Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Usine Hollyhock

Anybody here use it? Just bought a license the other day, the built-in modules are very much geared towards sample manipulation & granular stuff which is right up my alley. 400 modules built-in plus another 100+ free from the online library. Looking around the web though users seem pretty scarce.

http://www.sensomusic.org

I need a new computer though, CPU is riding high.

Comments

• Never heard of it. Sounds like a minor Dickens character (never a bad thing).

• edited August 2016

@rhcball said:
    Anybody here use it? Just bought a license the other day, the built-in modules are very much geared towards sample manipulation & granular stuff which is right up my alley. 400 modules built-in plus another 100+ free from the online library. Looking around the web though users seem pretty scarce.

http://www.sensomusic.org

I need a new computer though, CPU is riding high.

Bought it when I bought Surface Pro 3, for its multi touch-ness. I think it's perceived as a niche tool, though a lot of iPad music app ideas appeared in UH much earlier.

Now that people have taken on iPad as a production/ performance environment, UH is in some ways the next step, it's a very well worked out as a touchscreen modular performance and production space, but is pro spec (vst host, SMPTE, Surround sound, video and light show editor, etc)

I'm not using it currently but that's no reflection on the tool: I haven't put in the time to learn it...though now that u asked I'm likely to revisit.

Curious to hear how u get along in/with it...

• edited August 2016

@rhcball
    Since you've already bought in you obviously don't need convincing about the coolness. I can suggest you get a touchscreen machine, if you are buying into more cpu. The Surface pro 3 has been more than equal to the task, and they're going for around $600 these days.
    What it reminds me of on Surface is iPad, and several favorite iPad apps, (including controllers like Lemur and Touchable) but all on one screen linked by time line.

• @Littlewoodg I was considering a Surface but then I hear criticisms about 'em and don't know what to think. I don't require a touch interface, I'm more interested in making my own instruments, i'm currently straddling a border between Max, Hollyhock, and pd, trying to feel out what to pursue.

I haven't put a ton of time into it yet but there's already some cool sampling mechanics that I haven't encountered elsewhere (though I'm not the most well-traveled of users). I also spent probably too much time fashioning my own superficial device design template, color scheme, etc.

And apparently they're at work on a version 3.

• @rhcball said:
    @Littlewoodg I was considering a Surface but then I hear criticisms about 'em and don't know what to think. I don't require a touch interface, I'm more interested in making my own instruments, i'm currently straddling a border between Max, Hollyhock, and pd, trying to feel out what to pursue.

I haven't put a ton of time into it yet but there's already some cool sampling mechanics that I haven't encountered elsewhere (though I'm not the most well-traveled of users). I also spent probably too much time fashioning my own superficial device design template, color scheme, etc.

And apparently they're at work on a version 3.

Touch is a nice extra with Usine (I find I use the qwerty on surface as often as touch, true with Usine, I have Live on there too and that's all bt mouse and keyboard.)

I think I'm on a similar hunt, looked into Oscillot, bought into some outboard modular systems: Nord Micro Modular, Axoloti, Creamware Pulsar. (These do their dsp/heavy cpu lifting for instrument making/modular synthesis with some type of outboard hardware module, or sound card, but have their editors on your screen...I have the nord up and running, waiting for the hardware pieces for the other two.)
    A start-where-I-am method has been connecting zMors modular to my DAW via Audreio, which ought to be a similar thing to these out board methods I'm getting into...you can build some deep stuff in zMors, and use the iPads cpu to make that happen. The other start-where-I-am was Reaktor...

• Looks interesting. You get a lot of effects. How do they compare quality wise with VSTs and iOS effects?

• @mkell424 said:
    Looks interesting. You get a lot of effects. How do they compare quality wise with VSTs and iOS effects?

Just getting in, Usine wise, so I'm limited in what I can testify to but The stuff I've done sounds rich...it also hosts vst and vst fx...

• @Littlewoodg said:

@mkell424 said:
    Looks interesting. You get a lot of effects. How do they compare quality wise with VSTs and iOS effects?

