

So I did a search on this forum but Extension came up with a lot of results and after several pages I did not see anything relevant. I have a Zoom iQ6 and I really like it but I don't use it very often as I have to take my case off. Does anybody have any experience with the lightning Extension cables? I am thinking about this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HRJVHK8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3UZZ0M53CX865

This would make it easy to use the iQ6 with my case and I would use it more for field recordings if I could walk around with my phone still in its protective otter box case.

Thanks

Comments

• I would be wary of any cable without MFI certification.

• I would have bought the iRig Mic Field a long time ago if it wasn't for the stupid 'design flaw' that makes it impossible to use it with just about any case for the iPhone 5. Even the iPad Air 2 'smart case' causes some problems as the 'point-of contact' on the iRig Mic Field is 'flat' and doesn't reach the lightning port thru the case.

For me it would be enough with a small lightning 'brick' (similar to the the Lightning to Micro-USB) but Lightning->Lightning as it would give a bit more extra space to attach devices while still keeping the cases on.

The cases for iPhone 6/6S work better with it....

• I've bought the 6 ft MFi cables from Amazon and they work fine for charging but I just realized I've never used them for audio yet.I don't see why they wouldn't work.
    I would offer to test tonight after work but I'm going out of town and won't have a chance until Sunday. I don't know if they have any cables longer than 6 ft.

• @yowza Thanks. Not sure if I am going to order it today or not but if you could test yours out and let me know that would be great. If it does, 6ft would be awesome but I could settle for the standard 3ft as well.

@BiancaNeve yea me too but I couldn't find anything on the apple site. And a few of the other Extension Cables stated that they are for charging only.

• @gmslayton

No problem I'll test it on Sunday. To clarify the one I ordered is a 6 ft lightning cable not an extension cable. I think the key is for it to say Apple certified which is MFi and I don't believe the extension cable you linked says that.

Here's the link to the one I got. There are tons of reviews there so maybe someone has already confirmed that audio and MIDI work.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Apple-Certified-Lightning-Cable/dp/B010S9N6OO/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1472216171&sr=1-1&keywords=AmazonBasics+Apple+Certified+Lightning+to+USB+Cable+-+6+Feet+(1.8+Meters)+-+White

• @yowza Maybe I miscommunicated what I was looking for. I am after a cable extender that plugs into my phone or iPad and has a lightning port on the other end as well. This will allow me to use a lightning accessory like my Zoom iQ6 without having to plug it directly into my iPhone.

So basically a male lightning to Female Lightning cable.

• edited August 2016

I wonder if a lightning to usb and cck would allow you to do that. I'll have to try it later. Oh, wait a sec... you'd need a male to female lightning connector. I wonder if the one that comes with the apple pencil could be modified to work. It has a little extra lip on one end so it only accepts the pencil. Anyway, I think even if it's possible it's not at all practical.

• @Matthew said:
    I wonder if a lightning to usb and cck would allow you to do that. I'll have to try it later.

At least that's the fastest way to transfer photos/video from one iOS device to another :)
    (ie. Hooking up Lightning->USB and USB->CCK->Lightning between two devices).

• edited August 2016

@gmslayton as Samu pointed out lightning is a high speed protocol, which means high frequency...
    I wouldn't hold my breath one second on this construction
    Even the regular connector appears as a nightmare, if I consider it's frequent disconnect/connect beeps whenever I touch the cable...
    They sell these things as 'charging cable' for a reason, otherwise someone would have mentioned the extended usability.

• Hi gm - I had the same problem, wanting to use my iPad in the iODock without having to remove the case. I bought the CableJive 2' extension cable and used it successfully for the most part, but I should highlight 2 issues I had.

1) Worked fine most of the time, but -occasionally- I would plug in and get a message stating the iPad did not recognize the device. At this point audio/info would not transmit. An iPad reboot would fix this. Not a big deal, but sort of a pain. And it did not happen a lot, just every so often.

2) After several months of use, the square plastic fixture on the male end of the cable showed cracks. I did not put excess strain or abuse, it just seemed that the plastic used was not very durable. After I noticed the cracks, I tried to be as gentle as possible, but eventually they got worse until the point where the plug itself became loose and the connection became unreliable. Seems to me a better quality plastic or rubber 'jacket' is required.

I have not replaced the cable yet. CableJive seems to have a good reputation, but my experience was not entirely satisfactory. But that said, I may end up going with them again. But I will probably reinforce that plastic with a coating of 5-minute epoxy.

• I've not used this one per se but I can attest to the CableJive brand. They are top notch!

• @TGiG said:

I've not used this one per se but I can attest to the CableJive brand. They are top notch!

Ja, dat's de one I bought as described in my post above. Thx for the link I was to lazy to provide...

• edited August 2016

Me three (or four? :D) . I've had this model for over a year and it works. Also, i'd be careful. I bought another extension from another brand (3 foot) and it's not as good as the 6 foot (doesn't work 100%).

I even use this 6 ft one for Duet Display, which you might not expect to work with something like this.