Just getting in, Usine wise, so I'm limited in what I can testify to but The stuff I've done sounds rich...it also hosts vst and vst fx...

Cool. How much does a license cost? The website doesn't tell you unless you log into it.

• edited August 2016

@mkell424 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@mkell424 said:

Cool. How much does a license cost? The website doesn't tell you unless you log into it.

It does. Just odd layout/colors. http://www.sensomusic.org/buy.php

Pro with lifetime license 229€
    For EDU or non-professional 69€, or 49€ to upgrade.

Features are essentially the same. Pro gets you lifetime updates and real support. those are the 60% off prices btw.

• Got my first Patchblock arriving Saturday, too. I envision a day when every sound I use has been self-coded at a molecular level. I'll be 91 and dead but whatev.

• @rhcball said:
    Got my first Patchblock arriving Saturday, too. I envision a day when every sound I use has been self-coded at a molecular level. I'll be 91 and dead but whatev.

We'll build some kind of memorial, probably eatable.

• @rhcball said:
    Got my first Patchblock arriving Saturday, too. I envision a day when every sound I use has been self-coded at a molecular level. I'll be 91 and dead but whatev.

I looked at Patchblocks too- looks cool too, cool community. Found out about Axoloti from that forum. Curious to hear how u like PBs...

• edited August 2016

I'm going to put Usine on my list.

When I search for patchbook I get bags. I must admit I've never heard of a patchbook. Thanks.

• Couldn't find a demo/trial link. :/

• Patchblocks: http://patchblocks.com

@Korakios you might need to set up a user account first, I'n not sure how it works cuz I just straight-up buy things without demoing them which leads to a lot of heartbreak sometimes.

Here's the other thing @Littlewoodg mentioned that is even cooler than patchblocks, if you're the type who can solder pots and make enclosures: http://www.axoloti.com

• Strange, there is a link in the download section ,couldn't find before....
    It is great app, but it would take a lifetime (for me) to master it. Wish I was teenager with a surface pro!

• @Korakios said:
    Strange, there is a link in the download section ,couldn't find before....
    It is great app, but it would take a lifetime (for me) to master it. Wish I was teenager with a surface pro!

Making music on the iPad trutned me into a teenager, and it was a short hop from there!

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Korakios said:

Making music on the iPad trutned me into a teenager, and it was a short hop from there!

I wake up hoping to be trutned every morning, but so far no luck...

• edited August 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Korakios said:

I wake up hoping to be trutned every morning, but so far no luck...

Oops - pre-coffee spelling of introrsed

• i made a granular itty-bitty-sampler with overdrive and bitcrush and the LED buttons light up and i feel so accomplished that this patchblock is making noise (so important to tick that CONTROL RATE box)

• How long does its battery last?

• Documentation says it should be good for four hours, I haven't drained it yet

• two degenerate patches i have made on my lonely single patchblock

• @rhcball Mmm Mmm Mmmmmodular - degenerate yes, and tasty too.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @rhcball Mmm Mmm Mmmmmodular - degenerate yes, and tasty too.

I ordered two more from Perfect Circuit to keep the little guy company. (they're on sale right now, 15% off) https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/products-by-brand?brand=1210

• @rhcball said:

@Littlewoodg said:

I ordered two more from Perfect Circuit to keep the little guy company. (they're on sale right now, 15% off) https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/products-by-brand?brand=1210

A three-peat is definitely indicated
    And a keyboard module is coming -

• @Littlewoodg said:

@rhcball said:

@Littlewoodg said:

A three-peat is definitely indicated
    And a keyboard module is coming -

You mean the MIDI module? It's already out. Or is there an actual hardware keyboard coming? The website is sort of a mess and it's hard to see if there's anything new going on.

I didnt bother getting the MIDI block cuz i only have one controller with 5-pin ports and its a Trigger Finger, not a normal keyboard. Though I'm wondering if those USB-to-MIDI cables will let me send MIDI from my computer or ipad, seems like they should but i never tried it.

• found an answer